1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When are you too old for computer games?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Blue, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I've noticed many teenagers on these forums, and also many students, probably in their twenties I suppose, and most seem to be males. I guess these groups represent the majority of gamers, both on these forums and elsewhere, but are there also elder people in here? Do we have 40- or 50- or 60-year-olds who like computer games? I hope so! It would have been such a relief to learn that you're not too old for pc games when you reach those ages. And how about women?

How would you teenagers feel about your mother or grandmother discussing strategies of how to kill Diablo or Jon Irenicus with you? Would you love it or hate it, or would it be unthinkable?

Men are, more that women, allowed to maintain some of their "childishness" into maturity, so a man in his forties playing games on his computer might not be frowned upon, and I personally know several such men. But what about a woman of that age - or older? It seems like grown women are supposed to be very mature and serious, and are not allowed to be childish anymore. Why not? And is it childish to play games?

Already well before reaching 30, they take on the role of the Adult, while their boyfriend/husband is the Child, and therefore allowed to keep playing...

Most women I know, of any age except teenagers, including all my female friends, have never touched a computer game in their life, except perhaps Solitaire once in a while. If I should mention that I like computer games, they look at me like I was something that just crawled out from under a rock, and I get the feeling that I'm a pervert and should feel very ashamed, and that I must never mention it again. Why is it like that?

In my home there are lots of computers and lots of games, and my children and their friends love it and think I'm the coolest mom at school because of it, but their father (who thank God doesn't live here) thinks I'm a nutcase for the same reason... :p

My sister, my father and I are all hooked on games, and play a lot, often. But we have no one to talk to about it, except each other. My sister is terrified that someone at her work should find out she spends a lot of her spare time playing Diablo 2 or BG2 - it's like it's not accepted at all, being a woman, and at her age (mid thirties). And my father, who is in his sixties now, has the same problem.

So, are we a bunch of unique outcasts, or are there more like us out there, and maybe even here on these forums? Why should we be ashamed of it? When are you too old for computer games?

[ August 14, 2002, 20:42: Message edited by: Blue ]

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I cannot speak for myself for I am yet young, my grandmother however is interested in role-playing games and she is way over 60. She also plays Gameboy Advance and I for one like her just how she is. She is not on the forums though because she doesn't have internet conection.

Oh, and if I see anyone looking like this :eek: , or like this :aaa: , I swear I'll find out where he lives and slice him open :evil: :flaming: .

:coffee:

3. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well Blue, I'm 39 with wife and 8 year old son, and I play these computer games. (Whenever other family or homeowner duties and obligations don't prevent me.) I find these RPG computer games relaxing, and they bring a 3D element to the old P&P, AD&D. Two of my coworkers (both 40+) play Diablo II over the net during lunch.
    I don't know why more women don't get involved with RPG, whether computer or P&P. At least the forums here allow all of us to swap ideas, provide assistance or even converse about any and all topics. Maybe we "Elder Statesmen/women" can provide advice to our younger commrades when solicited. :D

4. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Well, I am not in 40- or 50- or 60-year-olds group myself, but I know people who then still play computer games. My mother plays games on the computer, but only games like solitaire, pinball and games like pong. My father tried Age of Empires once, but he isn't the kind that plays computer games. My uncle however, who is in his late 30's plays a lot of computer games and always has the latest hardware, he has some pretty awesome games, a lot of games like Rainbow Six and race games. He can't get enough of them. He is the oldest kid I know.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I will play Computer Games until my dying day!

I'll probably be the sort of mother/Grandmother that will borrow games off people decades younger then try and master it just so I can beat them :p

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm 36 and have been playing computer games for 20 years. I don't plan on stopping.
    It is nice how there are games for every age. Some games (like the BGs) are great for most ages.

7. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I'm a 28 year old woman who started playing BG1 (and later 2) when my 40 year old then boyfriend gave them to me. My 47 year old mother hates it, but them she hates any game that invloves killing, so she's consistant there. She likes games like Myst, though, so she doesn't hate all computer games.
    As for my 79 year old grandmother, she doesn't even like turning her computer on unless mom or I is there.

8. Herf Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well I must admit I have noticed a lack of female gamers, both in P&P and on the computer. I game with 10 people overall, one of which is female, and I introduced her myself to gaming. She loves it and is starting to get into the IE games on her computer. That's one female and nine males... Not good odds. Admittedly I am only 16 and she's a year my juniour but still, I do believe the odds should be better. It slightly annoys me that more women and girls don't game, it gets boring playing with an all male party.

The only other female gamer I know is one of my DM's mother, she could tell you more about any edition of D&D or any other gaming system than anyone I've ever met, and she's about to hit 65 :D

On the "Gaming is a dirty thing." subject, I believe this is the old beliefs of D&D and all fantasy related games being linked to satanism and the occult arts. Utter crap. And there are still people around who cling to these beliefs, a teacher in school started looking at me funny when I was writing out a character sheet during a lunch period, when another teacher entered the room she whispered to her and both looked suspiciously in my direction...

There does seem to be an age limit for computer games, that I've noticed anyway... The oldest person I know who actively games in P&P is around 30, the oldest I know who uses their computer for games is around the same age, both so these people would have been caught up in the rush of computers when they became widely available, so that could explain the maximum age.

[ August 15, 2002, 01:12: Message edited by: Herf ]

9. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

When are you old to watch tv? Computer and video games are simply a new form of entertainment... A very new form, and still limited, in that almost all games are based on killing people and being a macho man. That will change when the gaming audience changes: action movies are still huge in hollywood, but there are certainly other things to see for those who have a problem with Arnold. In the same way I think we'll start seeing more and more diverse games with time, even though simple action games will remain a large genre.

10. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Herf, you're scaring me! I'm 30, does this mean I'm in my final year of gaming? :eek: I'm old! I'm old!

About the same percentage of my female friends as male friends game, but on the other hand now that I think about it, most of my friends are guys... anyway, I'm never embarrassed to answer a coworker's "what did you do this weekend" with, "I played computer games!" Although once I replied, "I played Dungeons & Dragons" and after a long, awkward silence the coworker asked, "and did you win?" :D

11. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I'm turning 32 in less than a month :wail: and I have been playing video games since the early '80s when Atari came out with their first console. I intend to continue playing for as long as can and I don't think getting older is an argument that would make me stop it!

I have a couple of friends that still play CRPG while a few others stick to console games (X-Box and the likes). They are all males and I can't think of one female that I know who plays video games. I think they are like UFOs; they say they exist, but I have yet to see one!! ;)

Oh! I just remembered; my grandmpther likes to play card games on the computer. Does that count? Or are we sticking to RPG?!!

Many years ago, my friend's late mother-in-law was a Nintendo addict! :eek: She probably was in her upper 60's and was playing games all night until the sun came up. I don't know how many games she finished, but I certainly never dared play any game against her! :shake:

[ August 15, 2002, 02:14: Message edited by: stormhand ]

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, speaking from a teenager's point of view, I can already see myself working in some profession, having time for computer RPGs, but never even touching them because I've gone out of touch with my "inner child". I guess adults who get to remain in touch with that will play more computer games and whatnot. But it's hard to say, because there's not a lot of 40 or 50-year olds in these times who were introduced to such a thing as a CRPG (or RPG, in some instances) when they were a kid.

I can see myself outgrowing Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. But DnD and SP? Never. ;)

[ August 15, 2002, 02:21: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

13. MagRed6 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] OK, I'm 41 years old. I love cycling, my corvette and role playing games. I've been playing them since Zork on the Apple IIe and fully expect to be playing Baldur's Gate IX and Unreal Tournament 2020.

It's time to stop playing when you don't want to do it anymore. Other people can think whatever they want!

Out.

14. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"So, are we a bunch of unique outcasts"

Hmmmm. I'd say more like "seen the rest of the world, and need a break from all the death and destruction for a little while".

Oh, wait a minute...I'm *roleplaying* death and destruction.
    My bad.

"When are you too old for computer games?"

GOD IN HEAVEN! Is that possible?!!!?!

I didn't realize that was a choice. It's like when you're taking a multiple choice exam, and three people around you write in answer "Q"; nun of the above.

15. Lady Jellybee Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm female, and still young, but I'd like to think I'll keep playing RPGs until I'm completely immobile. When are you too old to play? When you can't manipulate the mouse anymore! (Or when you can't get your great-great-grandchildren to do it for you.)

As for lack of female P&P RPG players, I have seven D&D books (including the three core rulebooks, the Psionics Handbook, and some Forgotten Realms ones) but I have yet to actually play. :o Now that I know how dire the situation is, I'd better go sign up! (Even though the game is mostly only played by college kids in this town...)

The reason I haven't joined in yet is 'cause I'm so shy. I imagine alot of girls who like RPGs are embarassed about it. (This is probably another difference between men and women.) I don't believe I am like most girls. I have only one close friend (a boy) and we meet every week to watch Anime and play Zelda and Diablo (I am going to give him BG for his birthday next month). I *like* playing CRPGs, and I don't want to be shy about it. Someday I *know* I will join in on P&P RPGs.

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I will NEVER out grow video games! Ever!

Here's the deal with most women:

I used to teach anyone, in my neighborhood/church, who was interested in learning how to "maximize" his or her computer skills. I taught them how and when to defrag the HD, use MS Word, Internet Explorer...and other programs.
    I offered what I called 'Packages' (for free…well, except for when someone would “pay” me by inviting me over for dinner).
    They were: Basic Computer skills/maintenance, ISPs and Networks, and Gaming: Installing/Playing/uninstalling.

Anyway, most guys (75%-80%) wanted to learn how to play games against other people on the net via 56K, DSL, or T1; as well as some of the other packages.
    Most women (90%-100%) ONLY wanted to learn how to use their ISP, how to use AIM, and/or MSN Messenger...that’s it. I would offer them free lessons on basic computer maintenance, as well as any other package I thought could help them, but most (95%) said they didn't want it, or they let their husbands do all that “hard” work.

My thoughts: Women need to sit down in a chair and play the Baldur's Gate Saga, or some other RPG that they will become addicted to!!!

They also need to learn how to do as much as they can with computers. That way, when it breaks...which it will...they can fix it without waiting for their husbands to come home.

And that is my two cents....Am I a sexest? Hell no! I know of meany women that know more about comuters than I do...they all just live in different countries. :rolling:

[ August 15, 2002, 07:54: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

17. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I started playing BG, when I was 8 years old and havent stopped since. I beat BG and M&M 6,8 with my mother, who is 31 now.

And I say, I WILL NEVER stop playing. I love it too much.

Ezellohar Shark(stupid SoA does not work)

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

All adults I know can't or wouldn't play a computer game if I paid them. Then they say that they're bad! How could they possibly know.
    I have no knowledge if girls play PnP here for the simple reason that I'm the only person I know who does! (but I am slowly inflicting people with it)
    I can't see myself not playing Games, its an absurd notion.

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Never.

I shall play computer games as long as I am able, i.e. until I can't move the mouse or my brain turns to mush.

I started playing computer games before I learned to ride a bike! And if I ever have cildren, I will teach them to use a computer and play good games such as BG2...

Ara
    (If this is a double post, blame the server... )

20. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I am a thirty-two year old woman, and I had to laugh when I read your post, Blue, because my kids' friends can't believe I game, either.

I had a conversation with some kid about Magic: the Gathering at my kids' camp just the other day:

He was sorting through his MTG Prophecy cards.

Methylviolet: "Do you have any of the avatars?"
    Kid: "This is Prophecy. Those are from Odyssey."
    Methylviolet: "Um, no. Avatars are from Prophecy."
    Kid: "No, they're not -- anyway, a *mom* into *Magic*? That's just wrong. A *dad*, OK, but not a *mom*."
    Son of Methylviolet: "What! My mom is totally into Magic! She has two boxes this big..."

My mom and grandmother used to play online Bridge. My stepmom plays some online gambling game called "Pop-It." My former boss has played Diablo, but not much. But yeah, my female friends think I'm a big goof-ball for liking things best left to 14-year-old boys.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.