1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Where do you get your screen names?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aldazar, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just something I've been wondering about, anyone else ever wondered? Maybe chuck in a why if you like!
    I mean some would be blatantly obvious to some people but to others, it's like trying to figure out the meaning of life.

I got mine from Wheel Of Time, pretty obvious to those who've read the books I know, and I picked it because I aspire to be like the Aiel - hardy, rugged, near-fearless - and also somewhat like an eagle (as the name means in Aiel) - able to get above things when necessary to get some breathing space.

Anyway, just something that I'd wondered, and for all I know, this question may have been posed before. Apologies if this is the case.

2. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Baldrak was the name of a p&p AD&D character who I played for over four years. He was a truly magnificent dwarven fighter/cleric who could kick some mighty a**. I played him from level 2/2 to level 14/15, until he was killed by a group of mindflayers. I've even been mad at the DM for letting Baldrak get killed...

[ September 16, 2003, 11:26: Message edited by: Baldrak ]

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Long long story, so lets begin shall we.

I hate when people ask what I want to do when I grow up. What job I want to have, and... you know the sorts of questions.
    Well, I got really annoyed with these questions so I just started answering them by saying, "I want to rule the world."

After a while of this a friend pointed out how small a place the world was, and suggested that I go for the universe. So I did. I even changed my email address so it was ruler_of_the_universe.
    After a while, about a year or so, I started to get bored of this address, mainly because it got to much junk mail, so I decided to get a new one.
    After ages of thinking I decided that it could be ruler_of_the_known_universe because... well, just because.

If you know me well you'd know that I'm hopeless at remembering things like that, so I have all my user names and everything the same. So then came the day that I registed at SP, and of course, my screen name stayed the same "Ruler of the Known Universe".

After a month or so at the BoM, someone (Kitrax IIRC) complained that my name was to long, so I decided to shorten it to RotKU. I had this until about a month ago when I decided that Rotku had become more of a name to me than an abreveation, so I decided to change it to Rotku (as in not standing for anything :p ).
    So that's that, the story behind Rotku's name...

4. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Mine is a misspelt version of the name Raistlin from Dragonlance. Raistlin was merciless, logical, wise and he destroyed the world.

5. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Erebus is the Greek deity of night or darkness, I can't remember which.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Of course this question has been asked before... but who cares? :roll:

Hubby raced RC cars and I got bored just watching so I got one too, in the rally car class. I was the only woman on the driver stand and pregnant at the time, so... Rallymama.

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I was a famous general for the Byzantine Empire in a former life. I didn't realize it until the revelation came to me during a paintball battle in 1999. I was able to use my vast knowledge of battle strategy to spur my team to victory! I was then able to recapture most of our western playing field. My team captain recalled me before I became too popular with the troops.

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Falstaff is one of Shakespeare's most amusing characters, and one of my personal favorites. We also have some of the same interests (drinking and wenches) although I am not nearly as cowardly (I hope) as the Bard's character.

That's pretty much it.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Where do you go for a good wenching these days?

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Sir Bel, I teach at a State University - the wenches are EVERYWHERE!

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I invented Daephon all by myself, while sitting in front of the computer. But some days ago, I made a search on Google, then I find out what "it" is:

Nice :D

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Topics on this subject are actually made on a regular basis ;)

Old highschool nick. It's also the login part of my e-mail address. In full it was chevalier des Trois-Tours. My friends kept calling me that, not always in English. IIRC I thought it up myself for a fake quote, so it's all my own fault. So far as origins are concerned, it's a heraldic thing. But don't make me repeat the story again. Please.

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

There is nothing really creative about mine, it is just my initials. I have been using my initials in this way since I was in high school.

We had to select a four letter ID code for a business game where the results of our weekly decisions were determined by an outside party. Our teacher arbitrarily announced that he wanted us to use the first three letters of our last name followed by the first initial of our given name.

I really didn't think much of being identified as BIBS so I decided to ignore my teacher's request and used my initials instead. The teacher was one of the most anal S.O.B.s that I have ever met and he was quite annoyed at my ignoring his instruction.

Given that everyone in the class hated the teacher, my classmates started to refer to me by my initials whenever the teacher was within hearing distance. Over the course of the semester I became rather fond of JSBB so I have been using it as a login ever since.

14. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I started out with HowManyNeb, which is from BG1. It was stupid, so I changed it to Mystra's Chosen because I like how The Chosen of Mystra are like Gandalf's order in LotR. They are infinatly wise and good (well, besides Saruman anyhow) and are very powerful (they acutally have a Con of 25, even though in BG Elminster doesn't).

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm 8people.

Just 8people.

not 9people, or 7people, 8people, and nothing other.

I suppose to expand further will make everyone think I'm mad - but anyway - I have people in my head. :p

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've been using my initials since 7th grade (1978) when we first had to log in to the new, spercool mainframe that our school hooked into through the phone lines. Boring, I know, but us old-folk forget things easily, and that includes screen names and the like. Now, what was I talking about . . . ?

17. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It dates back to the days when I was friend with several of those people who "paint" the streets at night. They got me to choose a name for myself, as we just reviewed litotes, oxymores, metaphors, metonymies and the like in French class...

18. Gavin de Valge Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I saw topics like this before I started posting, so this is my first chance to explain how the name, Gavin de Valge, came into being...

It begins and ends with my love for learning languages.

On the first day of my Spanish class, I found myself in a class with three other people with the same name that I was given. So, after running through the list, they asked if any of us wanted to be called by some sort of nickname. Knowing that there wouldn't be anyone who wanted to be called Gavin, I simply raised my hand and asked for the name.

I then tried to use Gavin as my nickname on SP, and found it was taken, so I had to change it a bit. What was I to do :confused: ?

The "de Valge" part also goes back to my love of languages. "De" is simply the Spanish and French way of saying "of", and I decided that on a D&D site I wanted to be somewhat medieval. I was told that "Valge" is the Estonian word for white, so I put all three together...and that's it.

19. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Benanthalin

Ben is my name.

Benanthalin is the name I use for my charecter in the games. Usually an Elvin fighter/ranger.

I kept it simple.

20. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

From the song Fade to Black, which also happens to be my nickname for other games that I play. I just shortened it to fade for these boards.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.