1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Little Foppish Idiot?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yeah - I already came to that decision. Once my wife stops working, money is going to be tight anyway, and health benefits aside, I won't even be able to afford to smoke once the baby gets here.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Aw I'm dead pleased for you mate, I'm sure everything'll work out fine :thumb: . Make sure to take extra care of the missus whilst she's up the duff!

3. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Congratulations Aldeth! :thumb:

You do just fine. For own experience when the time comes you will be more excited and happy than nervous. You'll be fine! :)

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    This is something else that I have to add about why I like the UK. There must be 50 expressions that Barmy has, that if it weren't for the context, I'd have no idea what he was talking about.

If you took away the context, and just asked me what I thought the phrase meant, "Fair play to you mate" sounds like something a referee would say to a player complaining that there wasn't a foul called.

And "While she's up the duff" - well, I wouldn't have any clue what that meant, and I certainly wouldn't have guessed it meant pregnant. It's amazing how different the language is in the U.S. and the UK (and even Australia for that matter), even though we are all speaking "english".

Anyway to finally go back on topic, I was always perplexed when expecting parents were asked if they would prefer a boy or a girl, and by far the most common answer was "We don't care as long as it's healthy." I thought it was strange then, and I find it just as strange now that I'm standing in their shoes so to speak. Of course you want a healthy baby. That goes without saying. :rolleyes: However, even when you pressed them, most wouldn't commit to having a preference for either a boy or girl. The only thing I can think of, is they don't want to admit it, in case a baby of the opposite sex is born. For me, I freely admit that I would rather have a boy. That wouldn't mean that I would love a baby girl any less, it just means that given the 50-50 chance involved, I'd rather have a boy. If I eventually have multiple children, I suppose I'd want at least one of each, but in a perfect world, the first one would be a boy. Do the existing fathers/mothers (or married men/women who want to have kids one day) on the board have a preference?

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'd rather have a girl, which I did. If she hadn't been female, I'd've blamed her dad. Well, it *is* his fault! :p

6. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yup I want a boy to, partly because I'd be able to relate with him more than if he were a she. If it is a boy you'll have to kit him out in your football teams shirt.. so cute! :D

7. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Congratulations Aldeth. I thought you already had children. Your image (or avatar or whatever that picture is called) made me think you're a huge man with lots of children when I saw it the first time. :shake:

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Nah. There are pros and cons to having either a boy or a girl so it really doesn't matter. Not unless you belong to one of those sicko cultures that kills babies of the wrong gender. But for normal people, it shouldn't make any difference.

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Ahh, a mix of fear and happiness. Yes, it's normal.

Congraz, Idiot. :hippy: :hippy: :hippy: :hippy:

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    This is the second time this has been mentioned. Once or twice more and it will be a genuine trend. I can't believe my avatar is responsible for people thinking this.

Well, just to completely destroy the image for you, not only don't I have any kids (yet), but I'm 5'9" tall and weigh 180 pounds (or 1.75m and 82Kg if you prefer metric) - so I'm certainly not huge in either height or weight.

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I wanted a girl the first time around, but was thrilled to death to have a son. The second time, I was thoroughly relieved to have another boy - girls are aliens! I have half a clue as to what to do with a boy, but all those Barbies and Disney Princesses just make me want to gag. Girls may get cuter CLOTHES, but boys get way, way, way better TOYS.

12. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It has more to do with the way you carry yourself amongst the SPers, I say.

Anyhow, where are the mods? Where's Tal? This occasion calls for official felicitations, no question.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My son just spent half the morning running around the house refusing to get dressed. Ah, the joys of children.

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Congratulations! Confusion is a normal state of being at this point. And it never goes away.

I actually wanted a girl (I have one of each from a previous marriage) but am thoroughly happy with little T3.

I agree with Rally on the toys part -- T3 has some really cool stuff already. Mrs Bruno laughs at me playing with the stuff alongside him.

One thing I've noticed, a boy is exhausting. He'll make you feel tired until he moves out. A girl, on the other hand, just makes you feel old. You can fool yourself into thinking 'he's just big for his age.' With a girl you suddenly notice MEN looking at her, turn and see a young woman standing next to you. Just try not to say, "Where did those things come from?!?!" It will embarrass her. Trust me.

To blatantly steal from Bill Cosby -- it is the-last-person-who-had-it's fault.

15. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Congrats Aldeth! Wheeee!! :roll: :spin:

Everybody's having children these days. Is it a growing trend :hmm:

Now the thing is, that whether it's a boy or a girl, dress the baby in green! Imagine all the confused people trying to guess whether it's a boy or a girl! They just won't know how to talk to the baby then! :hahaerr:

And Utyuun, why don't cha give the girl the cool toys! And when she gets a little older, make her watch Terminator 2 and the Alien trilogy to give her decent role-models for women? ;)

16. Harbourboy

Why do you only say "if it is a boy"? Why can't your daughter wear your team's shirt?

17. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

She can. In fact my oldest daughter runs around with a Iron Maiden shirt. Of course I bought it for her.

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree HB. Boy or girl would be wearing Cardinals shirts just like his/her mother.

19. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

:thumb: Congratz Aldeth!

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I insist that you refer to him around here, once born, as "mini-fopp." :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.