1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's wrong with this word?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Apeman, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] I just typed the word sh*t in one of my replies and it gets cencored.

Isn't that word just a legitemate common used word, or is this concidered profanity?

I mean it's just another word for poo or droppings there's nothing wrong with those right? why would the word described above be any different?

I use the word everyday when something doesn't go right when it should be. As I said it's a common word.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh. Well, interesting enough that word can't be used on American broadcasts either, but "crap" can... Go figure.

3. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    It's classed as profanity. I have no idea why :)

4. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Many people do see it as profanity. Perhaps it's a regional thing, but it is a curse word around here.
    True, it means the same thing as poop, but for some reason, it's been popularly deemed as profanity. Using it when something goes wrong would definitely be cursing.

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

In Holland we are very easy with concidering something as profanity. I too use the word sh*t on a daily basis. If you ever see an interview with an American on Dutch tv, they are surprised to hear the Dutch interviewer use words like the f-word (you know, four letters, beginning with a F and ending with a K, and it isn't 'fork'). Dutch tv is the oppisite of American tv, we can use as much profanity as we want, but we can't advertise products in programmes.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The word has no meanings apart from the vulgar ones, and you will find this fact noted in any dictionary... So this discussion is pretty pointless. And what's considered vulgar here is determined by me, as I'm the one that puts words on the censor list. I didn't put every single curse on the list, only the most offensive and most commonly used ones.

Anyway, wrong forum. Moving to SS.

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Well I certainly wouldn't want to step on anyones toes here but isn't this a little hypocritic (sp?)

It's not like a curseword you can hurl at anyone, you'd have to add an 'existing' word to it like sh*thead.

To me it would be a substitute for the word 'darn'

Does anyone live in a country where if you say sh*t, everyone in the room turns their head and go: oooh aaah he/she dared to say that :eek:

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I suppose it's common if you have turrets :rolling:

A problem where you yell out rude words and yell things by accident and you don't mean and sometimes do things like spit at people and break things but don't mean to.

Good excuse for yelling out random rudeness though :rolling:

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

People in America use it quite often. Just like any other curse word.

Would most American (and possibly British) people say the s-word to their mother? I doubt it.

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] *whistles innocently*

What?
    :o
    Only when I'm annoyed...

You should hear people at school, what they talk about...

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heheh, Dutchies have that problem quite often, it seems, in foreign (English speaking) countries. Sh8t in the Netherlands is just like Whoops-a-dosia (or whatever they might say).
    I spent a few weeks in England, staying at some friends who were Christians. And when something odd happens, I just said sh*t. You just say it and you're used to it because nobody is offended by it in the Netherlands. These people didn't like that at all and were even amased that I said it, so I explained that... well... you read it already. Pretty hard o get used to that, though.

12. Alustriel a.k.a. Ashley Banned

13. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

I do.

[edit] Weird. We posted within two seconds of each other. Whenever it's on the 'Net, it's usually within five seconds. In real life, udos elendne speak at the same draeval.

(You're not the only one who knows Drow by heart, Ashley.)

14. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Curse words are weird. In my eyes, "damn" is more vulgar than "darn", so I try to only say the latter one, even though they probably mean the same thing to other people.

The worst is when someone uses swear words too frequently. Sometimes my professors throw in one cuss in hours and hours of lecture. Nobody thinks that is bad; in fact it's humorous. But if someone overuses the word, it just gets annoying.

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I'd rather say "sh*t" in front of my mother than in front of my toddler! That little mind is a sponge, and you never know when the wrong word will come come out of that little mouth.

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Please explain!

17. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Tourette Syndrome causes a person to blurt out words, especially expletives, uncontrollably.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Ah, so you're getting there, slowly! See, if I block that word, all the other curses that add an appendage to it get half of them censored too, thereby saving me the time to go adding even more curses based on that one word.

And I really couldn't care less whether you find this hypocritical or not. You can't write that word in any serious correspondence and get away with it, and neither can you here. I'm sure everyone here will agree that blocking that word doesn't take anything away from anyone, but is definitely more benefitial than not. There are plenty of milder, uncensored curses you can use if you really feel the need to curse in posts.

[ April 03, 2003, 13:28: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

19. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Blargh is a good substitute :bigeyes:

and random b words :rolling:

20. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Are 4 letter words quite common in US?
    Dude, if i say s**t here people stare at me... (including mom and dad, they look really harsh)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.