1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wish Discussion

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by AvaLance204, Aug 28, 2001.

1. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the Wish spell and its varied effects. To start off the topic, I'd like to add my two cents about one of the effects:

Double-Length Timestop and Improved Alacrity
    Has anyone else noticed that this spell doesn't really use Improved Alacrity? Instead, it uses a specialized version that modifies the casting time of every spell cast in the duration to instantaneous. Therefore, by combining this with the real High-Level Ability, Improved Alacrity, one can fire off any spell instantly in rapid succession. An excellent strategy for bosses, and worth it; though some bosses are immune to Timestop (Demogorgon, Amelyssan, The Ravager, etc...).

2. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A powerful spell if you're lucky, but I rarely memorise it. I prefer Timestop, Improved Alacrity, Summon Planetar and Dragon's Breath. But Wish is still a good spell.

3. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

i prefer improved alacrity and time stop while wearing the robe of vecna to speed the first spells up, followed by6 x 5 magic missiles and a few flame arrow :)

4. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

A nice strategy, but I prefer taking my chances with the Wish. More often than not, I've gotten it when I need it, and it isn't hard in that space of time to cast every spell you have if you cast Improved Alacrity to erase the wait time.

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Doesn't Potion of Insight (Wis=18) work with Wish?
    I had Edwin (normal Wis=10) use that potion and he got four bad and one mediocre choice with a Wish spell.

6. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

That happens to me a lot. In fact, I think I had to Abi-Dalzim everyone in the area (not ENTIRELY a bad thing, but I didn't have Protection from Magical Energy on) for lack of a better effect.

7. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Of course you can always have someone else go talk to the Dao as well. For instance, my Berserker/Cleric dc has a Wis of 20, so he can just run over there and talk to him. Haven't tried it yet, but it's doable.

8. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Eh...works well with Limited Wish, but my Sorcerer has 20 Wisdom anyway. Also, the dialog cursor doesn't appear over the Dao summoned with Wish, thus meaning you can't have someone else talk to him.

9. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

kevlar0101, how does your machine hold up to all those magic missiles on screen at once? I have a pretty high-end machine, and when in a timestop / improved alacrity spell-fest, everything is fine until I start tossing about magic missiles, then things get jumpy. I can have cast just about every other spell available to me, and everything is still cool... just magic missle that's the annoyance...

10. Caine Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Wish rules once it got my entire partys stats at twenty five then cast it again he he awsome results

11. ikzelion Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was just a tad disappointed with the wish spell.

I suppose they did a pretty good job of it, but shouldn't you be able to wish back chunked party members? I think that might have been cool.

I gave a scroll of wish to Sarevok before the end, and he told me he was going to head off to the wise man of the mountain to work for a few months or as long as it takes to correctly formulate the wish in order to bring back his love Tamoko. He told me he really did love her and that it was only the blood of Bhaal that made him kill her as she tried bravely to dissuade him from his suicidal and self destructive course bent on wanton bloodshed. He realizes now that even if his half brother hadn't stopped him, the harpers if not Elminster himself surely would have.

Anyway, he wants to patch things up and he hopes bringing her back to life through a wish spell will be a good start. Then they can get busy making the rugrats and he will find his immortality in the honor his children bring to his name.

I just wish that he didn't have to get the wise man of the mountain to word the wish. If I could have done it, I would have and then put that hot babe in my party. I might even have had to take Sarevok out and keep her for myself.

Sigh... Oh well.

12. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

I was also fairly disappointed. You're supposed to be able to wish for anything you want! (though you won't always get it). But no, BI only let you have 5 options per spell.

13. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Applying "anything you want" would be a programming nightmare, let's be realistic.

14. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31

IMHO: Dragons breath is a bit overpowered. I use it to kill a large group within 1-2 hits with this spell, which makes it kinda easy. I killed all of grominiers cronies by shooting 2 of these off

15. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Well, the Wish spell is supposed to be able to duplicate lower-level spells, and it doesn't, but at least they should've given you more than five options...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.