1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Favorite Non-Fantasy Book

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Falstaff, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

[​IMG] This is pretty basic - what is your favorite non-fantasy book out there?? (Yes, there is something more than that one little section of the bookstore). Note that I am not including sci-fi in with fantasy - so feel free - we are assuming that everyone in the world loves LOTR, of course (myself included)

My personal favorites are:
    John Steinbeck's East of Eden
    Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms
    Anything by Michael Chrichton
    Humphrey Carpenter's Tolkien: A Biography

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well it is kinda fantasy but also not, it would be a judgement call

Jurassic park the book is really great. Intelligent writing and the movie pales in comparrison.

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Good question ...

"Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara. Great historical fiction on teh Civil War.

"Desiring God" by John Piper. If you think Christianity is a lame religion that will make life boring and stale ... you've got another thing coming!

"The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis. Take a bus ride from Purgatory to Heaven, see the sights and learn some wisdom!

Also by Lewis "The Screwtape Letters"

Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor and Rainbow Six (as well as most of his other books) (btw ... don't watch the movies and think the books are at all that simple!)

------
    G.K. Chesterton was once asked this question, but the interviewer inquired, "If you were stranded on a desert island, what one book would you want to have with you?"

Chesterton replied, "Thompson's Manual on Ship Building" :shake:

4. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

oh a hard question! erm... lets see...
    Kafka, take your pick which title. Almost fantasy sometimes, (or atleast almost otherworldly)

C.S. Lewis, Screwtape letters & great divorce & mere christianity.

Roald Dahl. everything

Any myth or book containing myth.

Jerry kozinsky (or something like that) true he's rather vulgar, but his novel being there is very impressive!

Any distopia (Huxley, orwell, Coetzee)

there are way too many good books around.

but the best of all Marten Toonder (dutch writer)

5. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hmm, so many non-fantasy books... Well, I like Killer Angels, and the other books in that trilogy (have you read those as well Mathetais?)
    I'm also in to books about military history (read a book on World War I by John Kegon (doubt I spelled that right) and another good book I read was an analysis of Lt. Gen. Fred Franks' strategy during Desert Storm (he was a corps commander at that time.))
    Finally, I'm a big Frank Herbert fan (where do you think I got the name "Atreides?")

6. Falstaff

Lewis is great - I really like the Screwtape Letters.

I forgot to mention James A. Michener - The Covenant was an awesome book. He is really good at historical fiction!

7. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Jack Higgins - The eagle has landed
    George Orwell - 1984
    Nikos Kazantzakis - Freedom or death
    Ken Follet - The pillars of earth
    Leon Tolstoy - War and peace
    Clive Barker - Weaveworld
    Daniel Keys Moran - The ring
    Jack London - Call of the wild

[ October 29, 2002, 19:00: Message edited by: BOC ]

8. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

BOC did you actually read War and Peace? "faints"

Probably i should read it too heavy Literature and all, but everytime I see it standing there in the library (the bookcase sagging due to weight ;) ) I think "nah perhaps next time"

So do enlighten me. is it any good? and more important why should I read it?

9. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I like all the sharpe books by bernard cromwell. Rainbow six was good, and so was all the bond books

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I've only read Killer Angels ... and I want to read the others. Gods & Generals, et al look great.

I read Weaveworld, haunted me for years. Now that I'm a sales professional, I'd love to have that jacket ;) :evil: j/k

Bernard Cornwell is great. I haven't read the Sharpe books, but the Warlord Trilogy and the Archer's Tale are great (kinda fantasy, but more historical)

Right now I'm reading my first Stephan Ambrose book, "Undaunted Courage" about the life and explorations of Meriweather Lewis (the Lewis in "Lewis and Clark") ... great book. Next I want to buy (or rent ;) ) Band of Brothers.

Glad to see so many C.S. Lewis fans out here :)

11. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Aegron, I read it almost ten years ago (maybe more)and it's a very good book.Why you should read it? It describes a very interesting era and, as far as I know, it is considered to be a masterpiece of literature. I can't think of another reason.

12. Falstaff

If you haven't yet, you all should read Timeline by Michael Chrichton - an interesting mix of historical fiction and sci-fi.

13. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I second that, Timeline was fantastic. As for my personal favourites:

George Orwell - 1984
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
    H.G. Wells - A Modern Utopia
    Ayn Rand - Anthem
    Charles Bukowski - Septuagenarian Stew
    Anything by Douglas Coupland or Tom Robbins

I just finished Clive Barker's Weaveworld. While it doesn't rank among my favourties, it is a good book and definitely worth reading.

[edit]
    Mathetais: You sure you want that jacket? Remember what it did to Cal when Uriel looked into it? :p
    [/edit]

[ October 31, 2002, 00:46: Message edited by: JohnnyRTFM ]

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

JohnnyRTFM ... true, but it would still be kinda cool ... I'd just have to be careful and use my powers only for good. (The salesguy in the book was such a slime-ball ... reminds me of my former boss)

-----

Saving Tal some time here ... "MAKE SURE TO BUY ALL BOOKS THROUGH SORCERER'S PLACE. IT HELPS KEEP THE SITE RUNNING!" hehe, couldn't resist.

----

Anyone read Business Books?

Built to Last by Jim Collins is great. The sequal is "Good to Great" which I'm reading now, but isn't as good.

"The Heart of an Executive" is a brilliant book. The author Richard D. Phillips is an MBA and an MDiv, the book takes the life of King David (the giant killer) and uses his successes and failures to guide the development of a leader's heart and mind.

15. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

The best book I read recently was (in a rough title translation) "Essay about blindness' by Jose Saramago (nobel prize winner), another book I enjoyed a lot was "the incredible adventures of Kavalier & Clay" by Michael Chabon (I think this is his name). There is also a book of short tales called (again in a rough translation) "laughable loves" by Milan Kundera wich is great, very ironic sense of humor, I recommend it to anyone who likes this kind of stuff (literature). And, if anyone likes samurais and this sort of stuff, there's a REALLY good book (a classic) called "Musashi", if you like oriental culture and samurais then you must read it (it takes some courage though, it's about 1800 pages long).

[ October 31, 2002, 16:03: Message edited by: MauricioEiji ]

16. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The only books I can think of off the top of my head a the moment are:

Shogun by James Clavell
    The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
    Dune by Frank Herbert

All of those are really great books; I've read them all several times and enjoyed them a lot.

17. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My favorite non fantasy books are:
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
    The Cornish Trilogy by Robertson Davies

18. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

But I have so many!

Dosteovsky- Crime and Punishment
    Susan Kay- Phantom
    Stephen King- The eye of the Dragon (which is sorta, but not quite fantasy ~^_^~)
    Anything Sherlock Holmes, especially the series by Laurie R. King

19. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I haven't read many non-fantasy books, but I think "A Clockwork Orange" is excellent. (Just the title is great, since "Orange" is invented slang and it means "human") It is a rather difficult read, unless you can get your hands on a Nadsat Dictionary. (Type "Nadsat" in almost any search engine and you should find a good dictionary)

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Too many to list but I enjoyed Crime and Punishment and as it is the most recent non-fantasy book I have read I might as well list it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.