1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When and what to multiclass?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by section8, Oct 4, 2002.

1. section8 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i have:

monk of the Dark Moon
    paladin of Helm
    cleric - silverstar of selune ( i think this was a mistake)
    fighter - shield dwarf
    rogue
    wizard

all about 11th or 12th lvl. should i consider multiclassing any of them? i am still a little new at multiclassing.

[ October 05, 2002, 11:08: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You really don't *need* to multiclass in your party. I usually do, cuz when I think up characters, just one class doesn't fit their personality. Your party is fine really, though I find pally's to be useless, so you could multiclass him in something. Maybe a back up wizard? Rogue would make a good multiclass too. All your decision however.

3. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just my own opinion, I never multiclass. It is even worse in this game, because you can have someone with classes that don't make sense, like a sorcerer wizard.

4. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

One level of ranger should benefit your rogue (ability to fight with 2 weapons with very little penalties, i.e. one extra attack per round for the off-hand weapon).

One level of fighter can benefit your wizard (ability to use all weapons, armor, shields, extra attack bonus point, etc, for when you use your mage to shoot arrows or darts or even use a weapon with armor and shield - i.e. when she doesn't need to cast spells). I only make my sorcerer cast spells when really necessary, otherwise she's a pretty good archer.

As for the monk, I had created a monk that started out with 3 levels of rogue (for 2d6 extra sneak attack and early evasion feats), but when he got his 2nd attack I was extremely disappointed because he had 5 points difference between the 1st attack and the second, not 3 like a monk should have. Low level monks are really weak in IWD2, I prefer much more the monk in NWN.

Giving one level of bard to a character should also be useful to be able to use all the gadgets that only bards can use. Perhaps the character that you use to identify stuffs should get the bard level.

I gave my Aasimar Paladin one level of ranger, so she can charm animals (not always though) and have a favoured enemy, plus fight with 2 weapons too!

Look at ability scores too. For example, high Charisma is important for a Sorcerer, but also for a Cleric (turn undead) and Paladin. So a multiclass between those can be effective as you will concentrate on raising only one (or fewer) ability scores. Etc...

5. Blitz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Multiclassing has really been "nerfed" in third edition. Some combinations I've found effective though:

Taking 4 fighter levels for a ranger, paladin, rogue, or barbarian - Allows weapon specialization and maximized attacks.

Multiclassing your rogue with anything - rogues don't really need more than 10 skill + dex bonus to use any of their skills. A rogue/wizard or Rogue/fighter or even a Bard/Rogue works well. Even a druid/rogue is better than a straight rogue.

I don't really like taking one level of a certian class just to get skills... reeks of munchkinism, but a level 1 bard/sorcerer is pretty good. This allows you to use the level 1 bardsong (which is often better than a bow), as well as to use bard-only items.

Other than that, I don't multiclass. Some like to get rogue levels for their front liners to use evasion... but I'd rather just aim my fireballs better ;) .

6. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I usually multi-class my characters with a couple levels of fighter each. Most only get 4 fighter levels, like my Paladin, Ranger, or Cleric. I like my Rogues to have several Fighter levels (4-8 overall) since I like to use mine as a frontline fighter as well. Wizards and Sorcerers I usually give 1 level of Ranger so that they can use bows and so that they can dual wield if they want.

For most "tank" classes like Paladin, Barb, or Ranger I go level for level with their Original class and fighter until I get 4 fighter levels. This way they get more feats early on and they get to weapon specialization around level 8 when they pick up improved critical. With my cleric and rogue I take a fighter level at level 2 and then I usually take 2 levels of their main class between every level of fighter until they have 4 levels of fighter (or more for the Rogue).

Now, since I only tend to multi as fighter you may wonder what I would multi my fighters as??? Simple, my current fighter is a 14 level fighter 2 level rogue. He has evasion and does some small sneak attack damage on occasion.

Edit: obviously in order to play in this manner I tend to stick close to the race/favored class areas. Aasimir Paladins, Human or Dwarf fighters or clerics (since fighter is a Dwarfs favored class). Elves as wizards and sorcerers. I tend to play a human rogue, but one of these days I will try the Teiflings...

The one class I have not, and probably will not, multi-class is a monk. They need all their levels to be in monk if you want them to be effective fighters with their bare hands. And they don't really need the boost in feats or hit points that multi-classing with a few fighter levels gives to other classes.

[ October 07, 2002, 14:20: Message edited by: Grey Ghost ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.