1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What we learn about others

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Dice, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is the first forum that I have actually participated in on a constant basis. I'm really enjoying it. What I like the most is discoving a little bit more about the people on this board with every new post they make. Every topic reveals another layer of this complex system of minds that fills our little group. I have no question for this topic, I just what to know what you think.

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I agree more or less.
    It's facinating trying to piece together different parts of people.
    But this group isn't little anymore. Well, I wouldn't call 6000 people a little group.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In reality, of those five thousand people, perhaps hundred are participating regularly. Maybe another, dormant hundred, too... And that would be it.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, we make up in volume of our sp... er, posts for those who lie low, don't we, Chev? :D

Me, I consider some people I have met on the boarsds to be the best friend I'v eever had... *hugs* And I know that without all the people here I would have quite likely killed myself.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm thinking about throwing up!

Really am sick today which is odd, Apeman never gets sick.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I like how, in large part, my general impression of teenagers has improved. I usually (but not always! ;) )assume people to be several years older than they actually are, based solely on the level of conversation.

I really enjoy getting an international perspective on many issues, social, political, and other.

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well SP really isn't a proper place to start evaluating people's age. Any 14-yearold here would be about the same as a 25-yearold somewhere else. That's the thing I like about this place most as well, mental level of conversation. It's rare to find a post here that makes no sense at all, they all carry some sort of information/emotion that makes it worthwhile. It's impossible to find those "u 2 cn go 2 h311" board destructors here.

Although I've yet to realise this feeling of belonging here some others speak of (I'm still in a state where leaving Sorcerers for good wouldn't feel a loss at all, perhaps a strange change to my routine but that's it), I do have to admit that I find the personalities found here far more intriguing than those of other boards. Afterall, my first (and last so far) real-life meeting was with people found on this board, not with the people I know from other boards, or even with the people that I chat with almost daily in irc.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    SP is a kind of mirror, in a way. In understanding others, especially from such a variety of cultures as SP has, you begin to understand more about yourself. Or at least that's been my experience. The international perspective on everything from politics, to world issues, even gaming, has certainly broadened my horizons. It's helped me see my world through the eyes of others, if that makes sense. And in turn, I've seen their worlds as well.

9. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Yeah, what the rodent said.

:thumb:

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] SP *is* my social life :p

I really like it here and I like the people. It makes life bearable :) I thought it was funny when somebody thought I was 20. Even thought I'm probably more like the brat of SP.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Guess it's nice to know someone from the other side of the globe -even if via a forum like this. As to the personality; can it really fully come out in a non-face-to-face situation? ;)

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] I have to admit that some SPers have made me wonder if ever inserting that BGII disk into my computer was the right thing to do. I mean, I've seen my share of silly posts.

But SP does have more than enough mature people who make, eh, un-silly posts. While I don't care much for the feedback about the "serious" stuff in the Alley, nor do I really bother to read the works of art (yes, art) and literature in Creative Surge, I think that some peoples' posts in themselves are just enlightening, or helpful. Even if they said nothing about how to beat Kangaxx with a Druid or about the long-term effects of Dubya's invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan.

SP, in all truth, takes up more time than it probably should in my life. But some people here are just worth not studying for the French test or revising the Physics lab report.

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Absolutely! I think people can actually be more real here than in real life. There's something comforting about the anonymity of it all. It's entirely optional, however, and that's what makes it so great. SP members here have met in real life, tearing down that barrier. But it's still comfortable to have if you'd rather remain anonymous.

But by that same token, people could also be more fake. For all you guys know, I could be Keiser Sose, or a gorilla, or Pee-wee Herman, or a one-legged stripper, or a billionaire. You can lie your little ass off and nobody will every know. But that's not how I like to do things. Here, I'm as straightforward as I can be. Oh...and I'm a Chippendale's Dancer, by the way. :p

14. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    :lol: Death Rabbit! You must be one hot ticket! I agree that 95% of the people are straight forward (Long live Keneth!) :p Isn't that the reason why we play fantasy games, so we don't need fantasy lives?

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Shut up, I *am* a paladin! :D :lol: :shake: :lol: :hahaerr: :bigeyes: :holy:

16. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, I have learned a lot about one particular person, thanks to this site, though not completely because of it...

The biggest thing that I gained from being here, besides that, is the change in my view of the world. Before now I had never been in a situation where I came into contact with a large number of people who weren't from my area of the world, which has made me more open-minded.. and a lot more interested in politics, oddly enough.

I have gained a new outlook, several good friends and one sexy hunk of a man ;) Pretty good for a website, eh?

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The sexy hunk you divorced you mean :p

18. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Wait, I'm sorry, who are you again? :evil:

19. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Ah, yes, This place (especially the chatroom) is a larger part of my life than it really should be... The anonymity is great. Except it's not really anonymous, I feel like I know some of the people here better than I know my "real life" friends, who always seem to have something to hide, or not tell me "for my own good"...

In short, this place kicks ass.

20. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Slith, you took the words from my mouth.

I really like getting to talk to so many people you normally probably would never care to know or like, and talk to them, out of the blue, on a (usually) intelligent level. We were all brought together under one specific type of gaming that lets our imaginative minds be free from daily vigors that might keep us down. Though sometimes I do think what if Tal and Bioware have joined forces to corrupt our minds into being the next evil super power party that would rule the world with an iron brain... :evil: :borg:

Damn i wish that some of my creativity could just transfer itself on to my L.A. paper and for once get a good grade... *sigh*

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.