1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Still reading Pratchett's Going Postal at the moment... great book, and a good entry point for anyone new to Pratchett.

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Been on a big Stephen Lawhead kick lately. I've started Patrick - I'm not very far in, but so far, so good. I love his historical fiction. Byzantium was excellent, so I have high hopes for Patrick.

I recently finished Book I of his "Celtic Crusades" trilogy: The Iron Lance. (Another excellent book, by the way!) I tried to start Book II: The Black Rood, but for some reason it's not nearly as good. I put it down last week and haven't picked it back up yet. Maybe if I ever finish it, I'll try out the third one... IF I ever finish the second! :D

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Finished 'sourcery' by pratchett. Currently doubting between another Discworld or rereading Martin's saga.

BTW this should be nr. III in the what are you reading currently thread.

4. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Finished Heart of Darkness. Great book. Absolutely great. Now I'm thinking if I have time of starting Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations. Probably won't have time though. After all, I am taking a lit class. Sigh...

5. netdiver Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ringworld by Larry Niven.

6. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Principles of Information Technology by Obrien....not my idea of a pleasure read. :lol:

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Common Lisp: A gentle introduction to Symbolic Computation, oh the lists! The sheer horror!

I am planning to build a AI that will replace human life, should be finished by 2090, if I start now...

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

James Patterson's "Violets Are Blue"

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"A Hunger in the Soul" Mike Resnick.

Are all James Patterson books named after lines from nursery rhymes?

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    "The Real Story" by Stephen Donaldson.

I'm liking it a lot more than I did the first thomas covenant book. It's a lot less....boring ;)

11. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

@Taluntain:
    Is that out in softcover yet? If yes, what country do you live in? Because I try not to buy them in hardcover...

12. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Just read "Paholaisen huilu" (Devil's Flute) By a guy whose name I didn't bother to rem,ember. Appalling goop, really... far too may POVs, stupid plot devices, and just about everything was stolen from D&D and just twiddled around a bit to avoid lawsuits.

*sigh*

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yirimyah, no, it's only been released in hardcover in the UK today. I got a galley from HarperCollins for a review. ;)

14. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, mum pinched Violets Are Blue so now I'm reading "Journal Of A Ghost Hunter" by (IIRC) a guy named Simon Marsden

15. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Deicided to start to re-read the Silmarilion and Grrrrrrr... found out I've managed to spell my name wrong. Serves me right for trusting in a Google search.

Can I have the dunce's spelling cap for the week/month/year/rest of time please?

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Aww, it isn't that bad, not really.

My nick was originally a typo, too :D

i think it's time to re-read the Silmarillion...

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I picked up Conqueror's Moon by Julian May expecting it to be as amazingly brilliant as her other things - so far it doesn't look like it. Looks very, very standard with a crappy writing style. Meh. Maybe I'll just reread The Saga of the Exiles again...

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well I decided to re-read 'a game of thrones' in the 'A song of fire and ice' series and I'm already knee deep into it. This is by far my favourit and now I can for the second time really absorb all words.

19. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

ELRIC OF MELNIBONE by Michael Moorcock

20. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Currently reading the Cleric's Quintet Complete... Specifically(sp?) the third book, Night Masks. Quite a book actually, better than the Drizzt ones anyway...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.