1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What You Love and What You Dislike in Baldurs Gate II? Complaints, suggestions...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by kasio, May 10, 2001.

1. kasio Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I searched through forum archives and didnt find a complete complaints/desires list. To my mind this could be useful discussion not only for fans/gamers, but also could cause some interest from rpg game developers, if they saw it. I am sure each game developing company would be happy for such feedback, as good game can not be created by 3 scenarists, 3 designers and 5 beta testers.
    Let us be short and specific.
    ------------------------------------------------------

1 st. I want horses implemented in rpg game.

2. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Developers say, that using horses would unbalance the game, so they sped up the characters movement rate, and reduced the large empty spaces.

Pros:

Fascinating adventures, Many creatures,heroes/Drizzt/ even drow, beholders and mind flayers(Yeah)

very nice graphical design

More, and more powerful spells than in BG1

Good replayability, thanks to the many classes and the class specific quests, strongholds

Cons:

So few maps, linear storyline.

No horses in the game

Some nasty bugs with the special spellcasters/sorcerer/

The monk class is stronger than all the others, they unbalance the game and should be left out from NWN!

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited May 10, 2001).]

3. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have only one criteria for all games I play, and all Black Isle games (Fallouts, BGs, IWD) qualify:

- I want to be able to replay the game three times and still not get bored with it, and I want a complex game with lots of small things and details, so when you learn all (or almost all) of them you think: "Damn, this game is well thought through!".

4. Shrike00 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Are there bugs and issues that irritate me sometimes? Yes. For instance, if I was a dragon and Cloudkills started raining down on me from just outside my visual range, would I just sit there?

But overall the game is superb. It has excellent replayibility (is that a word?) and provides hours of enjoyment. Why focus on the negative?

By the way, how full is this glass here?

5. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

problems with the game:

1. a few bugs

2. Jan's quest seems to go nowhere and leaves a child-abuser/wife-beater running around

3. I didn't really like fighting irenicus so many times. just seemed like a very odd part of the story

4. too easy to run away from spell casters and wait for protects to wear off.. but:

5. protects were just too powerful to get around by non-mage characters. I used a kensai (no magic) who would have been dead or useless without mages using high level magic scrolls because the liches and irenicus kept casting 9th level protects on themselves, making my attacks worthless

otherwise, a game well worth 40$

6. kasio Gems: 7/31

-Self respecting Dragons would not allow some snotty bastards to lay traps around them unpunished.

-Computer controlled parties split when approched gently. You can make them follow you and then kill one by one.

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

8. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

u know.. there are horses in BG1 and BG2... but u cant ride them.... and there is a place where I think horses can be tied to outside the Copper Coronet... I would really like it if we could have horses... they could be purchased... or tamed from quests.. they could be talking horses like horsey version of the Lilarcor... would be nice u know..

imagine casting Charm Animal on your enemy's horse or the enemy casting Charm Animal on ur horse!!! would make great modifiers for horse archers too and add a new skill to the game.. we can call it.. i dunno.. horseriding.. equestrian..

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Horses would be cool and I disagree with the contention that they would make play unbalanced. It all depends on the implementation. Ultima 6 allowed you to ride horses (as well as use boats and ships). The horses didn't really affect the game and once I tried it I stopped using them.
    What's good? Great story, varied enemies and combat, lot's of NPC interaction, lots of quests, cool gear. Most of all, the gameplay. The game is just fun to play.
    That is what makes BG2 so great (and so different from many other games). The story, graphics, sound, etc. are all solid, AND the game is fun to play.
    Dislikes? None worth mentioning. Many of the problems with the game have easy work arounds. If you don't like it, dont't do it.

10. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

It's good to be back (after my ban due to a spelling mistake)!!

Pros:
    -Complex plots
    -Many quests
    -Good range of NPCs
    -Many different classes/ kits
    -A large game - can't be completed in one sitting by the average gamer
    -Good combat system, this game converted me from a turn-based player to a real-time player
    -Nice range of spells
    -Good learning curve
    -Techniacally speaking (graphics and sound) its hard to fault it... although some places are far too dark, its difficult to make things out
    -Anomen

Cons:
    -Not enough evil options regarding both NPCs and plot alternatives
    -Stupid AI at times when reaching destinations
    -Having to swap CDs to get around the city.. eg. from Docks to Temple
    -Slowness of movement annoyed me alot, I generally cast haste to get from place to place because it takes so long
    -The end of the Jan quest is a little to be desired
    -The Yoshimo thing, he's the only good thief in the game... I don't like Jan (a useless mage and very low HP)although its great in terms of plot... there should be an alternative
    -At times rather linear, especially regarding how to get from chapter to chapter.

Conclusion - this is a great game but it could definitely be improved.

11. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Pro's-Good Story going in..., Kits, New Classes, Cool Monsters, Dragons!!!!!!, Class specific quests...

Cons-Story falls apart in middle...although comes back alive at the end, Dual-Class abuse, TOO MANY PROTECTION/PROTECTION REMOVAL SPELLS(PLEASE GET RID OF THESE..PLEASE), XP Cap before mage can reach 18th level, TOO MANY PROTECTION SPELLS(OH SAID THAT ONE ALREADY)

12. cathon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I like many things in the game.

I dislike:
    Not enough non-good fighters.
    Summoned creatures walking in the back of the group instead of up front where the cannon fodder belongs.
    There should have been another romance option for female characters (Perhaps Cerrnd or Haer'Dalis?) of the non-knight variety. (Guys get a good, a neutral or an evil romance, women get one romance who is either good or neutral.)
    I agree that switching CDs in the main town sucks.
    NPC mages shouldn't be able to learn find familiar if they can't cast it.
    Scripts for multi-class characters. (Any script I try with Aerie seems to suck)
    Get Boo out of the quick-slot. ;)

13. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

I agree with kasio's last post.

And a few of my own:

1. Useless kits (druids)
    2. Equalizer not powerful enough if its history is to be believed
    3. Crom Faeyr too powerful if its history is to be believed
    4. Very few protections to intelligence drain (mind flayers)

14. Hawkwinter Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I just want to be able to skip the exposition movies and the dream sequences when I replay the game! I want to give some of the other kits a shot, but I can't bring myself to sit through all of the cut scenes again...

15. kasio Gems: 7/31

Save/Reload cheating abilities reduced (cant save during combat) but not enough.
    Great Idea: Saving Must Cost GOLD! Several games have implemented this rule (eg Nomad Soul) and this had made gameplay even more exciting.

Not enough hard quests, too much hints. Eh.. miss times of LoL, Larry1...

[This message has been edited by kasio (edited May 11, 2001).]

16. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I guess my favourite bits are:

Some of the Magic items (The Holy Avenger kick major Butt! :cool: )
    The atmosphere in some places.
    Some of the spells are great (Though some of them are kinda limited in ability)
    DRAGONS, DAMNED HUGE POWERFUL DRAGONS!!!!! :D
    The way you can get your own keeps and stuff.
    And some other things which just aint quite good enough to make headline news (E.g. When you beat Irenicus in the spell hold he gets REALLY Peeved :D :D :D )

Bad things for me are probably:

The way Aerie keeps moaning and that after all of your hard work trying to woo her SHE JUST DUMPS YA!!! :mad:
    Nalia is just totally useless as a thief. And magga cammara(Dark elf trilogy book 2)THERES NO OTHER THIEVES TO USE UNTIL IMOEN GETS BACK, sheesh.
    Not enough slack for those of a dark intent, i.e. not enough Evil NPC's to join up and there are barely any true evil sub-quests
    There are probably loads more bad points, but I cant remember them.

[This message has been edited by Enthasius (edited May 11, 2001).]

17. Lestatpoet Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Pros
    The greatest game ever made.
    Cons
    AI, AI, AI, can anyone make an adversary with half a brain when they are labeled a supra-genius in the Monster Manual.

18. shikaka Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i like the flavor of baldur's gate 2 and the only part i don't like is that some item types are generally weaker...katana and long sword have better items than that of the short sword or cutlass, but that's just me

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.