1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

You know you're an old gamer when:

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Killer Dwarf, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Killer Dwarf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Let me start the ball rolling:

Plugging you TV into you computer wasn't an option on your video card but the only way to use it.

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

...When you remember thinking Atari's "Adventure" was the best fantasy game you'd ever see ... then being blown away when "Joust" was released.

...if you still have eye strain from playing hours of Zork on "Verbose" mode

...if you had a 72nd level Warrior playing through Bard's Tale for the 8th time

Gosh I'm ols ...

3. Gorsh, the first game I ever played was King's Quest Five - that's how tiddly I am.

4. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] ...you reply to this topic *groan* :heh: seriously...

you know you're an old gamer when: you're suprised you can't see individual pixels on the screen. :square:

edit (after visiting site below): wow ;)

[This message has been edited by the god (edited March 04, 2002).]

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

When you read articles and letters in games magazines singing the praises of retro gaming and true gameplay; and then you have to resist the urge to write a reply explaining that it's all very well for these youngsters but we got bored of those type of games 20 plus years ago.

PS also when you decide to start your own site called www.maturegamer.net but have to close it due to lack of interest.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited March 04, 2002).]

6. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You know your an old gamer when you can remember there not being any computer games at all. (Hell, I can remember when there weren't any PC's)

And for that matter, I can remember watching the Appolo 11 Moon Landing on TV. Neil Armstrong was my Hero.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited March 04, 2002).]

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Right, when you had to use pencil, paper, and dice to game.

Then when you loaded the game from a tape player plugged into your system.

First computer games that I played (mostly on a TRS-80): Zork, Deathmaze 2000, Taipei, Temple of Apshai.

8. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

When you can name the Atari launch titles.

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Slith ... name them ;)

10. sorvo Guest

You played Pong on a B&W TV;)

11. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

ok, just a quick look to check if I am indeed an 'old gamer'

1) Plugging you TV into you computer wasn't an option on your video card but the only way to use it. - yep bless my old ZX81

2) ...When you remember thinking Atari's "Adventure" was the best fantasy game you'd ever see ... - yep it was the only one I'd ever seen at the time or am I thinking of adventure Island on a cartridge for my Vic20 - my memory is going

2b)then being blown away when "Joust" was released. - nope don't remember that one.

2c)...if you still have eye strain from playing hours of Zork on "Verbose" mode - nope ditto.

2d)...if you had a 72nd level Warrior playing through Bard's Tale for the 8th time - hmm I remember being tempted but this came out during my dark time when I had decided to go back to Uni and the resulting massive pay drop meant I had no computer for a few years :(

3) when: you're suprised you can't see individual pixels on the screen. - yep, I know what you mean, and as for it all being in colour....

4) You know your an old gamer when you can remember there not being any computer games at all. (Hell, I can remember when there weren't any PC's) - yep, in fact I remember the original PC coming out and how we all laughed at how crap and overpriced it was.

5) Remember watching the Appolo 11 Moon Landing on TV - nah, I was still a little young for that. I vaguely remember the excitement around at the time but not the actually TV footage. For Brits, I can still remember pre-decimal currency.

6) Right, when you had to use pencil, paper, and dice to game. - yep though I didn't really get into P&P until much later.

7) Then when you loaded the game from a tape player plugged into your system. - yep or typed it in manually from a magazine programme listing. What fun that was on the ZX81 'keyboard'

8) When you can name the Atari launch titles. - nah, never had an Atari I only managed to get a computer because of it's 'educational value' ;)

9) Pong on a B&W TV - yep, despite what I just said above, my dad bought us some cheap pong type console before we had a computer. It wasn't an Atari, maybe a Biatone or something like that. It played Pong versions of Tennis, Squash and Football (soccer).

Hmmmmm I think I qualify then :)

12. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Loading the C64emulator on my 1,2 Ghz AMD. Load the game `Defender of the crown` (You know, Load 8,2,1, remember ????)
    And waiting and waiting and after 2 minutes of waiting realizing you also had to type the command `RUN`.

My god, I felt old ! (But had a heck of a time playing the darn game).

You also know you´re and old ´gamer´ when you´ve awaited the sequel of Fellowship of the Ring, THE BOOK that is!
    (BTW I do not fall into this category)

13. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] .... You wondered about writing a walkthrough to Ghost'n Goblin.

14. PowerPuff Guest

...when you at some point found the "turbo" button on your 386 very useful...

15. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Wow. If 386 makes you old, then I am ancient. My first computer (circa 1984) was a DEC Rainbow. Prior to that, I played on TRS-80's at my high school.

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When you remember a block box with cartridge games and a big joystick with many buttons on it. Asteroids were the default game. To get colour you put a coloured plastic sheet before the screen. I think it was called Vector X or something.

17. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] ...when you still cant get out of the habit of typing CH."EVIL" (anyone remember the BBC Micro classic Temple of Evil? Didnt think so. I always filled my pants when I met a cockatrice before I got the mirror shield spell :aaa: )

18. Stereophobia Guest

Heh i owned both a binatone and the good ol' ZX Sinclare Spectrum 48k it had a pallet of 10 colours and you had to have your own tape deck to load the games, needless to say both were played on a B&W TV

19. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

... When your friends used to give you new games by giving you a page of BASIC instructions to type into your computer. Of course, once you'd done so, you could save them on audiocassette since there was an ancient Blaupunkt tape recorder also connected to your "computer" and your TV.

[Whoops- just realised Slappy caught this one already. Hey, I had a Spectrum too!]

[This message has been edited by Sprite (edited March 10, 2002).]

20. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

Hand me my cane and just put me in the corner....and where're my teeth?

When the first computer games you remember consisted of single pixel squares on a mono-chrome screen (green not amber :) ). Frogger on apple's PET.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.