1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the best thief class?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by treggers, Jun 19, 2002.

1. treggers Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I have got a swashbuckler level 30 ac -15 but no back stab mutiplier what do you think is the best class of thief

2. Bon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think either the regular theif or the bount hunter, If you are not playing a thief I would strongly sugest you get Yoshimo, he is a very good theif (bounty hunter) and he is neutral, so he won't object to anything you do, plus, I find that he is a good fighter.

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Pure thief. Preferably multiclass.

5. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'd also have to go with a multiclassed thief. I just went through the game with a NE mage/thief:cool:

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Assassin definetly! Plain and pure, no DC.

But the real reason I spam is:
    Xandar, what are you doing here?!?! :eek::confused::p
    Not enough spamming space on the net? :p

Welcome man! :wave:

um, you forgot to write what's under bed in your profile ;)

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited June 19, 2002).]

7. Sir Daie Guest

Hello Treggers you moo.
    Assasin.
    I'll show you tomorrow at school.
    See Ya

8. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hehe, decided to take over other forums!:evil:

9. ivanatora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

It depends what you want. I would suggest human swashbuckler dualable later to mage. This is very cool combo but I prefer the old trained fighter-tief (dual class of course). Let's look at the assasin. He is weak. At the "Throne of Bhaal" his THACO isn't realy high to hit many times. But the x7 backstab multipl. with combination with a giant strenght gridle and gauntles of weapon expertise... This is awsome. Let's look at the bounty hunter. His bonusses are laughable. His traps are laughable. Their special effects are easyly ressistant in ToB. So he doesn't worth.

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Depends on your style, I'd choose assassin overall

Then again, NPCs of the other thief classes aren't very nice:almostmad:

11. ivanatora, The assassin is not weak, by any means of the word... THAC0 is about 7 or so iirc(that is if your using straight assassin) and with Str. enhancing items it can be even lower. Add on top of that THAC0 newly created with the Str enhancing item, the enchantment bonus of the weapon, and the normal assassin +1 to hit and damage(just for being that class). And assassin should be coming from the shadows so they get a +4 to THAC0 for the backstab, which if your in ToB you should be above lvl21 with the assassin so, *7 multiplyer for damage... The only ones with AC low enough to block that, are bosses, and most of them are immune to back stab anyway.. so you should have your assassin using Bow'n'arrow or casting some type of spells with scrolls.(granted you mentioned most of that in your post.. just had to expand on it, because you said they are weak ;))

Now to the Bountyhunters...
    Bountyhunters traps are awsome the Maze ability iirc doesnt have a save, so you dont have to worry about it not working...
    His bonuses are laughable?!? He gets just about(if not the same) amounts of skill points to arrange as a pure theif. Which allows plenty of Custumization...

The point is, none of the classes, or kits of the classes, are *weak* they are powerful if you exploit their strenghts, and minimize their weakness.

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    My adsolute favourite thief class is the pure thief. He is so rich on skillpoints that he excells everywhere when you go to ToB - and in ToB there are traps which cannot be found with a puny 100 skillpoints spent on a skill. With anormal backstab modifier he is still very potent. Of course, halflling thiefs have a distinct advantage.

Assassin is pretty cool too - but he doesn't offer enough thieving skills to let him cover the full range of thieving abilities in SoA - he needs an assistant thief. A Swashbuckler is nice but he lacks hitpoints and number of attacks. The bountyhunter is indeed a useful thief-class, and he offers a good compromise in thief skills, so he is way more versatile than an assassin. DeBhaal Stasion is right when he sais that thieves only loose out in a direct confrontation with a fighter type, but since they are not made for straight melee you must be a fool to try that. When used properly, exploiting the special strengths of the thief you can turn him into an exptremely powerful, dominating char.

Multiclassed thieves are very interesting too: Gnomish illusionist/ thieves rock and fighter/ thieves are awesome as well (just lacking weapon proficiency slots).

From the tweaked multiclass combos my favs are the chaotic aligned wild-mage/ thief and the mc kensai-thief. A barbarian/ thief can be interesting too.

13. I have to go with kensai/thief!!!Unstopable!!!

Paddy!!!

P.S:Welcome to the boards!!!:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

[This message has been edited by Padine the Paladin (edited June 24, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.