1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

4 Character Party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Fin, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Mathetais.

Isn't it Deep Gnome that gets Mirror Image and not Drow? I also found their +4 AC and bonus dex and wis helped them as monks. The ECL penalty is not really a big problem with a book from the monastery...

2. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

That's maybe the perfect party... Except that the pure Fighter is at the front, the Fighter/Rogue - next to him, then is the cleric and at the last, but not least is the wizard (or sorcerer, you mean)...

3. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have a four person party running right now, and though they're not very far along (just working their way through the Shaengarne river), they've done very well:

Drow Sorcerer
    Duergar Stormlord Of Talos
    Half Orc Barbarian/Fighter
    Tiefling Rogue/Druid

4. ak47 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Gaius,

Any particular reason why you went with the duegar and tiefling races for those classes?

5. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

^Just simple curiosity. I had not used any of the ECL races before, so I'm using the smaller party format to try them out.
    The Tiefling does have the advantage of Rogue favoured class and gives the stat bonuses I needed for the build, so the choice there was partly a game mechanics one. Likewise with the Drow; it worked for what I needed and I had never used one before due to the high ECL.
    The Duergar was chosen purely for curiosity's sake, and so far I do concur with the general consesus that they are a bit on the broken side; the 2 ECL penalty does not seem justified. The Drow's does however; he's not flying through the levels, but he has a lot of innate advantages that compensate. But the Duergar.. Perhaps the only time a Duergar might be worth the ECL is if he's a Rogue/Fighter combo (the extra stealth bonus and invisibility could compensate for lost skill points).

6. Fin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Here's the party I ended up with, it's actually quite close to my original one. At the fortress in Chap. 1 right now, after a day, they haven't had any problems so far. Except for very cruel luck with the random magic weapon dropping. You'd think there's nothing metal in the whole place.

- Shield Dwarf Fighter 4/Barbarian 2 (great tank)
    - Tiefling Rogue (amazing melee with the right weapons and feats)
    - Wild Elf Druid (fun spells, lots of fun shapes, good fighter)
    - Aasimar Sorceress (talker, with crossbow, things go splat)

Personally, I really don't like using clerics a whole lot in this game. If I find I really need the healing, I'll dual the rogue into one for a few levels, but the Druid's fine right now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.