1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why Do We Play Baldur's Gate 2?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by NAZAR, Jul 20, 2001.

1. NAZAR Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I dont think Such a question has been asked. But what Dtives us to play this Great Game. Is it the story or the BG Saga is it the Graphics or The Gamplay. Is it Possible that there is A FORCE that Drives us to Play this to Wonderfully Awsomme Game.

Nazar 17th LEVEL Undead Hunter.

2. Killer Dwarf Gems: 3/31

I play BG and BG2 due to the sad fact that my friends are all scattered across the country and we cant play the pen and paper game anymore L . Don’t get me wrong the game is the best pc resonation of the AD&D yet. But it lacks the true rollplaying that I really like but it’s a great runner-up. I cant wait until Neverwinter Nights comes out that should be even better than BG2 (I hope).

Killer Dwarf
    The Baby Killing Paladin

3. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I usually find fantasy games annoying (ok, so I had a protracted fling with Diablo), but BG2 is just amazing. The random dialogue is sometimes annoying (although Jan and Minsc crack me up), but the actual interaction among party members is entertaining. I'm trying to hunt down the talking sword just so I can hear it talking with Minsc.

And while the number of quests is overwhelming, I like the fact that there's an overall story line that involves more than just destroying monsters. And it's not just "find a key to unlock the next door in the dungeon."

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I played it just because I was deceived to buy another Black Isle game full of bugs.
    What could I do? Dump it?
    Also, I got bored of it after I finished it twice.

But, now, I'm playing it for the third time just for one single reason:
    To be able to answer questions on the boards.
    You see, I deleted all previous saves...

Lately, I started to give a damn for ToB. If I buy it, it will be strictly for research reasons. I suspect I'll enjoy it. Unless it is bug free.

5. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you really hate the game so much, why even answer questions about it when they are people who enjoy the game and have played it through many times, therefore being able to give better answers?

Anyway, I play it because I've got nothing better to do... And I've grown bored with all my other games *patiently awaits NWN and PoR*

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Volar, you're joking.

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

there is a force that lets you play every game till you tire of it. And I got tired of bg2 long time ago, kinda just waiting for ToB so I can get the rest of the story

8. Neitsabes-Naej Gems: 3/31

I' finished it twice (archer, and evil barbarian)....
    Played many many many other classes but not through though..
    Stopped play for 2 or 3 months (red alert2 period of time)

Then I restarted to play at BG1. Been through with an evil fighter. I import it
    in BG2 as a Kensai and finished it. Then finished ToB with it.

Then I restarted with a Ranger in BG1. Finished it. Import my ranger as a stalker in BG2 and I'm playing that game....Once I'll be through BG2, I'll finished Tob once again with my Stalker....

Well We could say that I play that game 'cause I'm a maniac.

The only game I played that much was Fallout 1 and 2....

I've heard that Torn will be based on Fallout mode of character creation/evolution....Can wait too see this and became an insane maniac...

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Because it is fun.

10. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Extremist, what are you doing to the game to get so many bugs that it isn't easily playable? My first time through I didn't hit one bug once. I even finished the Jaheira romance without having to do anything weird. It was only when I started playing very carefully looking for every little thing in the game that I occasionally started hitting things that didn't appear when/where they should.

I've found this an eminently playable, fun game. It's hard to make a game that has enough in it that lots of different people can pursue the parts they like best, while at the same time giving it a compelling main storyline. I thought BGII has done an excellent job at it.

I play it primarily for fun and relaxation, by the way, but also because I'm interested in it from a game design POV, and also because it makes my day when some new interaction happens with one of my NPCs. (-: I really enjoy all these NPCs (well, maybe not Jan, but everyone else), and I like learning new little facets of their personalities.

11. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Extremist's hex editing has totally messed up his copy :p

And I might have been joking, then again, maybe not. I got chaotic neutral on two different alignment tests and people usually don't understand my actions so draw your own conclusions. *runs off into the shadows cackling like a maniac* :p

Oh yeah, waiting for PoR and NWN might be a bit hasty when I don't even have ToB yet. Good country this is, but I'll not say any good comments about any new products coming on the market.

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Volar, I never let my hex editing destroy anything. Except when I actually left opened that bloody store with Imprisonment scroll inside... :mad:
    And that wasn't about hex editing, but about my memory.

On tests I get chaotic good. Does it matter? No. Who cares? Noone.

13. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Cos Im a big fan of Ad&d, esp the pen'n'paper version, so BG/BGII A)keep me familiar with the way things go in the forgotten realms B)Give me inspiration and C)The games just so damned good anyway (appartfrom the occasional glitch in the system.

14. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

the only other game I've spent this much time with is Daggerfall, so take it from someone who knows, BG1 and 2 are practically bug free :))

15. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Alignment tests...? where can I find one? I like BG2 (my first D&d game) because it is such a GREAT change from Final Fantasy (which completely linear, no sub-quests, every secret known, you end up w/9999 HP). Here there are character-specific quests, you get to MAKE your own character (*gasp*), choose DIFFERENT PATHS THROUGH THE GAME... well, to go from FF into that is just amazing. ^_^ Call me a rookie if you have to....

[There's an alignment test here - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited July 22, 2001).]

16. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

yeah, but I think the FF games have a way superior storyline... some of the characters are way better too. I guess those are the advantages you get when sacrificing some of the player's freedom.

aaaand back to the topic.

17. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The major problem comes after spending several hundred hours playing it. It does get boring.

I have paused for 2 months because of my exams and because I wanted to do another run through JA2+UB, but now I have ToB and I am giving it another run through.

18. Why we play it ? I play it for: The story, The Gameplay and the music (yeah im an idiot)

19. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Shit! i have wasted too much time on SoA...But without ToB, maybe i should continue...

20. MrSerious Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

oh, the music, that's actually a good reason. I'm playing deus ex right now, and it has the most mind-numbing, poorly produced music I've heard from a video game in a long time. Its not bad, just repetetive and thin-sounding. BG has top-notch music.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.