1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Where do you guys usually put proficiency point to?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by g4mer, Jun 15, 2006.

1. g4mer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Especially for Inquisitor, Mazzy, and Minsc?

For Mazzy I know that she can have 3 grand mastery and I already put them into short sword and short bow. Where should i put the rest? Should I choose another weapon or go with style? (like one handed for -2 ac)

And for Minsc is it good if I go with dual wielding axe?

And last for my char an Inquisitor. I already put into two handed style, two handed sword (for carsomyr) and katana(for celestial fury), where should I go next? Crossbow ?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Sounds like you've got a good strategy already worked out. I daresay you don't need to ask us for advice. :)

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Maybe choose a blunt weapon?

4. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I liked going with twohanded weapon style with minsc for extra damage and improved critical threat.

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Inquisitor:
    (looks a lot like Keldorn's profs)
    2 handed swords **
    crossbow **
    2 handed weapon style **

Mazzy:
    short sword *****
    shortbow *****
    axe **

Minsc:
    longbow **
    2 weapon fighting style **
    mace **
    2 handed sword **
    halberd **
    2 handed weapon style **

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Mazzy:

5 Halberd
    5 ShortBow
    2 Two Handed Style

Keldorn:

2 Two Handed Sword
    2 Two Handed Style
    2 Staff

Minsc:

3 Two Weapon Style
    2 Axes (most important, or go for Flails)
    2 Longsword (equalizer for the offhand. Alternately, choose Scimitar for Belm)
    2 Mace

7. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Inquisitors are made for two-handed swords (for obvious reasons), and the easiest way to make the best return on your investment of ** in 2-handed weapon style is with halberds. I have no clue why people on these forums seem to want to give Mazzy (or their bard PCs) halberds, but until you get Carsomyr, the Harmonium Halberd from the Collector's CD merchant, which gives you +1 STR, is a mighty fine weapon to carry for an Inquisitor, especially when you get tired of listening to Lilarcor.

If you want to go 1-handed, then longswords will provide a lot more versatility because there are about 4,732 powerful magical longswords in SOA, presumably for dual-wielding. Though to be fair, it is hard to argue with the sheer power of Celestial Fury in SOA.

If you have an Inquisitor CHARNAME who will be using the holy avenger, Minsc doesn't need to be using two-handed swords. He should be dual-wielding. In SOA, the most immediately obvious choice is flail/morningstar for the Flail of Ages +3 (which is a great main hand weapon in SOA). Then, after that, consider axes, longswords (if CHARNAME or Mazzy doesn't use them), maces for the Mace of Disruption, and possibly warhammers for Crom Faeyr. Early on, there are plenty of great flails along with the Flail of Ages, so ** in flails and *** in two-weapon style will keep you covered for a long time until you can start Stonefire +3, the magical longswords, etc. etc.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have to echo what other people have said. In regards to a PC Inquisitor, I'm assuming that you're going to be using Carsomyr, so immediately that means you are going to be putting ** in both two-handed swords and two handed weapon style. Since you're already investing in two handed weapon style, and Carsomyr is definitely a difficult item to get early on, it makes sense to spend other proficiency points in two handed weapons that will be available to you earlier in the game. Specifically, you're looking at halberds, quarterstaves and spears. There are NO spears of significance that you can acquire before getting Carsomyr, so they are out. Most of the better halberds also occur later in the game, and so I typically go for quarterstaves. You can pick up a quarterstaff of +2 or +3 enchantment just doing some simple quests in Athkatla. If you are willing to spend the money, the Staff of Rynn can be purchased at Ribald's and it's +4.

For Minsc you really have two choices - whether he is going to specialize in a two handed weapon or dual wield. If you go for two handed weapons, Lilacor is good for the beginning of the game. You next proficiencies points should be spent in two handed weapon style, and then I'd recommend going for halberds. If you plan to dual wield Minsc, you're in decent shape because he already comes with ** in two weapon style. However, his only starting specialization in single handed weapons are maces, which are a little lacking. Other than the Mace of Disruption, you won't find another decent mace until you hit the Underdark. Therefore, I strongly recommend spending your next two points in either axes (my preference) or flails.

Regardless of when you pick up Mazzy, she is going to have all her proficiencies placed in short bows (typically 5 stars) and short swords (at least 2 stars, but variable depending on when you pick her up). If you're planning on placing Mazzy in the front lines, short swords are simply not going to cut it (no pun intended). While there are some decent short swords for offhand options, none are worthy of primary weapon status. Therefore, I'd recommend spending at least your next two proficiency points in either axes or flails (whichever you didn't pick for Minsc). As Minsc already is specialized in dual wielding, I give him axes, as there are more options for axes than flails. That would mean Mazzy gets the Flail of the Ages. I would not recommend dual wielding with Mazzy early on, as she has no proficiency points in two weapon style when you pick her up, which means she'll receive a -4 penalty to hit with her main hand, and a -8 penalty to hit with her off hand - that's simply unworkable. Since gaining proficiency and specialization in another weapon class is going to take priority over everything else, it is going to be quite some time before Mazzy will be able to effectively dual wield. But that's OK if you pick flails. Other than the Flail of the Ages, the only other possible flail you'd even consider using in the whole of SoA is the Defender of Easthaven from the bonus merchant in the Copper Coronet, and you likely won't have the money to purchase such an optional weapon until your return from the Underdark anyway.

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm tellin' ya, Mazzy was made for Halberds (or any other two handed weapon). Switching between her Short Bow and a two handed weapon is simple, and very effective.

BTW (minor spoiler): IMHO, the best weapon in the game in ToB is a Halberd. This is admittedly very debateable.

10. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

For an Inquisitor or any Paladin type characters, I usually spend them on:

Two Handed Sword **
    Two Handed Style **
    Sword and Shield **
    and toss between Flails or Longswords

Why Sword and Shield, a little protection helps especially when retrieving Carsomyr from Firkraag. Flails or Longswords, it's easy to get your hands on +3 weapons of these types in the early part of the game. Flails, Flail of Ages in particular, do have some advantages over Longswords as there are some monsters that are immune to slashing and piercing. Paladins are tanks for me, so I don't waste skill points for range weapons.

In all my games, Minsc always goes with that talking two handed sword (his name escapes me). It's a great complement for him as the sword provided some mind protection for his low saving throws in that department. I just add Sword and Shield, to complement his Mace proficiency, comes in handy when going against undead with Mace of Disruption and a decent shield. I seldom give him a range weapon either as I played him as a tank.

Mazzy, I always think that giving her Staves, Spears and Halberd should be the right way to do. It cuts down her disadvantages of being short. Hehe, just kidding, I usually didn't bother much with her but if I did, it's just Short Sword, Short Bow, and a randomly decided weapon or Sword and Shield.

But it can sometimes be annoying when shifting from a two-handed weapon and weapon and shield.

11. Felinoid

For archer-melee type characters like Mazzy, I just give them Single Weapon Style. Sure, it's only 2 points of AC compared to the 1-5 you could get with a shield, but the extra criticals more than make up for it. And if you're going to spend time switching out the bow for something in the off-hand, make it Kundane and dual-wield. She's a positive blizzard with the Mace of Disruption and Kundane in my game, and maces could be switched out for whatever you prefer in yours (since she only comes with Short Sword and Short Bow).

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    AND

How does sword and shield proficiency help against either Firkraag or undead? I was under the impression that the sword and shield proficiency only provided an AC bonus versus missile weapons, but did nothing in regards to melee weapons. That's why I don't ever pick sword and shield proficiency for my tanks, because I couldn't possibly care if my tank gets hit be a 1d6 arrow, 1d4 bolt, 1d4+1 bullet, or a 1d3 dart.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Keldorn starts with:

** Two-handed Sword
    ** Crossbow
    * Bastard Sword

I'll give him ** in two handed weapon style and then build on that with halberds, spears, or staves.

Minsc starts with:

** two-handed sword
    ** mace
    ** long bow
    ** two weapon style

I put ** in axes, the third * in two weapon style, then long swords.

Mazzy starts with:

*** short sword
    ***** short bow

I put *** in two weapon style. Then ** in a blunt weapon (hammers or maces). She is also good with a katana if you give her proficiency (but I'd just take Valygar).

For your character I think katana is a waste. Carsomyr will be used 90% of the time. Give Celestial Fury to another fighter (perhaps Mazzy). Short bows is an excellent weapon to be proficient in for a missile weapon (better than crossbows). Axes are excellent for azuredge (great against undead). I always have a blunt weapon proficiency (mace, flail, hammer). Long swords is another good place to put proficiency.

14. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Aldeth, I just figure that having a shield do increase your AC. That's the only logic I'm working with. The undead was more related to Mace of Disruption. But then again, I really don't care much about the intricacies of the D&D rules. ;D

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Don't get me wrong - I certainly see the value in using a shield. I just don't ever pick sword and shield proficiency with my tanks. I'd rather learn to use more weapon classes than to get a bonus against missile weapons. You still get the base AC bonus listed on the shield regardless of whether you select the sword and shield proficiency or not.

16. Felinoid

To put it succinctly, you don't need Sword & Shield to use a shield. And you don't really need Sword & Shield for anything else, either. Missile Weapon AC is all you get out of it, and if that's so important you can get the same effect with the Fortress Shield that the Adventurer's Mart sells, or a better effect with Boots of Avoidance. Weapon proficiency, OTOH, has no alternative. (Unless you count the spells that temporarily give you proficiency with the weapon they create, like Black Blade of Disaster.)

Sword & Shield proficiency is a complete waste except for those characters who you are positively sure are going to have a shield the whole game and can't get (or don't need) a whole lot of points in weapon proficiencies. A straight cleric, for example, will run out of proficiencies to get, and I'd bet they'll not be dual-wielding (because of the penalties and already not-quite-low THAC0) or carrying a staff. But even in those cases it's a matter of wasting less, rather than getting something really useful out of it.

17. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

:yot:
    Perhaps a bright modder should make shield only usable if the character has proficency in sword & shield style, or like with two weapon make the wielder suffer a thaco penalty if they have less than 2stars in it.

18. w.d. Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@T2Bruno, I was under the impression that mazzy's proficiencies depeded on her level, which in turn depended on ur lvl... but I might be wrong...
    I completely agree with fel, sword & shield isnt something worth putting prof points into, unless ur gona use a shield for sure and have run out of wep prof's to increase... a char like viconia would be a good example of someone who's gona have points in sword&shield.. Jah in my case as well.
    Furthermore, when deciding which wep prof to increase for a particular char you should take into account your whole party, because there's not 6 crom's, or fury's .. and go from there - bascially trying to put one or two of the "better" weapons on every char.

19. Felinoid

Yes, but the extra points just go into Short Sword. Any time you meet her (in SoA), she'll have 5 *s in Short Bow and the rest in Short Sword. That's just how the halfling rolls... :rolling:

20. w.d. Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I was only implying that she wont necessarily have *** in sw...

ps. this is what I do before going to bed, I pick on minute details of someone's post...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.