1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Whatever Happened to...?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Halasz, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

David Fried's IWD2 Adaptations

I was glancing at them, and they look really great for this game, but sadly I can't find them anywhere...

2. MindChild

MindChild Science should not set limits to imagination Resourceful Veteran

3. Halasz Gems: 7/31

Yeah, this is what I was looking at, but they are 2 different sets :bad:

One David Fried's packs have genasi, and LOTS of cleric domains, sadly there is no download for them awwww....

4. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Halasz, new cleric Domains aren't all that difficult to create. The real problem is that merely implementing a new domain and appropriate spells doesn't account for the fact that a fair number of the current domains have hooks into a number of dialogs and other scripts. For example, if I were to create a replacement domain for Bane, if I only replaced the domain spells and abilities, the new domain would still be seen by the dialogs and other scripts as a Banite.

Or if a LG replacement for Ilmater were created, it would still be seen by the monk and paladin kits as an Ilmater domain and the cross-classing with that domain would remain as is.

If these sorts of limitations are acceptable to players as the price for new domains, then new domains could be added in a heartbeat.

Oh, and another thing... IIRC, the previous new domain mod let you select which of the current domains you would replace with the new domain. That is, say you wanted to add Tymora, a CG domain, the previous cleric mod would let you overwrite any of the existing 9 domains. That sounds good, but the "cost" for doing so is thousands upon thousands of lines of additional WeiDU code to support that (at least as the previous mod implemented it).

OTOH, if you only overwrote the domain of the exact same alignment, it would make domain mod writing vastly more simple. For example, if you wanted to add Tymora, a CG domain, you would have to overwrite the existing CG domain, Selune. This sort of domain overwriting is vastly simpler and requires vastly fewer lines of code to implement. I should know. Last year, I wrote the code to implement 8 new domains (all but Ilmater), one for each alignment. While I never tested the code nor attempted to install it, the code to support those 8 domains wasn't difficult to write. Heck, it was probably more work making interesting the 8 domain spell sets so that they'd have the flavor of each domain, without being overly repetitive and boring.

Just as an FYI, the eight domains that I wrote up were as follows:

Treespeaker of Mielikki (NG)
    Luckrider of Tymora (CG)
    Dweomerkeeper of Mystra (LN)
    Firewalker of Kossuth (TN)
    Windwalker of Shaundakul (CN)
    Painteacher of Loviatar (LE)
    Nightcloak of Shar (NE)
    Fang of Talona (CE)

And I also wrote the code for the Eilistraee domain (CG).

Right now, I'm working on a different IWD2 mod. But after I've completed it, perhaps I'll do something with these cleric domains.

5. halstein Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi.
    Are these domains in a file? I have the one with the racial deities, and would like more. Had to mod the Lolth domain to Eilistraee, as I did not find it online. It has some bugs, that I don't know how to sort out, so I haven't published it.

Halstein.

6. crucis

I simply did plenty of research online for the domains for each of the above dieties. The normal process according to the rules is to select two domains from your diety's list. However, for the purposes of IWD2, and good measure of originality and difference from other dieties, I would select 2 spells for each level from all domains for each of the above dieties. Furthermore, when there weren't any good options, I'd make the best possible substitution.

Here's an example of the detail that I went into developing the Eilistraee domain.

Eilistraee's domains are Good, Chaos, Charm, Drow, Elf, Moon, and Portal.

Here is one possible set of "domain" spells for Eilistraee.

L1: Charm Person, Faerie Fire
    L2: Cat's Grace, Moon Motes
    L3: Dire Charm, Moonblade
    L4: Emotion: Hope, Wall of Moonlight
    L5: Dominate Person, Greater Command
    L6: Circle of Blades, Banishment
    L7: Sunbeam, Symbol of Fear
    L8: Mind Blank, Symbol of Hopelessness
    L9: Mass Dominate, Black Blade of Disaster

And her domain "powers":
    1. Lightning Reflexes
    2. Divine Radiance (my name): +6 CHA 1/day, 1 round/level
    3. replace Mace and Quarterstaff feats with Longsword and Bastard Sword feats.

#3 is not really a "power". It's much more of just a feature of Eilistraee's church. Eilistraee is all about swordplay in combat. She greatly prefers that her clerics wield swords in battle, if at all possible. hence, the adjusted feats.

I'm curious what people would think of a new cleric domains mod that didn't deal with all of the various scripts and dialogs that mention the original 9 domains in various ways.

Adding in new domains isn't all that difficult, after you've researched and created a list of spells and domain "powers". It's the dialogs and scripts that are linked to the original dialogs that would make developing a comprehensive mod really, really difficult. OTOH, if people could "live with" a clerics mod that only provided new domain spell sets and powers but ignored the domain interactions with scripts and dialogs, providing new domains would be quite easy.

7. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I reckon I could live with that, as my cleric is rarely ever my main speaker and I believe there is only a few quests that are specifically for clerics, like healing Reig and blessing recruits etc.

8. Halasz Gems: 7/31

And, for the healing of Reig, you can use a Paladin anyways :p

9. crucis

It should be noted that the only existing IWD2 mod (not mine) that added new cleric domains didn't deal with scripts and dialogs that linked to the existing domains. It only added new domain spell sets and powers.

Just an FYI...

10. halstein Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi Crucis,
    I only changed spells and and domainpowers for my Eilistraee, however I think I did somethings a bit different with the powers.
    Changed the weapons like in #3, tried to implement Eagle's splendor for #2, but this didn't work. Got two extra "Turn undead" instead for some reason.

Think you made this page: http://pageperso.aol.fr/Ipotemine/IWD2Domains.html
    so thank for your research.

Did not do anythin with dialoge etc. so I choosed to exchange Selene with Eilistraee, as they are somewhat similar.

Halstein.

[ April 12, 2007, 18:54: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

11. crucis

halstein, that link isn't mine. That page was made by the person who made the first IWD2 clerics mod, IIRC. I basically just googled various Forgotten Realms dieties and bounced around the web for my research.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.