1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which class - if you could only play once...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Right, it took me about a year to finish Icewind Dale II and it's looking like it's going to take me about a year to finish Baldur's Gate. At this electric pace, it is likely that I will only play Baldur's Gate II all the way through once. With that in mind, what class should I use?

Note that the answer to this question is not the most powerful class, but the one that will be the most interesting / entertaining / different for my one and only journey through this game. My character in BG is a Paladin (just in case your answer is that I should take my BG character on to BG II).

2. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The Blade (Bard kit).

The kit has much to recommend it, is enjoyable to play (almost like a single-class F/M/T), the stronghold quest is a bit of fun and the only NPC who clashes with that class is Haer'Dalis... who most people don't use anyway. You can fight better than a thief, cast enough arcane spells to get by (and in some cases completely break the game engine), steal, sing, and you never have to worry about Identify scrolls. Also, Bards level up quickly, so your spells will be better/harder to dispel than those of a mage or sorceror at the same point in the game.

EDIT: Plus it's got style.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Is the Blade worth sacrificing my hard-fought BG1 character for?

4. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

Well, if you're not super-attached to him, sure. If you want to carry on, then there's no reason not to import and keep going (but if you're only doing it once, make sure you carry a certain golden item into BG2 with your Paladin). I just think that the Blade is the most fun character to play through BG2 with.

5. Harbourboy

I hope you don't mean those golden panties, because I gave those back to that campy fellow in the inn because I couldn't work out what else to do with them.

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

Ah... well, I guess it wouldn't really be RPing anyway, what with the requirements for the accompanying silver pants being the sort of thing that *should* cost you your paladin-hood. Although I think there might be a way to get them back - will have to check (there's a thief in Baldur's Gate who nicks the pants off you if you didn't give them back).

7. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

You should import your paladin and change him in to one of the kits, preferably undead hunter.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd say the Blade as well, because it offers so much versatility.

Alternatively, change your Paladin into an Inquisitor.

Or you could take a Kensai.
    Or a Monk.
    Or a Barbarian.
    Or maybe a Berserker.
    Or a multi-classed ranger/cleric.
    Or...

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Elven Kensai. There's just something so... Bladesinger-ish about them.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I would recommend against the blade, because there's an NPC who is a blade. You could certainly stick with your paladin and I would make him either a cavalier or undead hunter.

I would further recommend the following party:

PC
    Keldorn, Human Inquisitor (as the second tank)
    Haer-Dalis Teifling Blade (also backup mage)
    Yoshimo, then Imoen (main mage)
    The last two I would reserve for RPing purporses, i.e., taking Minsc and Jaheria.

11. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you're going to play through BG2 & ToB only once, I'd recommend playing with a full party to get the most banter, romance, and NPC quests. Experience won't be a problem since you'll be doing most of the quests in the game.

Leave room for Imoen and a certain infamous NPC when you begin ToB. Minsc and Jaheira are the logical choices if you want to follow through from BG1, and Haer'Dalis works very well with Imoen for rounding out your thieving and backup mage needs.

Class-wise, you'll be happy importing your Paladin and adding a kit (you can't go wrong with any of the paladin kits).

12. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think if you're just going through once, you should definitely stick with the paladin.

1) you've already run through BG with him, so this will be an organic continuation of the story arc. This is, I think, the strongest argument for taking him: storyline is what separates the BG series from IWD, so before you start thinking about powergaming the series (or even consulting FAQs, these boards, etc. too much), you should really try to let the story play itself out naturally.

2) the paladin requires much less micromanagement than the blade, especially if you choose to import him as an inquisitor, thereby greatly simplifying your battles with mages. As above, all of the pally kits are good. Of course, you could take Keldorn as well, but you might want to use that slot for something other than another paladin.

3) the paladin stronghold quests are *far* more interesting than the bard's.

4) your character, as a LG paladin, has a rather natural love interest in the game (hey, he's a pally), who you can pick up very early on. This will lead to interesting dialogue options assuming that you also have Jaheira, and it will also directly point you toward picking up Haer'Dalis, leading to even more interesting dialogue options. So, as mentioned above, you can have both your blade and your pally, *and* some interesting story twists.

So, I would try the following party post-Chateau Irenicus, listed in order of appearance:

1) PC (Paladin kit)
    2) Minsc (well-developed character, fits storyline)
    3) Jaheira (again, well-developed character)
    4) Yoshimo (again, well-developed character)
    5) Aerie (/me puts on flak suit)
    6) Haerie, I mean Haer'Dalis (your blade)

This is, I think, a balanced party with rich dialogue and story options.

But whoever you end up with, avoid FAQ's and discussion boards as much as possible, especially your first time through...

13. Harbourboy

Ah, nice analysis, Bion (and everyone else).

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It depends on if you have already played BG2 before. If you have, and are acquainted with the system for magic, and abilities etc, i.e if you are not a "newbie" :p then I would VERY highly recommend the Sorcerer. If not, then the Mage/Thief and Fighter/Thief classes are immensely fun as well.

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Wizard-Slayer. No need to explain, as it is the best of them all.

16. Harbourboy

As far as I can see, importing the BG1 paladin has a big advantage in that she could have up to 161,000 XP whereas a new BGII character will only have 85,000. Is this correct? Is this much of an advantage?

17. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Not to mention the bonuses from the books from BG. What is it, +3 to wisdom if you play it right? Plus a point in each of the other stats.

I would take the Paladin through, and use the party suggested by Bion. Well rounded, and strong from an RPing PoV.

18. Scythe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Harbourboy
    Yep you are correct you can start with more exps. But it is hardly any advantage at all. You rack up the difference in the first hour of playing. The big advantage (as already mentioned) is the stats bonus books, esp if you get Str 19, Con 19 and Dex 19.

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Harbourboy: About the experience bit...its not much of a difference. Here's why.

By the time you leave Irenicus' dungeon, you will be equipped with Sword of Chaos +2 (assuming you DID take 2-handed sword proficiencies? You DO want to use Carsomyr +5, right? ;) ), Mail of the Dead +2, and other stuff like Amulet of Protection +1, Ring of Protection +1 etc etc.

Anyway...with that kind of equipment, you can easily solo a few quests such as the Circus quest, the Copper Coronet Slavers Quests etc etc. Those, within an hour of real time gameplay will give you atleast as much experience, as you would have gotten by importing your paladin from BG1. The experience, hence, is not much of a factor here.

I still say get a Sorcerer and torch everything that moves. :evil:

20. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Your PC is a she?! That would change things for the party.

If that's the case, you'll want to take Anomen (if you can stomach him), and you should *strongly* consider adding the Kelsey mod. Plus, you'd be making Faraaz very happy by taking a sorcerer. ;)

So... you'd end up with: PC (pally chick), Yoshimo, Anomen, and Kelsey, and then could decide perhaps between a) Minsc and Jaheira (more melee, continued use of BG1 companions) or b) Aerie and Haerie (spellcasting and blade madness...).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.