1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is it about French

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by mark the beneficial shah, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

That makes it a more refined language than everyother? So what if they use their nose more. So they use descriptions of their nouns? So what! Its just another verbal barking by us monkeys! Why are their those that believe it is more important than others?
    Wheres the love?

Merry Chrismas.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't like the french language. Can't stand listening to it. It's awfull.

3. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I could say many things about the French language, but definately not that it's awful. I find the language quite beautiful, and sometimes even amusing, depending on dialect (hey, any language probably has a few funny-sounding dialects).

Un peu difficile d'apprendre, c'est tout. ;)

(And no, I don't speak nor write French very well yet, sadly. :()

Edit: NobleArchAngelman, I'm Scandinavian too, you know. ;)

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited December 28, 2001).]

4. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] I am with Mollusken on this one. It sounds awfull. Perhaps it is a scandinavian trend.
    They sound like they are drunk and have dislocated their jaw. Then add the flu. They ramble sounds through their nose (difficult with the flu) and mouth and stuffing in as many vowels as possible. They speak tremendously fast and they have to because it sounds even worse if they speak slow. In short, I think it is awfull. Just my opinion.

5. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Must be a personal quirk :p I'm scandinavian too, but I think it sounds horrible.

6. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I learn French. I speak French. I have a diploma in French. I HATE IT!!!

7. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

To me, the French language is just like the various Indian languages (Hindu, Tamil, Sikh etc) it all sounds the same ... every different word to me just sounds constant ... if you get my meaning...

8. I go to french school in Tallinn. Oui, je parle francais. Its not that horrible. For me its easy.I started when i was 8, now im 11 and i can speak something.(i can speak english,finnish,russian,french and estonian)(im estonian by the way)I hate swedish and russian.
    Au revoir!!

9. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I love the french language. I chose it instead of german in 7th grade and i haven't regret it yet, and i don't think i will.

10. Silverblade Guest

[​IMG] :flaming: I hate the French language :flaming: I have to learn it for school, but I always get bad marks. I hate everything about, it's sound, it's grammar, my stupid French teacher.

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] French kissing is nice! ;) :grin: :spin: :roll:

12. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] Well said Sir Belisarius!

13. I have been speaking from since I was 3... and I don't have a single trace of french blood in me..(trust me, I've seen my family tree) And isn't this critisism? I mean, I love english and french can't pay me to like french better unless it's the teacher. But I mean, just because you don't like french, you shouldn't go making a flaming topic on it. Shame on you. French is a beautiful language that is challenging because of all those stupid verbs but please, some people here *know* french. Btw, I *know* how you feel about hearing it. My french teacher has got to be the slowest french reader on earth. He pronounced every, single sound and it *is* quite annoying. But I've seen french movies... before it's one second up, they have already spoken about a whole paragragh. They *are* fast talkers... excluding my french teacher...

14. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Actually I feel french sounds quite nice. Much better than german if you ask me. What's the gripe with french anyway ? I don't suppose you're being forced to learn it in schools.

15. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I actualy posted this after I got into an argument with someone over my use of a English to French translation program to impress a chic. He explained to me that it made him sick that I was using the language properly, and it annoyed me. So I came over to this board to vent my irritation. Oddly enough I live in the same citty with this person, so its not like getting pissed at him is pointless. However, I am a passivist, so I really can't do that much, possibly use harsh language on him, but the point I am making is I simply cannot see why people would defend French in the way he did. Yes, he's probably just jealous, but still its f@#$%ing irrational.
    Thank You
    Mark

16. Tasohan Gems: 10/31

In Denmark you are forced to learn either German or French. And of course English.

17. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[Edit: Please note that this post was written in response to a post by Shralp- which Taluntain has since deleted- in which he said that the US should destroy my home country with nuclear bombs. Yes, I do prefer terrorism to nuclear war.]

Presumably I'm the only Francois/e on this board since no one's piped in to say that if you don't like my language- don't speak it. Please. This is a very unpleasant thread - how can so many ordinarily nice people have found the time to say such unpleasant things about my language and culture? What has come over you all?

Whatever it is, it now seems to have affected me too. For all of you who've ever wondered why so many people in the rest of the world find Americans unpleasant, I'm sure the nasty little article Shralp posted will be very enlightening. I was particularly struck by "[The United States] is wearying of this reverse hegemony, in which little pipsqueak nations try to impose their pipsqueak values on us. Aren't we the ones who should be arrogantly oppressing countries that unaccountably do not have the death penalty?... What are they going to do? Fight us?"

Apparently not. Those "pipsqueak" countries seem to have found terrorism more effective than trying to openly stand up to the world's largest bully. When I read articles like that one, I thoroughly sympathise with any nation or group that wants to wipe the smug grin off America's face.

[This message has been edited by Sprite (edited December 29, 2001).]

18. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

:flaming::flaming::flaming: So, you think terrorism is good, Sprite.:flaming::flaming::flaming: The terrorists arn't just after America. They don't like any country with a western culture. And that includes France and Canada. The world would be a lot worse off without the U.S. Sure we stick our nose in other peoples buisness but a lot of that is helpful. American's arn't bullies. We actualy protect your puny country and a whole lot of other ones. If we were bullies we could and would take over the whole entire world. And if the U.S. was destroyed by terrorists or any one else the whole world's economy would collapse and you wouldn't live to see the day when everything got back to normal. You kids probably wouldn't either. In fact Canada and France would be some of the worst off countries in the world because Europe and the rest of North America depend on us for a lot of things. Terrorists wouldn't stop with just us either. They would attack just about any place that there religion wasn't very common in.

If were so bad why did we help save France in two world wars? Why are we trying to stop terrorism all over the world? We're not just going to stop the ones who attacked America. We're going to go as far as we can with this. There is a lot that you don't know about the U.S. and even your own country if you say things like that so I think you shouldn't talk about us like that.

And as for French being a bad language. You all just think its weird because you arn't use to hearing it. I'm sure you would think English was weird if French was your native language. So no one realy has the right to judge someone elses country or language or any thing like that because it is very insulting.

[This message has been edited by Archer14 (edited December 29, 2001).]

19. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Sprite, more to the point: Can you refute the points made in the article?

As to those who don't like the French language and culture -- well, let them. Who cares? France has a long and glorious history, not only of military power and world influence but also of religion and culture. It's hard to remember that when they do things like sell fighter jets to terrorist nations.

If American smugness is enough to make you sympathize with mass murderers, then perhaps you need to reevaluate your priorities.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't think anyone was particularly offensive to the French as a whole in here. (Except Shralp with that url, but I deleted it. It truly was inappropriate.) Of course, if people don't like French, it's not a crime to say so. Some do like it, and have said so in this topic too.

Anyway, turning this into the USA vs. terrorists post is a bad idea. I'll just close it if any more so totally unrelated posts appear here.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 29, 2001).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.