1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Faerus Stoneslammer, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I just got a huge assignment in my English class, and I have to choose three of four books to read. I was wondering if anyone could recommend which ones I should read?
    The books are...
    -1984 (I've started this one, so pick 2 of the next 3 ones:p)
    -The Handmaid's Tale
    -A Clockwork Orange
    -One Flew Over a Cuckoos' Nest

Try to reccomend them without giving any spoilers, please...:sadpuppyface:

[ September 27, 2002, 01:57: Message edited by: Faerus Stoneslammer ]

2. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

A Clockwork Orange is pretty disturbing (have you seen the movie? WOW that was WIERD), but if you can tolerate violence, I'd pick that and One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (also a good movie).

Without spoiling anything, A Clockwork Orange is very bizarre and surrealistic (and violent). :mad: :eek: It's kind of a social commentary on violence, prison, and the like. I don't think it was particularily gory, no dismemberments or anything, but the gang are beating each other and everyone else up constantly. It's a gaudy, garish, bizarre world where drugs and violence are a way of life.

One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest I have forgotten most of, but I remember the mental asylum, and that it was pretty funny. :p

I really liked 1984 too, you can kind of see parallels of it in today's society. People make references to "Big Brother" and other things in 1984 all the time (mostly in the media), and now you will finally be able to nod knowingly when they do this :D

[ September 27, 2002, 02:48: Message edited by: Nutrimat ]

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A clockwork orange is all that Nutrimat said and more. I think it is one very good book even if it disturbing. The language is great and the story is intriguing.

4. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Stay away from Handmaids tale. Marget Atwood(author) really is just overhyped.

5. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Boy I must get A Clockwork Orange. You must be very well-read Nutrimat ;o)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.