1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What now?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Grondor Ironhelm, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Grondor Ironhelm Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, I just beat Throne of Bhaal after starting a character way back in Baldur's Gate 1. My question is: What should I do now? I definitely want to play through again but I would like some imput on what type of character I should play with, who to take along, etc. Also, what would be the best way to play through the series solo? Any imput on that?

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

My personal reccomendation would be to solo the series with a MC Ranger/Cleric on at least core rules (ha cure rules, I kill myself) difficulty, but that's me. If you don't want to do a complete solo yet, just do you and Imoen. The only time you'll be without her is the beginning of BG2.

Or do a four person party, on insane difficulty.

[ September 24, 2002, 02:26: Message edited by: Big B ]

3. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'd recommend a Fighter/Mage/Thief for soloing - you become a great all rounder - plus you can have a familiar.

I tried to solo with a Fighter/Mage/Thief, although then I wanted Aerie for the romance and I kept Minsc cos I like him...

So it was actually 3 characters for most of the game - great soloiing eh? And then I wanted to do some NPC specific quests and by the time I met Irenicus, yep I had 6... :rolleyes:

4. Grondor Ironhelm Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the ideas. I'm thinking of going totally against what I was before (LG, Fighter/Cleric, all that is good and noble, blah blah blah) and with a good party. My thoughts are either doing me and an evil party or just me be really evil (like kicking kittens and eating babies). Any tips on either of these options?

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My current campaign is a neutral evil F/M/T solo. It turns out that this combo covers just about everything you need (especially with the Ring of Regeneration and then Ring of Gaxx handling the healing over and above the ridiculous number of potions you find). The only thing I need a cleric for is Chaotic Commands when handling mind flayers and umber hulks, but it turns out that this guy (with appropriate hide in shadows, shield of Harmony, etc.) runs through the various mind flayer zones with barely a scratch or sweat.

Caveat: This is not the easiest thing to do in BG1 completely solo as you start weak as a kitten and are slow to advance. I added and subtracted NPCs as necessary. The benefit of starting in BG1 is, of course, +1 in every stat (+3 in wisdom) if you get all of the available tomes. If you're patient, you can wind up with 19 and above in every stat except charisma by the end of SOA (if you do Watcher's Keep in SOA that is). Thus, limited wish and wish can be used without fear.

Anyway, this character can run around SOA with Celestial Fury and some long sword dual wielded most of the time, subbing in the Staff of the Magi when needed. Also, with the thief HLA use any item, you get to use Carsomyr if you want despite not being LG or a paladin. Great for those battles where you want high magic resistance. As a matter of fact, if you're careful on timing of proficiencies, you can use all of the best weapons for any particular battle (Crom faer with golems and trolls for example). It actually is too easy by the end of SOA with this character.

6. Saemon Havarian Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Try a thief or bard, they're really fun to play and are totally different from a Ranger/Cleric.

7. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I baulked at a FMT becauae they don't get 9th level spells, but a TM would work almost as well. Just an idea.

8. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I chose a Chaotic Neutral F/M/T mainly because they can use almost any item to start with, and with the thief skill you can gain later as someone mentioned you soon can use even those few items you couldn't use before, like Carmosyr+5 and Bladesinger Chain+3 (usually only bards can use this - you can cast spells with it on and it is pretty good 'spellcasting' armour for a long way into the game)!

The Familiar for Chaotic Neutral is ***** cat with 99% hide, detect traps and pickpocket abilities (if you don;t want your guy to be detecting traps all the time - optional!)

Good items to keep at hand for those abilities that usually require a Cleric to cast are:

Arbane's Shortsword (free action and haste - useful early on in game)

Ring of Invisibility (also hide in shadows) for sneaking around

Shield of Harmony (protects from most ailments mindflayers can cause EXCEPT their physical INT draining ability - just keep your distance and you should be fine!)

Amulet of Power/Mace of Disruption+2 (Negative Plane Protection - for Vampires and similar level draining creatures)

Dragonslayer Sword (Immunity to Fear - useful in many locations)

Shield of Balduran (if you have latest ToB patch or the special edition - for reflecting Beholder beams)

And it almost goes without saying, Cloak of Mirroring (absorbs most attack spells), Boots of Speed (run away! and quicker exploring), Celestial Fury (best weapon in many people's opinions including mine until you get some of Cespenar's upgrades in ToB! Stunning/Backstabbing etc).

Proficiencies in two-weapons, katana and longsword - I think I started with 2 points in each and just added to them as the game progressed. Most good weapons you find early are longswords!

You probably know most of this already!

And remember - once you have the bag of holding you can immediately recharge items (including the glasses of identification - hint - hint) by placing them in and then removing them from the bag. You can summon 5 berserker warriors or spiders this way with the right items...

Good luck!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.