1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

what are your worst encounters?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by pharick, Dec 20, 2000.

1. pharick Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] mine has to be with the arkanis gath...

dunno exactly what they are
    (cos i dont live long enough to find out...)

They are probably generated by the game when you really mess up a quest, in my case:

I was send by mae'var to edwin but i got into a fight with him...
    however mae'var still wants me to talk to him so i kill mae'var too, after that the arkanis gath appaer and backstab you

killed my party in 2 seconds :)

2. desperado Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Can you read the others topics please... We talk about it many times .... and about this shadow thief guy too.

3. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Forget about desperado.

Worst, it Firkraag. What a fight"!!!!

Take me couple of try to have the good strategy.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Firkragg did seem to go on forever. My mage was killed in that fight. Usually if one of my character's dies, I just reload. Out of respect, I continued on in the game until I could get him resurrected. That was definitely a good one!

I also thought that lich/beholder fight in the Bridge District was a pretty good fight too! The AI on spellcasters and thieves is so much better in this game than in BG.

They act more like "people" trying to do their best to stay alive. I like that!

5. JohnnyV Gems: 3/31

The only encounter I had to move the game difficulty to easy for was when I got jumped by a bunch of vampires in wakeen's promenade. But I didn't know about using protection from negative material plane at the time. Anyway I kept reloading and dying until I lowered the difficulty from normal to easy. Next was the beholders dungeon in the underdark, the durned beholders blew away my protection magic as fast as I could cast it, and I had that cloak of reflection or whatever it's called. I had to reload many times in that fight. Regretfully I cheated on Firkragg and magic missled the heck out of him while he was blue which gave me a big edge, but my strategy should have handled him in any case. lots of summoned creatures which I sent at him from multiple directions so he couldn't get them all with one wing beat, then my 2 mages used lower resistance on him. All my characters where hasted I would attack with them one at a time while the dragon was killing summoned creatures and whack on him and when he would turn to take care of them have them run away and have someone else whack him, also had all charcters not in melee using ranged weapons. the continued resupply of summoned creatures to keep him busy was the key. At least this was less cheesey then BG1 where you could just summon up hordes of creatures and overwhelm anything.

6. desperado Gems: 3/31

Veteran

Wassup: It's seems that you were very unplease by my last post about the search engine; that wasn't my attention. But I think that It could save many times for newbie to learn what they really want by using the search engine. Anyway you'll be please because I'll not post anymore in this forum for a while. I'm taking a break for Christmas times (after the 22th december). Merry Christmas everybody!! Maybe I will come back here one of these days (probably...)

7. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Wow. Maybe it's just me, or maybe you're lucky.

What happened with me was that after a few swings that didn't connect, Firkraag used wing buffet and blew away all meleers on all 8 corners of the compass, then proceeded to vaporize Aerie (who was currently casting breach) and Minsc (who was blown in her direction) in one blow before my Hasted Boots of Speed character could get back to melee range (being the first to be blown away).

As I saw them turn to ashes I sad, "F*CKER! I'M GOING TO KILL YOU IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO!" and proceeded with the battle. A few wing buffets more, one dispel magic and all my protections were gone, a few claw attacks and breath weapons and everybody else except Jaheira was dead, and numerous mad unconnecting swings from me and two claws from Firkraag and I was torn to bits.

Then he walked towards Jaheira while she was still picking herself up from the ground....

8. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Desperado--> I understand the use of the search engine. But it always more fun speaking with people than just reading old posts.

I'm sure you can understand.

9. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My most interesting fight was against the Twisted Rune, you need a very good tactic against them. None of my characters died, but it was a very long fight with a LOT of spells casted. I want to thank my Wizard Slayer that killed the Master Wizard of the Rune :).

The hardest is maybe agaisnt Kangaxx because I had to reload a lot of times to find the good tactic. As I finnished the Twisted Rune at my first try, I prefered that one.

Well... yes, the hardest one is maybe against Irenicus... the final fight ;)... but, I won't give any spoilers in this thread...

10. JohnnyV Gems: 3/31

more firkraag
    yes the first few battles went like yours.
    thats is why in the last battle I would feed in melee monsters one or two at a time from opposite directions. firkraag killed a couple of elementals a berserker a couple of bears some tiger like creatures, many many lesser creatures. jaheria, aerie and viconia kept feeding in summoned creatures, and healing minsc and my kensai mage finally all jaheria's summon spells were gone minsc and I were seriously hurt so I sent in Jaheria and she killed him with her club. but remember I started my last post by admitting I started by cheating aerie and I both used that spell sequencer to hit him with multiple magic missles while he was still a blue circle, when I play BG2 through again I won't do that.

11. Immoral Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I would definately have to say Kangaxx!

(This is from an earlier post of mine)

Anorath vs. Kangaxx

Anorath the Kensai/Mage sought to help a trapped soul by bringing him the golden torso, legs and arms requested of him, only to find that he had been duped by a very powerful Demi-Lich into reassembling the greatest of evil.
    Of course he could not allow this type of evil to exist in the world as it would unbalance the delicate nature of good and evil (True Neutral) so, he told the creature to leave this plane, never to return and he would allow it to live.

Kangaxx only laughed and of course refused! He charged Anorath with a multitude of high level spells. Kangaxx was the first to attack as he had trapped the tomb with his unholy Symbols (Death, Stun and Fear).

Luckily, Anorath had summoned a Skeleton Warrior to stand at his side before speaking to Kangaxx and it was the target of the first attack. Anorath quickly cast a spell that would allow him to see through all the illusions the Liches are so famous for (True Sight), much to the chagrin of Kangaxx as his next move was to duplicate himself to try and outnumber Anorath.

There were several spells swirling around the tomb from both Anorath and Kangaxx: Fireballs exploded, Lightning bolts crashed and even Meteors rained. After an intense battle Anorath was sensing that the battle was soon to be over and he was feeling quite confident, so he cast a spell to make quick work of the foul creature (Improved Haste) and attacked Kangaxx with both his enchanted swords (Celestial Fury and Dak'kon Zerth Blade).

Anorath was quite relieved when he saw the Lich's carcass fall to the ground but, all of a sudden the magical beast rose once again! This time in the unnatural form of a golden skull that floated high in the air!

Anorath's relief was cut short when he realized that he had not killed Kangaxx but, he had released it's evil in it's most unholy form!

Anorath was taunted by Kangaxx as blow after blow that would kill any normal man or beast were deflected with ease. He realized very quickly that his normal weapons were not going to be enough to destroy this foul creature and threw down both his trusty swords that had earned him the reputation as "Hero Of Trademeet" and chose to use the most powerful weapon he possessed.

To the untrained eye it looked like a regular staff but, to those seasoned in the ways of Magical weapons it was was much, much more (Staff Of The Magi +5).

Kangaxx saw this and decided to end this charade quickly by using the most powerful of spells. A spell that would not just kill Anorath but, send him to the center of the Earth for all eternity (Imprisonment).

Luckily Anorath was smart enough and could cast his spells fast enough to avoid this fate that some say would be worse that death itself and protected himself with the greatest of his magicks (Spell Immunity - Abjuration).

Kangaxx was furious! No one had ever been able to aviod such a spell! He seemed not to believe that it was even possible as he kept casting it over and over again.

This gave Anorath the break he was looking for: He used a spell that doubled his physical prowess (Tensor's Transformation) and pummelled Kangaxx into oblivion with only his magical staff.

After the long, hard, grueling battle Anorath was at last victorious. He bent down to where Kangaxx had dropped his ring on the ground when he disintegrated. As he picked it up he could sense a great magick. He sat down and put his aching back up against the tomb and fell into a well deserved deep sleep.

(OK, OK, I know that was a little dramatic but, how would you feel after going one on one with Kangaxx?)

Immoral

12. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Great story, Immoral, bravo! *applauds*

Keep up the good work ;)

13. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

My most difficult fights are always the ones I'm not ready for. Both times they have been against mind flayers that killed half my party and sent the rest running for cover and scrambling to finich them off(think I would know better after the first time). Powerfull mages that I'm not expecting have also sent me reeling. The Dragons have been great fights, but so far I've managed to bring all(or almost all) my characters through them. Same for litches(except for the one in the gates district-not a fun suprise). However, to be fair, I haven't gone after the twisted rune boys or the demi litch yet. Should be a lot of fun :)

14. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

[​IMG] What about the demon knights in the underdark??

They took me ages to kill finally, and eventually i had to decide on the oh so cowardly tactic of sending i loads of summoned animals, then closing the door. They killed my main character so quickly in a straight up fight

15. JohnnyV Gems: 3/31

game 2, Jaheria's cursed, only a couple of days into the game game time. I have

me paladin
    jaheria
    minsc
    jan
    aerie

everytime I walk in this guys house that cursed Jaheria and he summons three mages they cast mind spells on my party, then my party stands there and gets killed or kill each other. I can kill the guy while he is blue, and he already cursed jaheria so that is only a little cheesy but jeez, I smoked them all easy first game. I think I will go to the copper coronet pick up anomem and see if that helps.

16. Orgrim Doomhammer Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

With the right magical weapons and if your party is level 16 or higher, using the right tactics. It should be easy to kill any oponents in the game except for Akanis Gath, Elmister and Malcor Harpel.

I think Kangaxx the Demi-Lich is impossible to kill if your party is at a low level and even with +2 weapons. Even with the holy Avenger +5 sword it only does 1-3 damange per hit. He is 100% magic and elemental resistant. He is also immune to imprisonment spell for some reason. Im surprised that he does not cast a constant 9th level meteor swarm instead of a constant imprisonment spell. I think even the Lich Vecna may not be as powerful as Kangaxx the Demi-Lich.

If you had a NPC party member with the same power as Kangaxx the Demi-Lich, just send him into battle against a group of beholders, while the rest of the party sit back and watch.

17. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Jonny, if you go to the govenment district, and goto the concil of elders building or whatever, there is a guy inside who you can talk to. He is pretty darn useless, but when you go outside, a guy should approach you, one of the wizards who serves the guy who cursed jaheira, and if you pay him 500 gp, he will not turn up with his 'friends', so you battle the guy all on your own, or for 2000 gp, he will turn up, but fight on your side. Thus making an impossible battle merely entertaining.

18. JohnnyV Gems: 3/31

Thank you WildFire, I will do that instead of resorting to cheesy tactics like killing him while he is blue. (I used cheesy tactics the first game, am going to try to be fair this game)

19. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] SPOIL
    Another battle that was hard because I blundered into it all unprepared was that pesky bunch of mists in Coran's Cabin. Took more damage from them than I did from Irenicus!

20. Shedao Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] the shadow dragon in umar hills was probably the hardest thing that i have had to fight.
    He has all kinds of bad a** spells and since I play with tactics that say anyone can be a bruiser(even aerie) So he kicked my butt a whole bunch but I finally won.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.