1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What would be a good FR book to start with

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Benan, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I mean outside of the Chronicles and other related stories from Dragonlance I don't much else, so what ones from Forgotten Realms would be good to start with?

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Avatar Trilogy and the Dark Elf Trilogy.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Don't start them. There are so many better books out there to read that FR books aren't worth it (IMO). Unless you are very interested in FRs for some reason or another, then I'd suggest the Avatar Trilogy.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  5. Benan Gems: 20/31

I picked up the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Rotku, I read so much that it doesn't even matter anymore. FR's will just be some quick entertainment as most books are.

6. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

forgotten realms are a light read for me.hell, WoT is a light read anymore. i can read whole paragraphs like most people would a sentence, which helps

7. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I started off with the Icewind Dale and Dark Elf Trilogies by R.A. Salvatore -- so did my brother incidentally. So that seems to me like a good place to start but if you'd rather read something a little darker than evil drow matrons, the Cleric Quintet is pretty scary. (The fifth book gave me nightmares but I was in 5th grade at the time) But that's just me

8. Benan Gems: 20/31

Yeah I polished off the Icewind Trilogy in a few days, and now I am almost done The Dark Elf Trilogy.

Are there any other Drizzt books. Or is it like Dragonlance with 6 good books and 53 crappy books.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  10. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have found the Drizzt books to have, for the most part, roughly the same caliber of writing. Generally, Salvatore's writing is fairly consistent and while there may be considerable difference of opinion as to whether or not he is a good author I have found that most people who like one of his books tend to like the others as well.

The problem with the Dragonlance series was largely that a large number of very poor books were written by the no-name author of the week. this allowed them to churn out large numbers of books and I suspect keep the royalty percentages lower compared to what they would have had to pay Weis and Hickman or some other decent author.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.