1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your favorite memories in sports

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Beren, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Share whatever your best memories in sports were.

Mine, when the Oilers finally figured out how to solve Billy Smith and won their first Stanley Cup in 1984. Go Wayne Go:

Then in 1988, Gretzky again blowing the puck clean over Vernon's glove in playoffs overtime. I can still remember that like it was yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

When New Zealand beat Australia in the opening match of the 1992 Cricket World Cup.

3. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

1.The 1994 and 1995 semi-finals of Euroleague final-four (it was called differently back then, something like European Basketball Champion's cup), where we kicked the ass of our eternal enemy.

2. Dellas' goal in 2004 EC semi-final against Czech Republic.

3. The 2009 Greek cup final against AEK. Being 2-0 down after the first half, we managed to equalize , AEK scored a 3rd goal at the 90' and Mat Derbyshire scored the equalizer at 95' leading the game to the extra time. We scored again with Galleti but he was sent out with a second yellow card and few minutes later our central defender was sent out with red card and AEK manages to equalize at 117' sending the final to penalty kicks, where after 32 penalties (iirc), we won the cup

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's easy - it's also my first strong sports memory. 1980, Lake Placid, USA 4, USSR 3. I was 6 years old.

The Great Snook likes this.
  5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hagler vs. Hearns, the ref was going to stop the fight, as Hagler had a nasty cut above his eye. Hagler's training talked the ref into one more round and Hagler came out and knocked him out. Simply awesome.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The New England Patriots kicking a field goal with time expiring to win their first Superbowl.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    My small town team who were pretty much part-timers reaching the semi-finals of the FA Cup in 1997. That's part of the wonder of that competition that it allows such a thing to happen. We should have won too, but were robbed by a terrible refereeing decision. For such a small side to go so far in a national competition with all the big boys was unprecedented and hasn't happened before, or since.

See: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/football-league-blog/2010/aug/10/chesterfield-middlesbrough-1997-fa-cup

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    That was 38 years ago. You must be older than I thought to remember that.

10. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1992 when Denmark won the European Football Championship. It's one of my earliest memories. I still remember sitting in the living room with my brother and sister singing "Deutschland, Deutschland alles ist vorbei" :).

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

April 8th, 1974. I was just shy of 6 months old. T2 = Greybeard.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was 12 -- it was my first year of really following baseball. During spring training that year I met Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Bobby Bonds, Gene Tenace, Reggie Jackson and who knows how many others.

I also saw a very ugly side of the home run race.

I don't have a beard.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I thought Hank finished with 755. Or are you saying the "moment" was when he broke Babe's record of 714.

You know, it's strange, but with baseball - much more than any other sport - being such a numbers game, fans remember all the signifcant ones. I think that's the part about Bonds' record that is most damning. I don't - nor do I know anyone who does - remember how many home runs Bonds finished with.

14. T2Bruno

Media:
    The thread is about favorite memories -- I doubt anyone remembers Hank's last home run that wasn't in the ball park. There was a seven month build up to 715; there were songs, documentaries, rallies (both supportive and ugly), and it was talked about nearly every day.

Through it all Henry Aaron was dignified and a real gentleman -- that was deeply impressive -- so much ugliness was sent his way (racist comments, death threats, etc.) and he pressed on with integrity.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You see, that's the difference of being old enough to remember it. Technically, I was born at the time Aaron broke Ruth's record, but I was less than a year old, so I have no memory of the event. So while I can appreciate the accomplishment, I cannot know of all the buildup that led up to it, although I can imagine the intensity. Not only was baseball the most popular US sport at the time, but he was breaking the record of a Pantheon-like figure in Ruth.

16. Blades of Vanatar

Hehe... Turning 50 are we?

That's awesome stuff there T2. At that time, Baseball was ending it's streak of greatness, you're lucky to have met those stars. That group was a west coast game. Did you see Vida Blue and Catfish as well? I would of loved to have met a Mays/Mantle/Aaron iconic-type. You never forget those moments.

17. T2Bruno

Media:
    I'm certain I saw others but those are the clear memories (The A's were facing the Cubs in Mesa, so I'm sure I saw Santo and Banks as well).

Another good memory was the first home run I ever saw: AAA Phoenix Giants in 1971 when a big 1st baseman hit a line shot over the right field fence -- the ball might have gotten 25' off the ground; as they say "it got out of there in a hurry." Dave Kingman was called up to San Francisco a month later.

Looking back it must have been 1972 that I saw Mays and company.

18. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

First Finnish ice hockey championship in 1994. Nothing else really comes even close. Finland won it again this year and it was amazing and all but the first time is always the one you'll remember the longest.

19. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What is a 715, and how the hell does everybody here know what it actually refers to?

20. T2Bruno

Media:
    Henry Aaron hitting his 715th home run (breaking Babe Ruth's career home run mark of 714) was simply the biggest moment in sports in United States history. Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak would probably be next on the list, followed by Roger Maris hitting 61 home runs in a season. The home run race of Sosa/MacGuire doesn't even rank in the top ten.

Some more modern events (Miracle on Ice, Women's Gold in Soccer, Thrilla and Manilla, etc.) would be below those three baseball moments.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.