1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which is the Greatest Rock Band Ever???

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Blades of Vanatar, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My vote, Led Zepplin...

Was going to try and make a poll, but they're to many great bands...

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Monkees :)

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

They were my second choice...:rolleyes:

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Can I cheat and have several ones? :p

Led Zepplin
    Pink Floyd
    David Bowie (his rock phase from 1970 to 1975 is his best stuff)
    Jimi Hendrix (he took a Dylan song and made it even better. Try to beat that!)
    The Beach Boys
    Aerosmith

OK I've got to stop somewhere, otherwise I'll have another half a dozen honourable mentions. If I had to pick one and only one, it'll probably be Pink Floyd, mainly because of my reaction when I listened to Animals after almost a decade. "Hey this is really good". Then ten minutes later, still on the same track: "This is amazing!" Bowie almost made it to #1 but he's not a band and The Width of a Circle, and indeed all of The Man Who Sold The World, feels more like a metal album masquerading as rock.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "Greatest"? Or "Favourite"?

It would be hard to argue with The Beatles as the former.

Probably Floyd as the latter. Or Rush. Or early Chicago (Pre-VIII). Or Abba.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  7. Blades of Vanatar

Where I like some of the Beatles music, I have never thought of them as "great". I know they were icons in their time, which is before I was born, but listening to them now doesn't do alot for me. To me, their songs are just part of a big group of bands that are "easy listening" for me, but not mainstays in my music collection. On the other hand, listening to bands like Zepplin, the Doors, Pink Floyd, they are must in my collection. Even Van Halen is a mainstay for me, but not the Beatles. I'm probably musically handi-capped.:)

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Queen

9. Blades of Vanatar

I'm still awaiting the "U2" response from somebody...:p There's always one...

10. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I'd definitely go with Beatles as greatest. I'm not mad on them personally but they're influence and pioneering work is colossal, though some of their early work in particular sounds quite poppy to my ears. And it's pretty much impossible to dislike them, everybody will regard them as easy listening at worst I find.

I tend to listen to modern music a lot more (say late 90s onwards) and my favourite band will tend to change quite a bit. Does Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds count as a solo artist or a band? Still, I wouldn't regard any of my favourites as being the 'greatest' of all time.

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Splunge is right, at least in my opinion, regarding the Beatles. They are probably the most influential and beloved rock band cited by other musicians. The Beatles occupy a certain space in rock music all by themselves.

My "favorite" though is probably the Rolling Stones. Their roots are so deep in the Blues and early rock & roll, especially their stuff from "The Rolling Stones, Now!" (1965) -- "Exile On Main Street" (1972).

Other favorites:

Jethro Tull
    Led Zeppelin
    Yes
    The Who
    The Grateful Dead
    Neil Young

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

13. Blades of Vanatar

I had that one coming...:)

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Anyone can make a Dylan song better -- he's not singing. Try doing a song with the title "Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict." Wheeee!

Most influential...
    Buddy Holly and the Crickets
    The Beatles
    Cream
    The Byrds
    CCR
    Elvis
    Ray Charles

15. Blades of Vanatar

You put Ray Charles in a Rock Band category? "Sunshine of your love" by Cream is one of my all-time favorites...great tune.

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Dude, that's my favourite song! And yes, I like Bob Dylan.

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Really, the PF track? Or were you just being funny?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  18. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I was being funny, it's not my favourite but I do not dislike it. ;)

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    You almost got me, Morgoth. :)

I thought some Zep fans may find this interesting, mostly because of the bottom link:

http://www.examiner.com/x-18211-Led...-Rolling-Stone-list-of-favorite-LPs-from-1969

But this was from 40 years ago (btw, Jeff Beck's "Truth," is a classic, IMO):

20. T2Bruno

Media:
    ...I was just following the lead of misguided individuals who listed Jimi and Dylan as bands as well. Oh, yes and by the way, which one's Pink? I actually had a car salesman say "his stuff is pretty good" when I was testing a CD player in a car with A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Ummagumma is a great album -- I also like "Careful with that Axe Eugene."

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.