1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2006 Ashes

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Stu, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Harmy caught and bowled Clarke! That was just way too quick for him, you can't pull them. Hopefully Symond's will be a bit nervous so we might be able to get him early.

I get the feeling that so far this series all our plans for Hussey have failed... there aren't many flaws in his technique to attack.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hussey is some sort of a freak batsman really. If you have some sort of alien super power in your team, maybe you should let them bowl at him.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    Panesar grabs Symond's after a brief flurry of attacking from the weird haircut guy.

Get Freddie on to get his bunny Gilchrist and we're looking at a pretty low first innings score (fingers crossed).

Alright, Panesar to get him then

Oh Monty Monty, Monty Monty Monty Monty Panesar.

5. Harbourboy

What a crazy session. Great fun to watch though.

Monty strikes again. He's better than Freddie.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Wait till you see him with the bat! Better mind those WACA windows...

4th wicket for Monts. Where has he been the first 2 test matches...

[ December 14, 2006, 08:53: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

7. Harbourboy

They haven't played him because he clearly has a weak spot when bowling to Mike Hussey. Whereas Ashley Giles was not noticeably weaker when bowling to Hussey. Surely that's obvious. Panesar is crap against Hussey. You didn't see Hussey outscoring everyone this heavily when Giles was playing.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Err, yeah Gaz :lol: what you been smoking?

There's the fivefer for Monts :) .

9. Harbourboy

I still see Mike Hussey there. Panesar can't touch him!

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    I don't think any bowlers in the world have been able to touch him in his test career yet.

Good to see Harmison bowling well again. Probably too little too late though, I'm afraid.

Ah no that's harsh. McGrath was no where near out then. Unlucky to him. Well bowled today by England today though. Let's just not loose any stupid wickets before the end of play...

11. Harbourboy

Oh! McGrath robbed of the opportunity to tear Panesar apart.

McGrath also had to give up on of his batting records last week. Until last week he held the record for the LEAST amount of runs scored at the time of taking his 100th test wicket (he had only scored 67 runs at that point). Last week, when New Zealand's star stroke maker Chris Martin took his 100th wicket he had only amassed the paltry sum of 48 runs. Quite frankly, Chris Martin is the worst batsman I have ever seen.

Oh well, time for the Monty to come out and open the batting and show us what he is made of!

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    To be fair, Monty isn't as bad as he's made out to be with the bat. I mean, he's no Sachin Tendulkar but he's certainly not a rabbit in the McGrath sense of rabbit. He's got at least a few shots. He slog-sweeped Murali a bit in our series against Sri Lanka!

13. Harbourboy

3rd best ever figures for a spinner at the WACA. Unbelievably, Dan Vettori has the best ever.

Hey! And don't call McGrath a rabbit! He scored a test 50 against us a couple of years ago. So he must be good!

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    And 3rd best ever for an English bowler at that ground.

What I liked to see was when a batsman tried to climb up on him a bit, he didn't quail and let his head drop, he thought of another way to get him out.

I hope Strauss and Cook can stay in until tomorrow...

15. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

50 Harbs? McGrath would be insulted by that - It was a good 61! You have no excuse for not knowing that - He has it in big red letters at the top of the face of his bat and has so for the better part of the year :) . Hussy and McGrath have had a (record breaking) 100 run partnership before, I was hoping for a repeat. Bad decision, but there haven't been many of these so far (awesome umpiring imho) and at least it happened with out no.11 batsman and not our number 4.
    Ponting will be seething with his dismissal, he was disappointed with his 154 in Adelaide but this score is well below his this-year-average by around 108 runs.
    Monty was awesome - I love his bowling style, it just sort of drifts at the start of the delivery before darting down towards the pitch. At last - we have a competition!!
    Stuart Clarke was looking hell dangerous at the end of today - a dropped catch and two more just missing the outside edge in the same over! Should have had Collingwood today.
    I still don't like Simmons inclusion - he's not really the best choice for a test batsman with his average sitting below Lee and only a couple of runs above Warne. Cosgrove should be promoted!

16. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just got back from college cant wait to see the highlights tonight! :D Losing two early wickets was a bit disappointing but with a bit of luck we can get atleast 300 on the board. This match isnt going to be a draw, so if we don't win we've lost the Ashes. :mommy:

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

What did I say earlier about spinners and Australia?

:D

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    We just can't bat.

That's 7 down. Why are our batsmen constantly fishing out at wide balls? We didn't we look at how Hussey got success? He didn't try and manufacture runs and he played patiently and sensibly. Why are we looking for runs that aren't there? More importantly, why do our batsmen never learn? Annoying.

[ December 15, 2006, 06:26: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

19. Harbourboy

Our batsmen can't bat either!

Pietersen thwarts Australia again though.

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    We never learn. Constantly finding ourselves in positions where we have to scratch and claw at the end of an innings to try and make it look a little less embarrassing. The simple fact is that the only batsmen to make any runs so far are Collingwood and Pietersen. You can't win test matches anywhere if only 2 of your batsmen can make runs, never mind Australia. A lot of mistakes are made 2 or 3 times, that's not acceptable. You've got to learn from your mistakes, otherwise bowlers will just target your weakness again and again.

I kind of wish I hadn't lost 7 hours of sleep now!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.