1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A cleric is having fun ...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by thetruth, Feb 22, 2006.

1. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

@ Starwalker

I know. But I don't want to lower the difficulty ...

As for the mages as Faraaz said they can use wish.
    I did it with a party of 4 on insane without using Wish,BUT I had Solaufein and MANY scrolls (especially PFMW) ;)

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@thetruth: AFAIK, saving of games is hardcoded into the engine as far as monsters go...so I doubt there is any such mod.

That would make the game too easy too...

But I know what you mean...listening to Melissan prattle on and on about how great she is over and over again, when I get my butt handed to me...NOT FUN! :grr:

3. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Nope,you will understand what I mean when you will kill the last of the 5 ...
    I hope that your PC (computer) can handle that ;)

4. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hey thetruth. I've been watching your threads and have become curious!

You see, I cannot play in a party. I don't know why, but I seem to only like to play solo. That said, soloing in the unmodded game is becoming too easy for me!

So I'm curious, are these modded solo runs really fun most of the time, or are you banging your head against the wall and reloading tons? Do you think that somebody like me who doesn't have as advanced a knowledge of the game as you can get by in a modded solo run?

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@nataben1314: I think I can answer that one...

There used to be a time when mod -> Ease of Use...and nothing else! :D Ah those were the days...running around carefree and ripping everything apart! :evil: But then I discovered Tactics, Ascension whatnot...and let me tell you, the first 40-50 times you play these things...you WILL bang your head on the wall closest at hand.

You will keep trying and trying and getting your butt handed to you over and over again, till you figure out the way to beat the enemies in your own style.

(PS: Your style MAY include CTRL+Y and CTRL+R, depending upon how frustrated you get! :heh: )

Mostly though, once you've played the modded battles a couple of times, and you know what to expect...you'll be alright.

PPS: I highly recommend playing a modded game with a party BEFORE trying out the insanely difficult battles on solo.

6. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Hmm good advice Faraaz but the problem is that for some reason I always get ANNOYED by party play. I think I'm just a soloer through and through, but now when I solo it is too easy! :(

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Then, try soloing a modded game. Get tactics, improved battles, and ascension for a start. :evil: You WILL appreciate the value of a good, solid party in no time, hopefully!

Besides, once you know HOW to defeat improved enemies, they are not that hard. The hard part is actually finding and exploiting their weaknesses (if any)

Why don't you try? You have absolutely nothing to lose, you can uninstall the mods easily whenever you want, they are very user-friendly! :thumb: But maybe not newbie player friendly! :evil: But these are the only ways to really improve your playing skills! :p

8. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

@ nataben1314

The most important thing, IMHO, is to solo the game with your favourite class.This way you will have fun,no matter the difficulties.
    On core rules, almost all classes can solo the game even with the most challenging mods.
    Of course a mage class (pure class,multi,dual,Bards) will have a much easier time...

Again it depends on the class you will choose...

This is the case of my fighter's solo.From the very beginning I had to reload constantly in a difficult battle ( improved Ilyich :bang: ).
    But since I had fun, it didn't bother me so much.And this because the plain fighter is my favourite class.I know it sounds strange, but he was the first character I had finished the game with and I wanted to see if he will be able to solo a heavily modded game.
    Continuous reloading is very frustrating I know,but the satisfaction of beeing able to win a fight that you shouldn't be supposed to win, is immense :happy:
    Another reason that makes me enjoy such a game,is that it makes you think a LOT.You have to find new,unconventional tactics,use weapons and items you would never use in a party,etc...

With my cleric,things were easier (at least before the final battle :D ).There was no battle I had to reload for more than 4-5 times.But I was more experienced and I knew better what to expect.

My fighter's solo was my first modded game,so ... ;)
    It was very hard but I repeat you will find new tactics,strategy for every situation by yourself.
    Knowledge comes with the experience and ... from the SP's boards :D
    As Faraaz said correctly, it would be easier if you played first a modded game with a party.
    But since I know that solo will make things faster (quick level ups,no party micromanagment,etc.), I suggest to do it solo.And don't worry SP is here for any problem you have ;)

9. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Okay thetruth you have convinced me! :)

I'm starting my modded game now as my favorite class I've played so far, a half-orc fighter/cleric.

Wish me luck!!!

And I really hope that you can find a way to prevail against crazy Insane Mellisan and all those battles!!!

Maybe you can install the rest anywhere portion of Ease-of-use and pretend the RP reason is that you're focusing the combined power of Lathander and your own Godly power to erect a lengthy sanctuary spell around you that allows you to rest! :D I know it's just a silly RP excuse to rest but still... :lol:

Good luck!

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Actually, there are two PnP wizard spells that are made for resting anywhere (4th level Leomund's Secure Shelter and 7th level Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion), but no cleric spells.

EDIT:
    One possible exception being the 5th level cleric spell Extradimensional Pocket. Using that spell, a priest of at least 24th level (the duration is 2 turns/level) could disappear into his backpack for eight hours rest, but Lathander only knows who might've appropriated the backpack while he was sleeping. Or, in conjunction with the 2nd level priest spell Nap, he could shorten that time to a single hour (running a slightly lesser risk of 'appropriation').

[ April 02, 2006, 21:21: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

@nataben1314

What mods you have? :confused:
    Good luck, wanna post your own adventures in a similar thread? It could be fun. I do believe a fighter/cleric would have easier time though. If you are in need of help, just ask us!

@Felinoid

I really appreciate your wisdom and vast knowledge about PnP and 2E AD&D. Just so you know! ;)

@thetruth

No uptades so far? Is this really the end? Please... :wail:

12. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

UPDATE

My cleric is still alive ;)
    I have managed to get to the final pool almost without using spells.

First Phase :

I decided to use some spells-buffs for the first battle,otherwise I could not kill those Solars.
    I used protection scrolls for the elements (fire,cold,acid,electricity),2 p.of mind focusing, and then Armor of Faith,H.Power,R.Magic,Boon and improved Haste from the cloak of protection +2 and I enter the Throne.Balthazar was there and together we manage to kill :

a) Bodhi

b) Improved Fallen Solars: They were incredible.
    They move at 4x speed, can stun+dispel / hit and they can do some amazing damage (This was not a critical and I was wielding the flail Defender for 20% p.resistance :eek: ).

They cast many spells : Firestorms,Creeping Doom, imprisonment :aaa: (fortunately Balthazar is immune) and their Earthquake has left my cleric unconscious many times ( how can someone protect himself from unconsciousness ? Free action does nothing...)

And even worse: each time they are near death they cast imp.invisibility and ... return in FULL health :bang:

Anyway after many reloads I kill the first and Balthazar the second .

c) Imoen after some time (and much damage to my cleric :mad: ) returned in herself and left.

d) Irenicus : He had every high level protection and many nasty offensive spells (improved comets).We took a lot of damage but finally he died .

Pool battles :

Again I did all of them without using a single spell.

It took me a lot of time (and many reloads) to understand the abilities and weaknesses (not many :D ) of each demon.All of them are improved (Ascension mod) versions of the normal demons and MUCH tougher.

- I had to kill Nabassu,Baalors,Glabrezus as fast as possible because they cast Gate and then it would be too late .

- I had to stay away from the Baalors.
    I realized it after seeing many times this and while I had full health...
    Baalors have Vorpal hits :mommy:

- Most of them have >70% MR and are immune to Domination except from the Cambions.So I used the Staff of Command and dominated 2-3 of them (when domination passed through their 50% MR).They helped a lot, when I could keep them alive, since all the cambions are wielding the Soul Reaver :whoa:

Balthazar helped a lot in these battles although I had to use the rod of resurrection sometimes to keep him alive.And after some time the first pool was ours...

I was using mainly the Erinne sling with +4 bullets,always hasted from the oils of speed and I could do some amazing damage (best sling in the game).
    And with the help of some more dominated Cambions the last Demon was dead...

Now the battle against the Five,Melissan and maany other demons.
    I will try to see how far I can go...

[ April 02, 2006, 21:40: Message edited by: thetruth ]

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

:eek: :banana: :eek:

@thetruth: Dude! You da man!! :D Seriously! To get as far as you have, it is AWESOME. I (and countless other gamers I'm sure) would have just given up I'm sure...

Are you done yet? Waiting very eagerly for the next update...

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Ouch. See, domination works wonders, and I am glad you haven't used many spells. Hehe, sissy sling did kill a lot of demons eh?

On to glorious victory! I know you can do it!

15. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

@ nataben1314

Good luck ! ;)

Fighter/Cleric is not the easiest (see mage-classes) you could choose,but can become very powerful (and it's a combination of my 2 modded solos too :D )

A suggestion (for later) :

Take only one cleric HLA - Energy Blades and the rest Fighter HLAs.
    I would take 4x Hardiness and the rest GWW attacks.

@ Felinoid

Thanks Fel.I think that could justify an eventual rest after the battles :D but anyway I have been able to do without it...

@ Silverstar

Yes it helped a lot.But only against the cambions.The other Demons where immune to it.
    But I have not many charges left in my staff of Command,too many blocked by the cambions'MR.

As for the special ability ''Control Demons'',once again I found it useless.
    Some of the Demons cannot be controled (especially Mariliths) and I cannot understand why.And the most important is that you need about 10 seconds to dominate the Demon.In this time you are ''stunned'' and of course the other demons attack you... :mad:

Also one more difference from core to insane is that clicking on one of the pools,on core,makes you immune to vorpal hits.On insane it doesn't :(

When I will have more free time,I will continue with the last fight (tomorrow I hope).

16. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Wouldn't Death Ward protect you from Vorpal Hits?

Then again if you get dispelled...but you can wear spiffy Ritual Boots?

How much chance that Baloors score a vorpal hit? %10? Or more? :mommy: Vorpal is nasty, but I am soo glad they at least made the Baloors closer to their PnP counter-parts, even with the fire aura! :thumb: Nice work!

17. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    They seem quite picky as to who they call their friends. :D

I'll never learn to understand these soloers. Sometimes I have a rough time going unmodded with a full party. :D

18. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Well, don't worry, this means you still need to play pure BG2 a lot of times! You are lucky indeed, I wish I were you!

19. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Wow thetruth I'm amazed at how you can do this! I hope the final battle goes well! If I had 1/10th of a clue about this game I'd offer some advice, but I dont!!! :lol:

@Silverstar

I have the following mods:

Tactics
    Ascension
    G3 Anniversary
    G3 Tweak (only some components)
    Planar Sphere
    Imp. Asylum
    Ease-of-use (a couple componnents)
    Dungeon-be-gone
    Quest Pack
    Unfinished Business
    Oversight (improved sendai component wont install though! :( )
    Item Upgrade

After installing the mods, though, I was no longer in the mood to play a C/F. I don't know really what class I shall be doing. We'll see! I want something new and I've never before played an arcane-caster solo (only F/T, Lathander Priest, F/C, and Monk) so I think I would like to try all these arcane spells that EVERYONE says are so powerful!

20. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Right, with a good arcane caster most of the battles become easier. Arcane magic is POWERFUL indeed if you know how to use it effectively!

You have Improved Ilych right? Then start a game and ask us for advice, I am waiting! :shake:

Have fun! And please open up a new thread for your run! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.