1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which should I read first?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Smaug, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Smaug Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Should I read Baldur's Gate the novel first? This is what this site says but I'm just making sure.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Read it first in comparison to what precisly?

3. Smaug Gems: 1/31

Oh sorry. I meant, should I read it first in the Forgotten Realms series.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Well you can't realy call the FR books a series as there are so many writers and so many parts to it. I have heard some realy bad things about the Baldur's Gate books. If I were you I would give FR a pass, they're too much money for too little

5. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The Baldurs gate books are pretty good, well I read them first before anything else.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What I wrote was meant to indicate that for each separate cluster of books, they are listed in order they should be read. But you can start with any bunch of FR books, really.

And if I were you, I'd skip the BG books altogether. They're the worst of all FR books. Start with something from Salvatore or Greenwood, which is a good typical entry point. Anyway, there have been a dozen topics on the subject of where to start with the FR books, so just explore this forum a bit and you'll find them.

8. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I recommend starting with R.A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy (The Chrystal shard, Streams of silver, and the Halflings gem). They are very good reading.

9. Smaug Gems: 1/31

Thanks guys. I actually have the Icewind Dale Trilogy but I stopped to read BG because I misunderstood the book guide. Thank you for setting me straight.

10. Rathanel Gems: 1/31

Well, the Avatar Trilogy (Shadowdale, Tantras, and Waterdeep) is one of the better ones in the Forgotten Realms setting, but the high points are the Elminster series, Salvatore's books, and the Harper's series. Any of those would make an excellent starting point.

11. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well, IMHO you should first read the Dark Elf Trilogy, it was a great trilogy, very easy to read, and covered a lot of ground quickly. After that I recommend the IWD trilogy, I found that I enjoyed it more when I read the Dark Elf Trilogy first, it gives you a better understanding of Drizzt. After those I recommend either the other Drizzt books or the Elminster series. After that pretty much anything works.

[ January 29, 2003, 20:44: Message edited by: Lord Neon ]

12. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Elminster Series
    Dark Elf Trilogy
    Icewind Dale Trilogy
    or Salvatore's Cleric Stuff can give you a point of view about FR.

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Add the cormyr trilogy to that and you're pretty far.

14. Champion of the Multiverse Gems: 1/31

I've only read about 30 Forgotten Realms books, so I may not be the most reliable source. Out of what I have read though, I would recommend starting out with The Avatar Trilogy and the 2 sequals. Excellent books that will make you want to read more FR. Better than RAS' Drizzt and Cadderly books, and better than the Elminster books.

15. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

IMHO go:

Dark Elf Trilogy
    Icewind Dale Trilogy
    Next Drizzt Trilogy(can't remember name)
    The Avatar Trilogy
    Continue with Drizzt

the reason for throwing the Avatar Trilogy in between all the Drizzt books is because it explains some of the Magic problems that go on in the continuing Drizzt books although the timelines don't exactly match?? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.