1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2006 Ashes

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Stu, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Adelaide was the crusher. We dominated that test completely, then lost it on the last day. That really knocked the stuffing out of our players.

2. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yup if we'd have won that Australia would be scared of a repeat comeback the same as last year and everything could have been different. To be honest I don't think we have a hope in hell of avoiding the whitewash, when they play with confidence its almost impossible. And with it being McGrath and Warne's last Ashes match they arent going to 'relax' a little if you know what I mean, they'll want to go out with a bang.

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Bell and Peiterson are looking pretty strong out there, but it is only a matter time before the Aussies break though and clean them up.

4. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Warne said he felt England gave up the test in their first innings. He argued that by batting negatively for two days they killed a realistic chance of a win (as opposed to a draw) and showed everyone that they were afraid to take a match. I kind of doubt he thought that during his battle with KP on the pitch that day :p . "Amazing Adelaide" DVD's are selling down here at all major department stores and DVD stores for ~$15AUD.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You picked it. How come no English wicketkeepers can bat any more?

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Chris Read is probably the best wicketkeeper in world cricket. I mean that completely seriously, you should see some of the catches he takes, I've never once seen him drop a chance. He's just not very good with the bat. It's almost the same as the old Jack Russell / Alec Stewart tussle, except Gez Jones can't bat either... however Jones gets in ahead of Read I'll never know. Hopefully Read can keep the position for a while now.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Who's that goon cockney commentator? Lol.

Yeah he made himself look a plonker then. That's the only time I've ever seen someone try and duck under a yorker :lol: . Great keeper though!

9. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Thats the worst case of misreading the ball I have ever seen :D
    Im suprised that he didnt cop it to the head because he was moving straight towards it

Edit: Pity about Symonds but Warne is having a bit of fun out there. 10 off his 1st 2 balls is pretty damn good.

[ January 04, 2007, 01:56: Message edited by: TrueBlueAussie ]

10. Harbourboy

50 partnership between Gilchrist and Warne off just 6 overs. Hilarious!

11. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Warnie is well on his way to a century. What a way to finish off a great career if he gets it.

12. Harbourboy

This is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. England have lost the plot completely.

13. Stu Gems: 20/31

Damn, fell just short :) The reason Warne got out was obviously because he ran out of batsmen. He got stuck with Pigeon and then tried to over attack. This was his downfall. Move him up to number 4! Hmm, perhaps an opening position would be better (Warne century wise) the way England are going :p

Read really looks the part - I mean, standing up to the wicket for a medium pacer - thats class. As for his batting, yeah someone said yesterday that England really need another 1 and a 1/2 batsmen to be competitive. Their last five batsmen made 4 runs. Between them.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    I wouldn't have begrudged Warne a century in his last test to be honest. That would have been a great way to bow out.

I didn't like the field Flintoff has set to Monty this match and a lot of the series so far.. he offers way too many singles, the batsman is under no pressure. Yes, some batsmen will go after him, but make them take the fielders on, rather than letting the scoreboard tick over so easily. One of the commentators said that when Ponting came to the crease at some point in the series, without having faced a ball, and for Monty Freddy had put 5 men on the boundary. Against Pakistan Monty was so economical, because singles weren't on offer so easily, with Strauss' captaincy. Someone should have a word or something, because its making it so much easier for them to play Monty, who's a good attacking bowler for us.

Sort it out.

Also a big up to the Barmy Army, who were still fantastic. I swear I heard a rendition of 'Living on a prayer'. About to be embarrassingly whitewashed in Australia and still singing their hearts out. Surely the best supporters in the world. I'd love to travel away with the Barmy Army. It's something I will definitely do at some point.

15. Harbourboy

Well, a clean sweep. It doesn't get more comprehensive than that, no matter what you might say about the one that got away in Adelaide. End of an era for Australia, but England really looked second rate for most of the series.

At least now they get to play in the one day tri-series with fellow under-achievers, New Zealand, who should be a better match for them.

16. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

What a way for Langer, Warne and McGrath to finish. First clean sweep in 80 odd years is a great way to go out.

17. Stu Gems: 20/31

That was a pretty damn good way to go out. 1001 wickets between Warne and McGrath!
    Probably the worst thing from an English perspective would be the way Harmison was bowling in the last test (he looked dangerous as). If he could do it then, why couldn't he pull himself together when there was still something to play for.
    Full credit to the Barmy Army - they were still singing strong and out in force even when there was effectively nothing to play for.

Of all the English team, who do you think actually played well. I thought KP, Panesar and Read did well and Straus was a tad unlucky, but apart from that there wasn't too much to write home about.

18. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Yeah, KP was good though I reckon Panesar was probably their best. He actually looked like he was still enjoying it even in the last game. Read was a better keeper than Jones but still a pretty poor batsman and that really was where the poms needed more skill. Their bowling would be decent if it was consistsant but if they cant make a big then it is just going to fall apart as we saw.

19. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

And the Poms get cleaned up again even if it wasnt a test or one day game.

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    Anderson's figures were disgusting. We've surely now established that he's just not good enough for England.

Good to see Vaughan playing again. Nixon did quite well too. Flintoff needs a good kick in the arse. Not much else to say about it really, most of the team was crap, as has been the case all series. If we lose to the Kiwi's I think I'll just cry.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.