1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What game would you like to see remade today?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by diagnull, Aug 10, 2007.

1. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

(Posting in NWN forum as it seems the most likely place for this question...)

So, I picked up NWN only a couple of months ago and, after some modding and ignoring the OC, I'm enjoying it a bunch.

There's a lot of great mods and remakes (I haven't tried them all, but its nice to know they're there.)

Anyways, I got to thinking, if I had the choice, what ganes would I like to see remade (in NWN or other engine.)

here's my list:

Ultima Underworld I & II
    - All the Ultima's could use a face lift, but the UW games I think would really benefit from a NWN makeover.

The SSI Gold Box games of course (I think some have been done already.)

ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery)
    - So much stuff crammed into this tiny Rogue-like game. It might lose some charm going from ASCII "graphics" to 3d though.

Ghosts N' Goblins
    - More a "re-imagining" than a remake, an RPG style GnG might be really cool...or just really dumb.

What would you like to see?

:)

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

well since BG1 is being remade for nwn2, im ot going to write that :p

But bg2 i will.

Final fantasy 6 and 7, allthough i have a hard time seeing them work in the nwn2 engine.

both Icewind dales could be nice.

3. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Icewind Dale would be great to see on the Neverwinter Nights (2) engine. A game that I would love to see remade would be Sierra's LORDS OF MAGIC...Not remotly possible on with Neverwinter Nights, but this game owns and I'd love to see it redone. :)

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I would prefer to see new content released than remakes of old games. Old games are still there to play, so really remaking them adds little (imo), where as making fresh new mods.. well, it adds a lot more to the community and playing a new story,with new characters in a new setting is always enjoyable.

Ever so slightly off topic, Diagnull, if you are enjoying modding and want something to work on, I'm currently lead admin of a large Persistent World project, A Land Far Away - which is devoted to recreating Forgotten Realms for hardcore Roleplay - and am always seeking new talent to help us out. If you are interested, give a yell.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm a big big fan of the idea of NWN(2) renditions of classic pen and paper modules. But it's also great if something is designed specifically with the target game's engine in mind.

As for now, I'd like a persistent world where I could do a lot of things. Where no one would scold me for soloing, where I could party when I wished or needed to, where I could take up some occupation apart from adventuring, run a business, own a castle or something else, this kind of thing. Or bounty hunting, arena fighting, mercenary jobs. Various.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A german mod team is converting the entire Icewind Dale story into NWN2. The main story will release late this fall, with everything else - including HoW, Trials of the Luremaster and a new story they're adding in by March 2008.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Movies.Detail&id=103

I'm a huge Icewind Dale fan, so - this looks pretty dope. :)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Don't get your hopes up too much... the NWN modding community is littered with dead carcasses of overly ambitious projects.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So noted. :)

9. diagnull Gems: 5/31

That's one thing that scares me about NWN.

People decide to create a mod and start out trying to produce (or remake) a 200+ hour epic adventure with new, never before seen creatures and races, etc.

I don't even want to play something that long, much less make it.

I think the strength of NWN comes from short mods that you can dive into and enjoy. 2 to 10 hours is good for me.

Maybe that's just my style though...I'm currently playing through 5 different mods: SoU, Darkness over Daggerford, Tale of a Mage, A Dance with Rogues, and Return to Ravenloft. With this much variety, I can bounce around and play whichever story\character I feel like, rather than slog through 100 hours of the same thing.

But maybe that's my ADD kicking in...

10. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] How about the original Bard's Tale? If Interplay still has the rights to that I am sure they would be willing to sell them at any price so that they can actually show two consecutive quarters with revenue. ;)

12. diagnull Gems: 5/31

Hmmm. On the one hand, it looks like they are doing a great job remaking BG. I can kind of imagine playing this...I went through BG several times before actually finishing it...I don't think I could take the IE version again...but I might could go for this.

On the other hand, is it just me or does NWN2 look WORSE than NWN? Everything is kind of faded out and...craptacular.

I think the modders have done a great job, don't get me wrong. I just think the NWN2 engine is kind of...messed up.

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Making BG1 and icewind dale into a nwn mod??? Whoever is doing that should be shot, several times. Its like pissing on the pope or something. 3.5ed Minsc *shudders*

Betrayal at Krondor would be a good remake. And maybe the earlier might and magic games. I saw someone mention lords of magic up here too. Good suggestion. Wolf3D, the Dark sun games, Fantasy Empires, X-Wing, The Horde, and Moonstone.

[ August 15, 2007, 21:46: Message edited by: Rawgrim ]

14. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Err... not sure how you can see that. Take a look at some of these screenshots if you want to see what NWN2 is capable of:
    Number 1
    Number 2
    Number 3
    Number 4

15. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It's you... :)

Btw, Master of Magic would be a good game for an update. But I don't know if the NWN2 engine would work.

16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hmm i made a boo-boo. I thought it was about remakes in general. Not just nwn modules. Silly me. Well in that case I remove all my suggestions above. And replace them with every 3ed pen and paper modules instead.

17. diagnull Gems: 5/31

The thing about the NWN2 engine, is it seems like a lot of the screenshots are really washed out ("next-gen" style).

And the characters look strange...almost plastic like.

But maybe I would think different seeing it in motion.

I had a similar feeling about KOTOR when I first saw it. It looked strangely flat and lifeless, but when I saw the first gameplay movie, it looked totally different.

18. Eli Wolfswind Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Baldur's Gate on the Jade Empire Engine would blow my socks off.

19. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

@Chandos: Master of Magic? I don't know how you can make a TBS on the NWN 2 engine, really. BTW, if someone manages to make a good translation of Planescape:Torment on this engine, that would be an impressive feat. It's probably all but impossible, btw.

Now, what could look interesting if translated is Lands of Lore, and I can't help but think several adventure games can be remade quite well... Can you imagine the Discworld series in D&D?

20. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Dungeon Keeper.

Populous II.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.