1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What PC and NPCs to choose to make the most use of weapons and items in game?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Anectine, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Anectine Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi Yall,

I was sitting studying fervently for a big test the other day and my mind began to wander. Ive been playing EQ and finally got to level 60 (yeah) and I want to take a break for a little while. I started thinking what it would be like to play another game of Baldurs Gate from Candlekeep to whereever Throne of Baal ends. Ive never played Throne of Baal but need some advice.

What PC and NPCs should i choose to be able to use the most items (weapons armor spells etc) in the Baldurs Gate series.

I was thinking of making either one or two PCs but it matters not to me if they are multi, dual, or single class as long as i can take the most advantage of all of the neat stuff in the game. I want a full and balanced party but not a full group of overpowered war-horses. When I beat the game before I missed all of the NPC conservations and romance dialogues.

Any advice on the chars I should choose to accomplish my goal? (I already tried the search feature but couldnt find this specific topic)

Thanks in advance,

Anectine

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, that's an extremely open-ended and subjective question. First, if you want to use most of the stuff, you obviously want to include most of the classes, as there generally are at least a couple of items that are very class-specific for each class, as well as many more items that exclude a few classes. Without going into great detail as to the types of weapons/armor/items that are available (I assume you are not looking for a list, as lists and walk-through's can be found elsewhere on this site), I generally include NPC's based more on their comments than their choice of items. However, it seems to work out the same anyway. Jan is a must for the ridiculous turnip spiel. He's also a thief/Illusionist and can therefor use those goodies only permitted to mages or thieves (an HLA will actually let him use everything, but I assume, again, that that is not really your goal in this topic). Korgan's hilarious and a tank as well, but, as a pure fighter, is more limited in available "stuff" to use. You can swap him for Minsc and/or Keldorn for a different tank if you're going the good route. Aerie is a cleric/mage combo, but some people find her insipid commentary too much to bear.

To cut to the chase, if you are looking to experiment with the spells and items as much as possible (and maybe classes as well), use two PC's. If you're starting in BG2, I'd suggest a monk and a sorcerer because there are no NPC's of those classes at all. Othwerwise, a Fighter/Thief and bard can work, or you can run through BG1 with a fighter, make him/her a Kensai or other fighter kit on the changeover to BG2 and then dual him/her to mage, thief or cleric, depending on your feelings. You can add the following NPC's and pretty much cover everything in existence: Jan (see above), Aerie (if you can stomach her) or Anomen (if you can stomach him) or Viconia, Korgan, Minsc or Keldorn, and leave the last slot open for rotating NPC's to do quests and see who you like (maybe to ultimately wind up with Haer Dalis to use bard-only items). The concept behind the fighter/thief PC is that he/she can get the HLA for use any item and it will make more sense from a role-playing perspective for that character to use most everything in the game.

If you take Keldorn and start with the monk and bard as PC's, I believe that you can use everything in the game, even without Jan's HLA, except for a couple of evil-only items. If you carefully maintain your reputation, you can have Korgan and Keldorn and I think use everything (although seeing a dwarf use an evil two-handed sword is a bit ridiculous).

Hope that helps.

3. Anectine Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the tips. Im about to dive head first into the game. To my dismay my friend still has my copy of BG1 so ill have to start game in BG2.

The idea of monk, sorcerer, and bard all sound appealing. I beat BG1 with a fighter/thief avatar and he was pretty mean since bow fighting made most of the game trivial.

I think theres a mod out for a sorcerer npc somewhere. If I can find ill probably try to download it.

Do the NPCs above have alot to say? Do they interact with each other? Im sure much more than my party of mutes from my multiplayer game heh.

Thanks,

Anectine

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, I won't go into great detail, as the topic has been covered quite a bit with regard to who talks and which characters interact well/poorly with each other. I will say that I consider Jan a must, and add others depending on my mood (Korgan has a few choice words to say, as does Viconia, especially when confronted with good characters acting a bit too noble). Just do a quick search and you can find several threads bearing on the topic. Have fun.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] You should try to play WITHOUT any of the items(except potions and such) and with 'hard' setting! A bit more of an challenge...

6. Anectine Gems: 1/31

To Verne,

Without any of the items? How? If i remember correctly you need certain keys to enter certain areas. Also wouldn't that make melee chars pointless in you party? A party of healers and mages plus a thief to disarm traps was maybe what you had in mind? Hmm, sounds like a challenge. Maybe ill give it a try my next time through.

Thanks

Anectine

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

That idea to play without items is not good at all.
    Game is meant to be played with plenty of items and you miss a lot of fun if you play it without them. I thought about that when i was playing a nature-guy = pure druid solo throught ToB but it took all the fun away so i continued with items and all.

About that sorcerer (Kelsey) know that it is downladable here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors7.php

Also if someone tried Tashia yet how good is her romance??

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  8. Confucious Gems: 1/31

well...heres what i woudl go for in a BG2: ToB team, besides myself. You have to have a good cleric, so Viconia is best there, forget the stupid mage/cleric girl, Aerie..she's a fool.
    Then, you have to have Jan, because a theif/mage, specially at his level is just nice to have around. I like to have the druid,Cernd, becaue a werewolf is nice for a tank..and his spells are ok too. Go for Edwin as a magical tank, his spells will shred apart many enemies if used right. and as far as tanks go...get your brother, Saverok, in on the action, the man's a killing spree waiting to happen.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.