1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizard, bard problem

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Taz, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Taz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

ive lost my Manual :S. Cant remember what the Difference are between The feats :

Spell Focus - Transmution

Spell Focus - Enchantment

Spell Focus - Necromancy

Spell Focus - Evocation

Spell Focus - Penetration = Is this for a for example a Magic Missile to Penetrate.

Help!
    -------
    And what is the best class for a Wizard.

Ive heard that Drow is the best because of the high lvl imunity and the +2 to dex,int and(cha)and +2 to some other checks, and take 1 lvl of roque to make A VERY good Wizard + he can make a great job replacing the Rouge.

But :

1. Will the -2 lvl behind others make him a weak wizard?

2. Is it stupid to take 1 lvl of roque ?

3. will it be better to take a Thiefling or Human instead.

4. And almost the same question, what will be best a Bard Aasimar , Human or a Drow, or is the drow class more for Wizards.

[ February 17, 2003, 22:30: Message edited by: Taz ]

2. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ok, let's start off sweet and simple. Those feats with evocation, necromancy and whatnot basically power up certain spells. Let's say that you have a feat in Spell Focus: Evocation, that means that all of your evocation spells will do more damage, like Magic Missile and Fireball. With me so far?

Now, for the feat Spell Penetration, that feat allows the caster's spells to be less resisted. It's for like if a target has to make a saving throw against an effect spell, a feat in Spell Penetration will make the target less likely to save against the damage.

The best class for a wizard? Heh, that's more of a judgement call there. A lot say a drow's the best, but I didn't get one because of the level penalty and they're pictures are ugly! However, it shouldn't make him a weak wizard, personally, I have a dedicated rogue, so that question's null and void on me, and to take a tiefling is a judgement call. It's all up to you on how you want to create your party.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

ive lost my Manual :S. Cant remember what the Difference are between The feats :

There's an ingame description for each and every feat. It's on the left of the screen where you select feats when leveling.

Spell Focus - Transmution
    Spell Focus - Enchantment
    Spell Focus - Necromancy
    Spell Focus - Evocation

Add +2 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from this school of magic. Adding another featpoint adds another +2.

Spell Focus - Penetration = Is this for a for example a Magic Missile to Penetrate.

+2 to bonus to caster level checks to beat a creature's spell resistance. Rank 2 is called "Greater Spell Penetration" It grants a +4 bonus to caster level checks to beat a creature's spell resistance.

And what is the best class for a Wizard.

By the way you go on I think you mean race.

Ive heard that Drow is the best because of the high lvl imunity and the +2 to dex,int and(cha)and +2 to some other checks, and take 1 lvl of roque to make A VERY good Wizard + he can make a great job replacing the Rouge.

Best? In terms of powergaming, perhaps, though a Tielfing also gets the DEX and INT bonus, and is considered only ECL+1 instead of +2 like the drow is. Also, Tieflings don't get a penalty on their saving throws when being outside during daytime. Then again, a Drow receives Spellresistance of 11+Characterlevel. Look what you find best.

But :

1. Will the -2 lvl behind others make him a weak wizard?

No. He'll have lower levels but a +2 on INT will compensate for that, with difficulty checks and number of spells

2. Is it stupid to take 1 lvl of roque ?

First of all, it's rogue. Second, you can take one level to gain the rogue's bonusses, yes. This is a very viable option which gets you lots of skillpoints.

3. will it be better to take a Thiefling instead.

I listed the advantages and disadvantages of both races above. Do the math yourself.

4. And almost the same question, what will be best a Bard Aasimar or a Drow, or is the drow class more for Wizards.

I think both Aasimar and Drow would do a good job, though a drow Bard seems very off. ;) Roleplayingwise speaking of course. :) Perhaps drow is a little better because of the +2 DEX. *shrug* they both get a +2 to CHA, that's what matters no? Drow get more bonusses to DEX and INT, as well as Spellresistance, but they pay for it with an ECL +2 as well as a Savingthrow penalty when outside during daytime.

[ February 17, 2003, 22:43: Message edited by: Faragon ]

4. Taz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Maybe a stupid question :S.

The 2 lvl penalty Drow get, does it mean that they only can reach lvl 28, If not then Drow is totally Superior, yes of course you have to play them longer but Still :) , the -1 penalty they get in direct sunligt is almost unoticable because og the other bonusses a Drow has :) .
    And wont the -2 to constitution make him a little worse than a Thifling Wizard.

[ February 17, 2003, 22:54: Message edited by: Taz ]

5. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

drow for wizard....

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Spell Focus: Your spells with the chosen school are more potent then normal. See list on SP's tips/trick/hints to see what spells belong to what school. (This is really what the manual sais, it supports SP!)
    Benefit: Add +2 to DC for all ST's against the spells from the chosen school of magic.

Spell Penetration: Your spells are more potent, breaking through spellresistance more readily than normal.
    Benefit: You get +2 to caster level checks to beat creature's spell resistance.

Drow would be a good choice indeed. You want high dex and high int for a mage and you can dual class if you want to.
    1)The ECL +2 is not a very bad thing since you get the high level spells very very late.
    2) Dunno exactly. 1 or 2 levels in rogue (what I read on SP) seems not to be stupid if you want some thieving skill in your party for the usual snares and locks you will face.
    3) If you want a pure wizard, stick with the Drow. If you want to multi it to thief you could choose a Tiefling as well. Rather then a human, they dont have the advantages you want as a wizard.
    4) Never played a Bard, but I think I would rather hear the song of a half-celestial than some sort of mutant semi-evil subterranean dark-elf.

edit: Tss! When I started this post, there was no reply yet. I should learn to type faster, eat less when posting, and something with the bathroom...

[ February 17, 2003, 23:02: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.