1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

+4 to hit enemies

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by david w, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    If that's true, then 99% of the people on this board don't know how to play the game, and I haven't seen them post much on this forum. It would require people going through the game without using +4 weapons, and from what I've already said and you highlighted, you'd be moronic to not have +4 weapons at this point.

My "all of this is moot" comment was certainly not directed at your claim that most enemies can be hit by +3 weapons, it was directed at the people who think otherwise. My point to them was that there are very few weapons worth using that are under +4 anyway, so I don't see where their ***** is.

Anyone who doesn't think CF is a good weapon choice doesn't know what they're talking about. That having been said, I can think of exactly two weapons worth using as your main hand weapon in ToB that aren't at least +4. They are CF and Black Razor. Unless these people are bemoaning the fact that these weapons aren't +4, I don't see what their beef is. OK, two people in your party can't hit EVERYTHING in the game, but the other four can.

Plus, when considering these weapons, who does it really affect? Possibly the PC and Valygar. I think of the other fighter types in the game (Korgan, Mazzy, Keldorn, Minsc, Anomen), these characters are developed in such a way where they won't (or can't) use longswords or katanas. Think about it. First of all, all the good characters don't have Black Razor as an option anyway. But even considering CF, is Korgan not going to wielding axes? Is Mazzy not going to be wielding short swords or a bow? Is Keldorn not going to be wielding Carsomyr? Is Minsc not going to develop either two-handed swords, maces, flails or axes? And Anomen simply can't use them at all. With the possible exception of Minsc, I see no reason why any NPC other than Valygar would develop katanas, simply because you only have a finite number of proficiency points, and the other NPC's are already developed in such a way where it's easier to go with something else.

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Okay, the "99%" was a *bit* of an exaggeration but I've seen more than a few comments on these boards that seem to imply that weapons below +4 are useless in TOB because there aren't any enemies who can be hit by them.

I wonder how many can be hit with just +2 weapons...

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Black Razor can be used by anyone. It requires your PC being evil to get it, but Minsc and Mazzy can still use it.

As for CF, most of the enemies in the game that actually matter won't be affected by that stun.

BTW, I've made it through the game using +3 weapons. It wasn't easy, but it is possible.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's correct. I was assuming if you had a good party, you'd also want to have a good PC, and as such, you wouldn't take the evil choice in the hell trials. Technically though, yes, anyone can use it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.