1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who are you?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by joacqin, Apr 5, 2004.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Where are you on the political scale? Take the test

That test is quite enlightening if not perfect in placing ones opinion on a scale. You should also check out the additional info on the page about where the presidential candidates are and politicians throughout history.

My placement is: Economic Left/Right: -1.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.77

Thus I am a slightly left leaning screaming libertarian by American standards. Seems about right. I seem to be quite alone on my spot. No world leaders have as of yet shared my opinions.

[ April 05, 2004, 20:30: Message edited by: joacqin ]

2. Lady Luthien Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yeay!

Economic Left/Right: -3.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

I'm around the same spot as Gandhi, Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama, the only people I admire in all these charts !

Sounds pretty accurate to me :D !

3. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Owhoy! Seems I'm up there with nice guys: Stalin and Saddam. :D :rolleyes: :cool:

Gosh, like time I took that very test (as it has ben posted on SP before iirc) I was closer to Gandi, what the hell happened?

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Are you sure this very same test have been posted before? I know there have been other tests but I dont recollect this one. I might be wrong though.

5. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Economic Left/Right: -6.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Heh, I'm Gandhi/Mandela! :D
    Seems ok to me! :D

It's about American problems, but it seems it has good generalization skills.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Economic Left/Right: -3.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

More left than I thought, but not totally inaccurate. Looks like I come fairly close to toeing the line here. Not sure how accurate the test is, but yeah - pretty much my politically I guess. Very interesting.

Freakishly close to Gandhi...

7. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I am still a misfit all alone in nowhere land.

Economic Left/Right: 3.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28

Yes, it was.

once

8. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Seems it's the same test all right. Funny I came from a leftist libertarian to an iron-fisted dictator in just a couple of months.

What video games do to people...

9. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Economic Left/Right: -2.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

That being said, I thought it was a *terribly* written test, and inherently biased toward the libertarian left. Terms such as "society", "market", "globalization", and "multinational corporation" were generally either unclear or employed as jargon. Throughout the test, I felt I could answer one way or another based on how I interpreted these poorly defined terms. For example, there are many different ways to answer the question about whether civilization is defined by having those who command and those who obey; in my opinion this question is so undefined as to be meaningless. And the attempt to place historical figures on the compass was particularly lame, especially in identifying the "diverse professional team" that developed it. Whenever someone gives you a bunch of questionable numbers, and then claims "professionalism" to back themselves up.

As a lefty, who saw this test as coming from lefties, I am again dismayed at the sloppiness of what often passes for thinking on the left. Dammit, there need to be more people on the left who understand economics...

Not to say it wasn't a fun test to take... :)

10. joacqin

Media:
    Darn it! It snuck past me while I was abroad.

What I find the most interesting on that site though is that I think many people are surprised at their results or dont agree with them. If I had taken it a few years ago I dont think I would be overly happy with the results. I also find it interesting to check out the placement of the presidential candidates for the US election. Looking at that I find it amazing that most of the candidates can be riled up against each other as they are more or less all in a very small area of the compass. As a foreign observer I think US politics really could use a couple of third, fourth and even fifth party candidates but alas that seems to be impossible.

Bion, everything is biased, one way or another. Read their faq it might explain their stance a little bit more. I atleast got parts of my misgivings adressed by reading it.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wow.

I am

Economic Left/Right: 0.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.26

In other words, smack bang in the middle. I'm not even sure who that makes me similar to.

12. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Economic Left/Right: -2.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.92

Missed dead center by a couple of clicks one way, and missed Gandhi by a couple of clicks in the other direction. hmmm...

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Economic Left/Right: 3.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.46

I was a little surprised as I thought my social number would be negative. I guess my pro-spanking and death penalty pushed me over the edge.

14. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hrmpf.
    Economic Left/Right: -5,75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3,95

I'm pretty much in bed with Gandhi.
    *shudders* :D

15. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

If I told you where I landed, you liberal folk won't wanna talk to me.

[edit] bad questions, btw...looks like the poll doesn't know the difference between a Conservative Libertarian and a Lawless Despot...questions obviously written by someone with a Liberal bend

16. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Econ 5.12
    Soc -1.03

Not suprised by the Econ number, but am suprised by the Soc number, I really get along best with Libertarians, but I don't buy into the entire deregulate everthing and businesses will not abuse people. I guess my desire for some gov't oversite pushed me up.

17. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Economic Left/Right: -7.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.87

18. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

After looking at the site and faq, I am even more convinced of the meaninglessness of this test. Furthermore, I think the biases of the test-writers would be exposed quite obviously if the actual historical/political figures took the test, as opposed to the "diverse professionals" who supposedly impersonated them to get their results. One quick example: the survey had about 20 questions on economy and globalization for every one on acceptance of lifestyle (homosexuality, etc.) If this were simply reversed the Dalai Lama (who doesn't approve of homosexuality) would seem far less libertarian/left than Tony Blair.

If the test actually tests anything, it might be tolerance for anti-globalization rhetoric (which, as I tested libertarian/left, must be somewhat high for me...)

But I resent the following things about the test: 1) the inability to tease out a *cautious* pro-globalization stance; 2) the selection of answers to questions on the behalf of historical figures by "diverse professionals" in a way that seemingly proves that all comtemporary western politicians are authoritarian rightists, while most of those who take the test are expected to be libertarian leftists who "fight the power" like Gandhi or the DL (and what a stupid and self-defeating idea this has been for the contemporary left!); 3) any left-right axis (especially one that puts Stalin far-left!) is IMO deeply politically naive; 4) I could go on and on...

Of course, not that it wasn't fun to take the test...

19. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.74

20. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Economic left/right: 6.50
    Social libertarian/authoritarian: 3.69

This test must be skewed - those figures are WAY too low.

Time to oil that iron fist!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.