1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Happens When These Games Get Old?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Nobleman, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I was wondering what happened when the BG-series, IWD and PoR get old? Should the forums stay as they are and make sanctuary for the few thrusty gamers or should new games replace them? What do you think or hope. or in Tal's case plan.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 25, 2001).]

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I hope those games you've mentioned rot!

But PT is already classic! Evergreen, if you want to call it that way...

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Blasphemy! Tal, ban him! Ban him!
    :grin: j/k

Hell, they sometimes get old in the middle of playing them...I leave them alone for weeks at a time, then go back for a few hours...

4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Neverwinter Nights will be topical next year of course, thats if it actually ever makes it to market.

Still haven't finished BG2, so I suppose thats still topical for me.

To be fair, sure new games will take over over time, but still value in the old forums for a lot of people I think.

Anyway, PT, F/O2 and BG for £20 local EB. I haven't played PT or F/O2, so ignoring the BG, still sounds a fair deal?

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] They will wither for sure, not to bring any doomsday revelations, but SP might not stick around for always, especially not when Tal gets more important stuff to do like Uni or Girly ;) (if he ever is to find a girl he thinks more important than this site :p)

as for the games, who knows, they'll probably stick around, not much work to do in them if people don't post in them, so why not :)

6. Silverblade Guest

I never though about that, there might not be a Sorcerers Place one day. It cannot be!! Think about all the people on the globe who want to post something now and then or want to hang out in a chatroom where everybody is familier. :sosad: I'll say this site must be forever or over 2147 people will go mad. :aaa:

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited September 25, 2001).]

7. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The fact is that the games are already old but people still buy them!
    why?
    Well people don't stop reading lotr just because some of the language is a bit dated!
    It is at a standard which will always be accepted.
    Same with BG. It is the best looking 2d game you could get and 2d games will never get much better so this game will always be a favourite and won't go with fashion like the now withering reign of half life or deus ex.
    In this game everything can be seen clearly and the graphics are adequate for the gameplay. The gameplay is what people will play this game for. not because it has the best graphics, the best detail, the best blood effects or the best realism.
    But because it has a story which comes to life just like a book, an interactive book if you like, and that my friends will NEVER get too old.

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

We will forever play Transport Tycoon, and we will forever play Baldur's Gate.

9. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I'm going to get flamed for this, but......
    I've stopped already.

/me cringes and hides behind his Fortress Shield.

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] They are great games, but yes they do get old after a while. The key is that they never really fade away. 10 years from now I can see myself loading up BG and saying to my kids look what I play when I was younger. I mean I do the same thing with PoR, bard's Tale and Wasteland today. I do think the graphics are kinda out of date but the game play is still there and the story is worth going back over ever once in a while.

Down the raod they maybe put on the top shelf but I don't think they will ever hit the discard pile.

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well naturally these forum will evolve as new games come out. When BG got old, there was IWD, then BG2, and now we all anxiously await NWN. After that, I'm sure there will be more games Tal deems fit for forum space on these boards. This site has stayed too well run for too long just to fade away as these games become less popular with age. There will likely always be something new in the CRPG world, and even if the genre withers up to what it was a few years ago, this can always be a great place to come and reflect back upon the good old days:square:.

12. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

extremist? you speak the language of satan!
    it is foul to ever think that about BG

13. Amis:] Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Extremist- you blasphmer

Bg will live on in the hearts and minds of those who have truly enjoyed it. I for one have beaten it 27 times and am still playing it! :mad:

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Nobleman .... I really want to know how you would define "thrusty gamers"????? :whoa: It took me a good five minutes to get past that sentence and understand the questions you raise.

Well, for this "thrusty gamer" .....

I would imagine POR taking up a good portion of the forums, along with NWN - then the moduals, the expansion kits, Radiance Keeper (j/k Extreminst!), etc ...

We've also witnessed an evolution of these boards over the last months with the addition of the RC pages. That was something that no-one anticipated a year ago, but is now part of that warp and woof of this forum.

Honestly ... sometimes I wish this forum would *poof* go away so I can get on with my life. The definition of an addiction is any behavior that you do compulsively to the extent that you don't get normal life functions/responsibilites accomplished ... yeah, SP has been that in the past for me. Worse than my coffee addiction! I've actually flirted with the idea of asking TAL to design a custom BAN for me that would prevent me from chatting/posting/reading during work hours.

WOW - I'm off subject :sosad: :shame:

Sorry for the vent. maybe I should pay the $100/session and see a professional (professional therapist ... what were you thinking!?!)

:roll: :grin:

15. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

:hmm: adicted gamers . I used a danish expression I guess.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.