1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What kind of character do you love reading about?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] As the title says, not any names in particular but just what kind of character, class, personality and why. Of course you may use examples.

Mine may be a cliche but I love chars who are evil but still have that little hint of goodness in them.

I don't like perfect good people who do nothing wrong and are respected for it. Everyone is still human/elven/halfling/gnome and they still do stuff wrong once in a while.

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Basically any character that is interesting...it's too hard for me to specify what qualities he/she must have...

Michael Moorcock's Elric has been one of my greatest idols for years, yet I still find entertainment in the exploits of Drizzt Do'urden, goody two shoes he might be. :cool:

As for how I would deem a character 'interesting'... well, that is yet another difficult question to answer. I find a character full of doubt and self conflict as interesting as one who is impervious in his/her self-conviction. Of course, even an individual that lies in the middle can be interesting as well. I suppose it depends on the writer portraying the character.

But there are a few aspects I've had enough of:

Wimpy boy heroes that whine and are filled with angst. ( Angst is ok, in moderation. Couple that with wimpiness and I get the urge to hurl the entire story out of the window. Shinji from Evangelion, Raiden from Metal Gear Solid2. Yes, it's a video game but I'm just quoting an example.) :rolleyes:

Wise, cantankerous wizards. (Except Gandalf). Argh, die Elminster and Dumbledore! :mad:

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In introspective, talented persona. Someone who's experienced a lot of unjustified suffering and has a lot to pay back for. And I like them in a story that is dark and sad, but not overly melodramatic.

4. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The characters I *most* enjoy reading are modern guys usually, slackers, etc. ;)

Nick Hornby writes these kind of guys well.

5. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

War of the Spider Queen protagonists rule!
    I love reading Drizzt's type too, i recently read The Silent Blade and the parts i most enjoyed were Entreri and Jarlaxle's type, i guess i love reading about dark type.
    Yup can't wait to read Servant of the Shard and War of the Spider Queen serie (i've just sneak-peeked them)

[Did I mentioned that Valas Hune rules?]

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I like characters that are REAL! As opposed to cookie-cutter slobs. Sometimes, if the book's thrust isn't really characterization, I can handle it, but I need realism. Take George Martin's characters. Tyrion does some pretty horrible things, yet he is moral. Catelyn is a good woman overall, but her weak spot is her irrational hatred of Jon Snow. Even Jaime Lannister is somewhat redeemed despite his involvement in activities repudiated by almost every philosophical and moral system either in this world or Martin's. These people are REAL!

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I prefer people that aren't too über, and aren't fully good nor completly and utterly evil. Such characters get annoying after a while.

8. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I like tragic heroes, persons who know that they are fighting for a lost cause or who know that their actions will lead them to death, but they don't give up because their moral values and their code of honor tell them or oblige them to do so. Hector in Iliad is a perfect example of this kind of character.

9. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

E BOG, epitelous brisko kai enan Ellina se auto to site. :)
    Apo to stoma mou to pires. Auto akribos pisteuo ki ego.

I agree with BOG. I like characters with morality. Other than that, a dwarf is my best choice (eg Thibbledorf Pwent, Bruenor Battlehammer, Gimli, Thorin, Balin etc.)

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The language of communication here is English, please stick to using that.

11. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Flawed characters. Depaara nailed it with George RR Martin's characters. I also have to admit liking the bastards, abused, downtrodden etc -- Jon Snow and Tyrion from Martin (actually pretty much every character from Martin, waiting to see what happens with Snow's little sister now), Fitz from Robin Hobb etc.

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

A human character.

No, not by race, you silly person. By character.

13. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I like to read about mages,really bad ones.They should be very sarcastic and go with a group of some good guys :evil: (I really love it,when he does his small comments that are really bad :D )

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Does anyone still remember "Dirty Harry?" Or "Unforgiven?" Those are personalities I like to read of; they can show empathy and/or mercilessness when required, but not going overboard in neither of these. Heh, incidentally, Garret also represents a personality I would like to read/watch more (he is the protagonist of "Thief", a game).

15. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Any character that gets to say "Told you so," usually. But enjoy all kinds of characters.

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I like characters who have a chip on their shoulder... I like charatcters who have attitude. I like charcters who are not perfect. I can like a "good" character, even if my preference is evil (I am a Hannibal Lecter fan... I think that is all I need to say...) if said good guy has enough flaws to make him/(her imperfect.

I like characters such as Raistlin majere of Dragonlance, Zaknafein, Entreri and Jarlaxle of the Drizzt books, aforementioned Hannibal Lecter and don't tell me I have to tell you where he's from, Elrond of the LotR fame...

Babbled enough, I have

(*hugs her Elrond*)

17. Woody Woodrow Banned

Anti-heros like Raistlin or Steel Brightblade.

Disgruntled cops like Harry Bosch (Michael Connely), Joe Pike (Robert Crais) and Elvis Cole (also Crais).

Aragorn style charecters. Destined for greatness but are worried that human flaws might bugger them up.

18. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I like all sorts of characters, but my favorite must be any assassin(SP). They just have such gret personalities. Especially in books like The Spine Of The World where it shows Entreri's character, especially his views on life.

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Basically good ones (which doesn't necessarily mean goodies), preferrably with strong brains. Actually most of my favourites fall under paladinic or mercenary cathegory. Rangers are also nice and sometimes clerical characters. Not really druids, but apart from true historic ones I've not read much about them. I also believe there could be more elves as main characters instead of just teaching rangers (male) or being the hero's final reward (female).

I somehow like characters on their way towards good or on their way *back* towards good. I don't really enjoy easy, uneventful life and that's also what I don't really expect from my favourite characters. Probably all of them have very strong personality and will, but have some mild to severe problems with the world or with themselves. Some have attitude problems. Similarly I appreciate 'leaning' alignments and 'streaks' if we already use d&d terminology.

What's also important is psychological likelihood and various bits of information sticking well together unless the character is intentionally created misty.

20. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Any, as long as the writer knows what he is doing

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.