1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is better weapon?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by kukec, Jun 30, 2003.

1. kukec Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

War hammer+2:
    THAC0: +2 bonus
    1d4+3 + 1 electical damage

Wyverin's tail+2:
    THAC0: +2 bonus
    2d4+2 ( target must make saving throw vs poison or take 5 points of poison damage )

Which weapon is better for Viconia?

2. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Depends on what proficiencies she has. If you have profs for both warhammers and morningstars, I'd take Wyvern's tail, since it does more damage.

3. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If you're a safer playing kind of guy you should take the warhammer, later enemies will NEVER fail saving throws without judicious use of weakening spells. A single point of damage will seldom make a difference though so I'd also go with the tail.

4. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There's more than one point damage difference between the weapons.

Without strength or proficiency bonuses (if any), the war hammer causes a maximum of 8 damage (16 if a critical hit occurs); the wyvern's tail causes 10 (20 if a critical hit occurs). The 1 hp damage from the war hammer can also be resisted against either from potions, protection scrolls or just by their nature, so that would make it a maximum damage of 7 (14 if a critical hit).

There is always a chance to fail a saving throw, regardless of how powerful an enemy is or how well protected they are.

A single hp of damage seldom makes a difference? That could explain why Harm takes you down to one hp, because it won't make a difference -- you're toast the next round. :rolleyes:

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's quite easy to decrease the enemy's saves by two (doom or bane, don't remember the name of the spell). Every kind of divine caster can cast this one spell, paladins and rangers included. Sometimes, with dragons and that ilk, you need to get rid of the guy's magical resistance first, but you would have to do so anyway if you were going to cast spells on him.

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Who cares which weapon Viconia have. She is spellcaster, which mean that she is made to cast spells. And if she runs out of spells, give her a sling. 8 in CON and 10 in STR is waaaay to low for a close-combat character. And if anyone gets close, run, run like hell.

Not dizzing Viconia though, che is my favourite character all times.

7. kukec Gems: 3/31

well her strenght is 19 so ...

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

If you waste the girdle of hill giant strength on her.

The Wyvern's Tail is the better of those two.

9. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have also seen the Wyvern's Tail finish off trolls. I thought that only fire and acid did this, but I guess poison is lumped in there somehow. Can anyone verify this as well, or was I just mistaken when I played? If the Tail does take down trolls, then I would give it the nod as well.

10. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Cant remember which weapon it was I had, but I think it made some pure magical damage and that weapon also took out trolls.
    Although I know trolls die from poison.

I´d go with the Wyverns Tail if she has prof. spent on both.

11. Register Gems: 29/31

The poison/magic trollkilling-thingie is right. Valygar kills heaps of trolls with his blade. I surly love that they have suck low saving throws.

12. kukec Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] What kind of damage Valygar's sword do?

13. Register Gems: 29/31

Poison. It's a +2 weapon that some poison damage on each hit if save fails IIRC.

14. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think they get it for all nonphysical damage. Spear of withering works as well.

15. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31

One thing though.... I never understood why it wasn't called a Club.... it sure LOOKS like a club... why morning star?

But still... the hammers(except one) all suck.

So, guys, what hand weapon DID you give Viconia?

16. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Flail of the Ages. It's +3 and you can get it pretty early on. :)

17. Register Gems: 29/31

I guess you gave her something that buffed up her strengh as well.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not totally true about hammers. The Dwarven Thrower is a great one (2d4 +3), but it's only usable by....wait for it...dwarves. So no good for Vikki, I suppose. Regardless, I think that plus Crom are great reason to invest several proficiencies in Hammers.

19. kukec Gems: 3/31

Yes she have now flail of ages+3 wee ( i give one point to flail/morning star proficiency )!!!

And yes like Rastor said she have girdle of hill giant strength ( set strenght to 19 ).

20. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31

Well, I think you are set, then. That is EXACTLY what I gave her as well...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.