1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's your opinion of Americans?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lord Sarevok, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Lord Sarevok Guest

Most of you seem to be from europe and a few of you from some other countries, so I was wondering what's your opinion of us? I hear 3/4 of the world hates us! I don't blame them hehe.

2. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I dislike the Americans often portrayed through media. But I'm sure most of you are pretty much like the rest of us. ;)

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Sorry, my father told me not to curse so I can't tell my opinion... ;)

Just kidding, I dislike the portrait of fat people that eat ten hamburgens and hotdogs a day... And Americans can't help that their political people are so egoistic :)

4. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, when I woke up this mourning and saw this, I had to collect my thoughts. At that time, there weren't any reply's. In a matter of 30 minutes, there have been 2 reply's and they weren't as bad as I had feared.
    OK, to the point. I'm an American and very proud of my country. However, I have traveled to many places and experienced many diverse cultures. Many Americans travel abroad on vacation, I have traveled for work and in so doing have gotten to know aspects of different cultures that many Americans haven't. As this thread progresses, you'll see many view points. I hope that anyone responding will give a few specifics for your attitudes so that Americans that read this can have a better understanding of different cultures observations. Just keep in mind that we are very similar in the fact that we don't like to be grouped as a whole but have many aspects of our individual parts.
    A note to the Americans that read this. Take everything with a grain of salt!!! Just like it's hard to understand different cultures because many have not experienced them, many have not experienced ours.
    A note to all. Please keep the flames down. I know that there will be many
    A note to Tal. It might be educational to lighten up some of the rules on this one. I have a feeling that some of us Americans will have our bubbles burst.
    P@EACE to all and good will to everyone.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I've been watching it closely since it started, but we've had a couple exactly the same threads before (I think they were even titled the same), and they weren't problematic.

As for my opinion of Americans? I have nothing negative to say regarding them. People as any other people. Not much point to such a topic if you ask me. The sheer fact that large portions of Europe are americanized in one way or another should tell you that there is obviously something about USA that Europe wants too. Not everyone, but hey, nothing is 100% universal. I can't think of anything that I immensely dislike about USA or Americans in general.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited January 13, 2002).]

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There isnt much to say. The are the biggest, baddest and smartest kid on the playground.
    Sometimes they do good stuff sometimes not so good.
    The reason that alot of people dislike the US is imho that they are the top dog and that produces envy.

7. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Only other negative thing I can think about is their "sponsoring" of USA-friendly dictatorships, despite them suppressing their population.

Of course, this applies to the government, not your everyday US citizen.

[This message has been edited by Azardu (edited January 13, 2002).]

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] My opinion on Americans?

Sure, I'll write it, just tell me who are those? Yea, I know, my geography sucks...

9. Ramses Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] They are people. Like any on this earth. Tools of societies. I don't hate tools, only the wielder and I fear what they might build. America is not one of those.

Edited due to lack of concentration.

[This message has been edited by Ramses (edited January 13, 2002).]

10. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, I don't like some aspects of the american culture, but I must admit, that the most of our days popculture comes from the USA. And I don't know any american people very well, so I can't say anything good, or wrong. Btw, I don't like the american type media.

11. sorvo Guest

The American Government is who all of you hate!(If you do)We are all the same people:)

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Our Pop-culture might come from America but:

1. Todays pop-culture suck
    2. Americans come from Europe..

so we suck :)

13. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] Great logic Headbanger... :lol:

14. Mirkwood Guest

Americans... the most self-absorbed and stupid people on earth, they believe themselves the savior of the world but everyone else just laughs at them. They have little knowledge of anything outside their own borders but insist on sticking their noses into everyone else's business and then wonder why people retaliate by knocking their buildings down.

The sooner they destroy themselves by consuming vast amounts of greasy hamburgers the better. What would we miss without Americans? McDonalds? Hollywood? Disneyland?... I can live without it.

15. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Opinion of Americans, eh? Hmmm, couldnt really tell you. I'd have to meet them all first...

16. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well I'm am American and I think that our goverment is a little wack. But other wise I think were just like every one else, we just want to play RPG's.

17. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] The americans I have met were real nice people actually, easy to hang out with...
    Much much easier to come in contact with than norwegians.

But sometimes when I watch tv and see all these patriotic, flagwaving, God bless the USA people I get sick. Ok after the WTC tragedy it was a great method of raising peoples morale again, but some americans especially some politicians are doing this constantly and it is getting a little old considering that it is far from the greatest country in the world anymore.

I think america would look alot better if they toned the whole approach to the rest of the world down a bit and started with dealing with their own problems before dealing with everyone elses. And I am not talking about the recent attacks on Afghanistan etc. cause I am all for that.

18. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Lol I back DragonRider Skyward on this one...Leave us alone, we just want to play RPG's :p.

19. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Heh. Mirkwood writes that Americans are self-absorbed while in his profile it says, "Occupation: I have tons of girlfriends!", and his nicknames are "Big Man, Duke, Ace, Old Iron Balls."

Oh, and is Australia the one with the kangaroos or the one with Mozart?

20. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31

Jeez, Mirkwood, that sounded pretty stupid, self absorbed, and uninformed. Where are you from? It must be wonderful, certainly it must be better than any other nation in the free world. That's a pretty close minded comment there. You sound so- dare I say- American?

That's a pretty thorough judgement on a country that you probably have never been to, and know nothing about. I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight while I gorge myself on pop culture and plot to take over smaller, poorer, lesser educated countries. Because that's what we Americans are all about. Let's hope I choke to death.

While I'm at it, you can stop playing Baldur's Gate now. The ENEMY makes it. Then go ahead and smash your computer, throw your television and telephone out the window. After that unscrew all your lightbulbs. All invented by those stupid Americans.

Excuse me while I go redeem myself by posting a general apology for being a smartass on that other thread.

[This message has been edited by Damona Silvercloud (edited January 14, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Damona Silvercloud (edited January 14, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.