1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Books Did You Get for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Mathetais, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] We've all been talking about the droves of books we expected Santa to leave in our stockings this year ... so what did you get?

I recieved:
    Revovation of the Heart by Dallas Willard
    The Message transation of the Bible by Eugene Peterson
    and
    Ruthless Trust: The Ragamuffin's Path to God -- by Brennan Manning

Fortunately, I recieved two copies of the Dallas Willard book and a $15 gift card to Barnes and Noble ... so I'll be able to get Crossroad of Twilight and call it a gift!

:good:

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Santa didnt bring any books this year. :(
    I must have been bad. But then again I never get any books, I buy the books I want myself and more than likely would the books I get not be the ones I would want to read. Even though it is nice to widens ones perspective now and then. But afaik so is the books people tend to give eachother on christmas those extreme boring mainstream books of writers like Grisham, Clancy and King and thats not really to my tastes.

3. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I got The Book of Lost Tales part 1 by Tolkien, and Dragons of the Fallen Sun, another Dragonlance book by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
    I've read about half of the Dragons of the Fallen Sun, and though not quite as good as the other Dragonlance novels, it's quite good reading.

4. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I recieved a really cool book for christmas. Linux for Dummies which includes redhat 8. So I am now spending all my spare time becoming a pengiun fanatic.

5. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] J.R.R. Tolkien - "The Return of the King"
    Michael Crichton - "Prey"

6. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Napoleon & Wellington - Andrew Roberts
    Touching The Void - Joe Simpson
    The Hobbit - JRR Tolkein (the graphic novel - does that count as a book)

My 3 favourite genres of books (Napoleonic, mountaineeering and fantasy) so I was happy. The graphic novel version of The Hobbit was probably my favourite even though I have read it loads of times before and already have a proper copy somewhere.

I also got a couple of other Napoleonic books that my parents found but they werent really Christmas presents and today I bought a Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) book and a couple of Duncton (William Horwood) books for £0.60 (about $1 US) which was quite a bargain.

[ December 27, 2002, 22:24: Message edited by: monkey ]

7. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I got Path of Daggers, and Winter's Heart :) Been re-reading Path of Daggers, enjoying it just as much the second time. Sadly, I still didn't get What If?, which has been on my list for something like two wears now. :( You'd think that at this point I'd just get it myself...

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I got The Farseer Trilogy and Thief of Time.
    The Farseer Trilogy rules! It is brilliant, it is amazingly wonderfully perfectually wonderful!

And I got a $20 voucher for Bookworld :)

9. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Man, this has been a weak christmas for me, I only got two shirts! No books! I mean I read about a book every week and nobody gave me books!
    Well, at least I got some money. I don't know what will I buy... Books!

10. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I recieved several gift cards for book stores that I still need to use. I also got an Amazon.com certificate. I ordered the 3E PHB and the DMG with that (I wanted to buy games with it, but that's another story). So technicaly I did recieve books for Xmas. Now I just need to figure out what books to pick up with my remaining gift cards. Hmmm, maybe some Dragonlance books. I haven't read any though, so suggestions are welcome.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Make sure to spend those Amazon certificates through SP and get a portrait/avatar. For Dragonlance books, go to http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_dl.php where you have ALL Dragonlance books listed. The must-reads are marked with a yellow * (more details on the page itself).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  12. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well I did use the Amazon certificate already, and I went to Amazon by clicking on a banner add here at SP. I used it on the 26th, a few days back. I ordered the 3E PHB and DMG. If that didn't work let me know, I'll make a donation through Paypal. Well even if that did work, I'll make a donation through paypal within the next week. You'll end up getting more dough that way.

I'll take a look at the Dragonlance books here. Didn't even think of that :o . Thanks. once again, please let me know if you saw that order. If that didn't work, my holiday plans have been foiled. I figured I'd recieve some holiday cheer as well as spread some by asking for that certificate.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sure, it can't but work if you use a banner on SP. ;)

I'll mail you the avatar/portrait details. Thanks.

14. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Fictions/Aleph-J.L.Borges
    Tolkien Encyclopedia-By someone I dont remember
    That's all. :(

15. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Silmarillion - JRR Tolkien

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I got entirely too many books.

The Reality Dysfunction and Neutronium Alchemist, both by Peter F Hamilton
    The three most recent New Jedi Order books.
    The Collected Stories of Greg Bear
    Aliens: Genocide
    Aliens: The Female War

I also got $95(!) in gift cards to a local bookstore.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

AMaster, did you get anything else besides books?

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    :) yes. My parents are divorced, and my dad is remarried, so I tend to get more presents than I did before the divorce. I guess there can be an upside to anything...

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I didn't get any books, but we gave our son three Dr. Seuss stories, the re-issued "Harold and the Purple Crayon," and a collection of world mythology. I think our present to purselves this year will be the board game "Settlers of Catan" - purchased at amazon through SP, of course!

Hey Tal, how much do I have to spend so that Hubby and I each get an avatar? Is there a family plan here? ;)

20. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Well at least a few bucks' worth would be nice. ;)

Generally I get a 5% commission on everything you buy, as long as you buy directly via the SP item links or any banners.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.