1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2006 Ashes

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Stu, Aug 15, 2006.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Apparently the selecters are trying to keep Gilchrist, Hayden and Langer on for another year as well because they dont want the team to go to the dogs. They are also apparently close to retirement.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The game will be poorer for Warne's retirement. It's the end of a era and the decline of the latest cricket empire. Australia will take a lot of time to rebuilt when McGrath, Warne, Gilly, Langer, Hayden are gone. Let's see if someone else can step up to the plate. Probably India for me.

Other news, Steve Harmison has retired from One Day cricket. That was coming for some time, he's like Hoggard in that he doesn't like the white ball. Monty has been called up and Vaughan will likely play a part. Will be good to see him back,

3. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It wont be *that* bad - Stuart Clarke has proved himself as suitable McGrath replacement, Stuart McGill has never been that far behind Warne, Haddin's current form is probably better than pre-Perth Gilchrist form and Phil Jaques is more than competent as a opening batsman. Ok, this list isn't quite as good as the current lot and I'm yet to come up with another opening batsman, but Australia should be fine for some time yet.

It seems a bit on an odd time for Harmison to retire from one-dayers considering he hasn't played any for a while and there's still a couple of tests to go before that changes. I guess there are quite a few of the short games coming up (I think Australia has to wait 11 months until its next test)

4. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Well, the Brits copped a floggin today. Lets hope we can keep it up.

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    Depressing isn't it. All that hard work, and it is back to the drawing board.

I just hope than the Selectors do not panic when they get home. Essentially this is a good team, Oz are just better and have made full use of every small piece of luck that has come their way. England haven't. What would we give for Simon Jones?

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's the Shane Warne show out there at the moment. He'll probably score a century now, to complete the fairy tale.

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

What about those two LBW decisions turned down for Hoggard? That's as plum as it's gonna get. Seriously I don't know how Hayden gets away with all these LBW decisions to be honest.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oooh, Ponting and Hussey both gone! It's a miracle. Somebody in England has been praying to the right gods, because only mighty divine magic could have achieved the impossible feat of sending those two back to the pavillion cheaply.

But that Shane Warne century is still to come.....

9. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

I dunno about that century but I reckon Hayden, Symonds and Gilly will do their fair share of Brit Bashing to get our score up.

10. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Were making a good fight of it which seemed impossible after yesterday. I'm listening to the radio so I can't comment on Hoggard's lbw decision but Geoffrey Boycott did say 'a man with one eye would have given that out', :lol: 'nuff said. :p

11. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Yeah, those 2 lbw decisions for Hayden were pretty bad as well as that one against Symonds. Had those 2 actually been given out, it would be a completely different story at the moment but as it stands, England is copping a hiding from these 2 Queenslanders.

What a way for Roy to get his first test 100.

[ December 27, 2006, 06:38: Message edited by: TrueBlueAussie ]

12. Stu Gems: 20/31

This is pretty awesome - going from 5-84 and bringing up a 250 run partnership. Hayden's doing pretty well, he is already past his 4th highest test score (the first being 380).
    The umpires are being pretty critical of Freddy's field placements - are the English commentators saying the same things?
    As for Roy - that was (or is) a good knock. It looks like he may have finally grasped the concept of building an innings!

13. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

All good things must come to an end. But better things may come about with Gilly coming to the crease.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    Some flid has leeked our team plans out to the press. That's just bloody great. As if we needed more downers.

15. Harbourboy

The English team has plans? Is it something like "play well for one session, then play crap for two"? Good to see Mahmood get a couple of wickets. He's been a bit of a whipping boy so far, even though he looks as useful as any of the other bowlers.

EDIT: Here is what Matthew Hoggard says his plan is: "I just close my eyes and whang it down anyway, so there's not much planning there." Classic.

[ December 27, 2006, 21:41: Message edited by: Harbourboy ]

16. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

The Aussies are kicking ass. Still, thats pretty rough how the umpire is giving those calls for lbw out when the English probably had better ones when the Aussies were batting but were knocked back.

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    An innings defeat. What an embarrassment.

18. Harbourboy

Dearie me. On top of the world one year, and abysmal the following year. Hey, just like the English rugby team!

I'm looking forward to the tri-series. England and New Zealand should be equally hopeless, so should be a good match!

19. Stu Gems: 20/31

There was an article in today about England being perhaps the wort team in ashes history (provided they lose the last test and become the first team to loose 5-0 and suffer an innings defeat) - I though that to be a tad unfair given Australia's current form. I mean we have Ponting averaging at around 110 for the year, Hussy 85 odd, the greatest leg spinner of all time, the (statistically) best paceman of all time in McGrath, the best bowling partnership (Warne and McGrath), Clark bowling just as well as Shane and to top it off the fastest bowler in the world (in Shoab's absenece), even if he isn't bowling his best.

England's batsman specific plans: http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/england-investigating-plan-leak/2006/12/27/1166895361664.html
    btw it says Blue=Bails (this didn't read too clearly in the paper I had delivered)

[edit]I checked the scorecards for the 1922 tests and it appears that the author of the article that I read was completely incorrect. In the 1922 test England did loose a game by an innings (and 91 runs - slightly less than the 06 loss - but still an innings). Other losses were by 377 runs, 8 wickets, 9 wickets and 119 runs. This makes me think that, even if england does loose the last test, they will still have had lesser loosing margins than in '22

[ December 30, 2006, 15:44: Message edited by: Stu ]

20. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm just praying that we wont lose the last test, we have a pretty good record in Sydney so with a bit of luck we might get a result. We've played very poorly but I don't think we deserve the whitewash, if we did lose all 5 it could give English cricket a kick in the teeth after 2005 series which captivated the nation. Before we regained the Ashes not a lot of people I knew even liked cricket and that changed overnight, so I really don't want that to be undone.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.