1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the point of HOF in Black Isle's view?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by xdiesp, Apr 6, 2011.

1. xdiesp Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is it an extreme mode intended to push powergaming, or at least hyper careful planning which borders on powergaming? Or maybe it was intended to have parties rebuffed at every pull (well, that's what happens...) and then mass resurrections because it was actually planned to have a player body count?

I remember HOF from IWD1 and it wasn't so difficult. I think it was mainly about enemy hp skyrocketing, which ate more into your time than lifebar. Like this, it's kind of discouraging having to throw away your RP parties which didn't suck after all... but can't make the jump.

And on the pragmatic side, I've noticed the "Suppress Extra Difficulty Damage" option in the .ini as well, but goblins in targos still seem to hit like trucks. Cry moar! :(

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] There was the super roleplay IE game (Torment) the balanced series (BG) and the hack and slash series (IWD) HoF was popular in Heart of Winter with its added challenge and 'secret' items dotted around, I think there would have been disappointment if it did not appear in the sequal. I know I enjoy it, and I roleplay... and run away and die a lot :D

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

HoF mode didn't add extra items in HoW, the extra HoF items were introduced in IWD2.

Consider HoF mode as extra challenge and a way to reach high levels legally for powergamers. Just a bonus for those who like it very hard. I'm sure your RP party can beat HoF mode.

The game is perfectly balanced for roleplaying at normal or easy difficulty depending on your skill. No metagaming or cheese abusing required like in the BG games.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] HoW HoF added some rare drops when you killed monsters. I remember being incredibly surprised by the find but remember it clearly nontheless. (A fiery spear in particular was the first one I found - In the prologue on one of the Orc Shamans.)

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Those game modes make things more epic!

6. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

It's not really all that different from having both Nightmare AND Hell difficulty modes for Diablo. Bigger, badder monster with better loot so that you get a better excuse to replay it. Compared to just doing another playthrough in Normal mode, that is.

7. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I like it because it makes familiar battles (from normal mode) a lot more challenging. What I mean, is that halfhearted, casual, stingy, inefficient and poorly devised tactics which may have got you by in normal mode, won't do for the challenges in HoF. Which means you need to really think about things:
    -Is it most important to immobilize the enemy warriors or clerics first?
    -Is my buff effective for protecting from my opponent's main damage type?
    -What will the weakest saving throw of this group of enemies be?
    -Am I strong enough to take them on in melee, or should I avoid it?
    -Maybe I should do something else with my bombardier other than evocation, because it's not doing enough damage...
    etcetera. I liked it. It forced me to become well-acquainted with the game mechanics. :)

8. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Must be mod related. In unmodded IWD you get the same random drops both at normal and HoF mode and definitely no fiery spear in the prologue (there's a chance to get a fire dagger).

9. Solaufein Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It gives us power gamers a challenge.

10. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

In before the obvious: Whoever comes with the idea that HoF mode "isn't really roleplaying" should be humiliated in public. It never was and never will be what HoF mode is for. It's for putting your newly minted level 16-17 characters from normal mode playthough (or, gasp, fresh level 1 newbies) in for a world of hurt just to see if they can do it.

Considering there's no "auto-release 10+ layers of invincibility on sight with instant sequencers and start spewing instant death" enhanced enemies like in some of the more difficult mods for Baldur's Gate series, HOF is still easymode for a seasoned powergamer. But it's a nice playground mode setting nevertheless.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.