1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Should I Play First?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Jolt, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Jolt Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

They are independent one from the other in the sense that whatever characters you used or items you got in the first one cannot be exported to the second one. The little IWD story that you may not know if you play IWD2 first it's explained in IWD2. However, I would play them in order, it's cool when you are going through an area that you already visited in IWD and you see the changes in IWD2.

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

IWD I is played under 2E rules.
    IWD II is played under 3E rules.

There is hardly any relation between these two games gameplay wise. The layout of controls too is different.You can play one without playing the other. You can't even import your charecters from one into the other.

However since IWD II occurs only 30 years after the first, you will find a number of NPCs returning in the new game. You can better identify the roles of various NPCs and relate to the story in the second game if you have already played IWD 1.

4. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Can someone who played IWD1 put down a summary of the story for the players who only have IWD2?

5. Jolt Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I guess that ill play them in order then

6. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

@Menion: You should buy Icewind Dale, it's one of the best games ever, and it would be a shame not to see the story for yourself. It's even better than Icewind Dale 2, in my opinion.

If you really want to know the story instead of playing it, I suppose you could read a walkthrough, but you need to experience it, to really understand it.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Jesper898

Do not know about the first part, but the sequel has hardly any story at all and the battles are just hack'n'slash. Thus I can "blindly" recommend playing ONLY IWD1. ;)

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have never played IWD but I quite like IWD II so it's not too much of a problem if you don't play the first part. You don't miss what you've never seen.

9. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

You should play IwD 1 first. This is the most logical way, and if you would play IwD 2 first you would be pissed off about the game system. and stuff...

10. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    It's strange Jesper. I'm the opposite. I like IWD2 a hell of lot more, to the point where IWD1 just infuriates me now.

11. The Anorian Seer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Here, i will give a summary of IWD 1 off the top of my head. BUT I WARN ALL READERS THAT THERE ARE MOJOR STORY LINE SPOILERS IN THIS! You start in the small village of Easthaven (you are a small band of adventuerers, you create all caracters from 1-6 before you start). The villages local protector Hrothgar, invites you to ocompany him and some of the village militia to the troubled town of kuldahar (i think i am spelling that right, but please let me know if im not). however Hrothgar along with all the militia are buried in an avalanche just before you reach Kuldahar. Your company are the only surviors. Anyway, when you get to Kulhahar you meet Arundel, the Arch-Druid. from there you visist several locales in search of the Evil that is causing the town problems. The artwork put into these places is truly beautiful even though it certainly isn't sate of the art graphics. The story begins to heat up when you reach the volcanic mountain of Dragon's Eye. You must battle through hoards of lizard and snake men to recover the artifact known as the Hearstone Gem (also a big part of the IWD2 story). As it turns out Yuxonomi (i'm positive i didn't spell that right). Anyway she is a big snake demon that is passing herself off as a goddess of the Yuan-ti (snake men). when you meet her in her temple at the bottom of Dragon's Eye she hints that she is at war with another demon and she needs the Heartstone Gem to use against him (just like you do). Unfortunatly there is no reasoning with this woman, and you must kill her (it is an exciting battle, and difficult if you don't know what you are doing). Finally you have the artifact, you've won, right? Wrong! when you get back to kuldahar the town is being invaded by Orgogs (excuse my spelling if it is off). you drive the Orgogs back to Arudel's house, but it is not Arudel that waits for you inside, it is Belifit, the demon Yukonomi was at war with. Luckily her flees, you find Arudel upstairs, the demon has slain him to keep him from using the gem. He directs you to travel to the second major area in both games: The Hand of Sledarine, more commonly called The Severed Hand. In IWD1 it is a house of undead horrors. you fight your way through the keep (basically although the story involved is a bit deeper). to find Larrel, the undead Elven Arch-Mage that can use the stone. Larrel directs you to Dorn's Deep, an ancient dwarven stronghold. The story with the elves and the dwarves are intersting and you can learn a lot about it if you search around the hand. The curse (or mythal enchantment gone wrong) plays a huge part in the end of IWD2. Anyway you fight through several areas of Dorn's Deep eventually comming face to face with not Belifit but a priest of Ilmater named Poquelin. You fight the priest, and it turns out that he has been using Crennshinbon to control the weather and creatures (anyone read the IWD Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore, he also uses Crennshinibon and im not sure who came up with the idea first). Anyway the end boss is Belifit, and he is terribly easy compared to Yuxonomi. I was disapointed, as recently i was able to beat him without losing a sinle party member (pretty bad for an end boss).

12. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Good overview. The boss is Belhifet and I didn't find him easy with my solo FMC, but that's another story ;)

13. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I really like IWD for the atmosphere and theme in it. IWD2 has some very nice artworks (the map and some other things) that IWD doesn't have. IWD2 seems more hack and slash to me than IWD does.

So I would definitely play IWD first as it is imo the best of these two

14. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

The best thing about the IwD games is the music, its so good!

15. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I disagree. Well, the music is good, when it actually plays, but usually the game (IWD2) is just silent. I really hate that and I think it kills the admosphere.

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Play IWD1 first. There are a ton of "oh cool! I remember that" moments in IWD2 that won't make sense or be as meaningful if you play them backwards. It's one of the few redeaming qualities in the otherwise crappy story of IWD2. Play them in order - it's much better.

17. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

The thing I dislike most in the IwD games is the lack of subquests and intresting conversations. Talking is not important in the game at all (although it yields some XP)

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But the huge variety of character choices and tactics makes up for any deficiencies in plot or conversation. If only there were more games that operated on the IWD2 rules and engine.

19. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

This is what I would like to see:

IwD II rules, music and engine

Ps:T dialogues, magics and stat distribution (meaning you will get a set number of stats at first level, then one more each level. Also, the game dialogues should rely ALOT on how much Int, Wis and Cha you have)

BG II battles and story

And an extended character creation with more options

20. Thais Paradox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I agree with Bahir.
    Unfortunately, it seems the games industry has gone off the RPG/D&D-style game of late, meaning the likelihood of something like this ever happening can be likened to that of an Orc learning to appreciate the finer points of tea.

(A cookie to anyone who recognizes the reference) :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.