1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A question for our English members...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Hugo, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I live about 5 minutes drive from you. Small world, eh!

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Which is the single most annoying speech defect of many English. Can you not see the 't'! It's right there!

3. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    But incapable of pronouncing 'H' if you're from Yorkshire, like me ;)

And I agree with Duffin, pride in the monarchy is very important to most of us.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    British English is normally non-rhotic, so before consonants, an "r" is not supposed to be heard. :p I would associate "wa'er" with American dialects rather than a speech problem. :p

[ November 15, 2006, 22:06: Message edited by: chevalier ]

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Huh? Speak English, man!

6. chevalier

Media:
    That's the mute r's before consonants and at the end of a cluster of words. :p

7. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just abit! Where abouts are you from then? Ever watch Stags play?

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Hell no, I'm a Spireite so you wash your mouth out with soap ;)

9. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Heh so your about 10 minutes away but in a different county :p .

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    Heh, we're that close we'll have to go out for a drink some time or whatever. You're old enough to drink,right? :p

11. Duffin Gems: 13/31

18 next May but I've been getting served round here since I was 16. I feel like a kid now :p how old are you?

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    Bloody 22! Everyone's younger than me these days :lol:

13. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Haha after a few drink's we'll get the inner child out :beer: . Oh yeh that reminds me getting bladdered's a big part of English culture :thumb: .

14. Clixby Gems: 13/31

I'm in bloody Bristol, which as far as I can tell is Chav Center of the Univarse.

Can't think of much more to add beyond what's already been mentioned. HB, I believe the Vegemite ban is real, as far as I am aware, since they have laws against folates being in foods or something.

15. chevalier

Media:
    And every pub you frequent is the oldest in England. :p :D

16. Clixby Gems: 13/31

That's actually a chronological fault caused by the sheer amount of inbreeding by the royal family over the years. they're ALL right.

17. chevalier

Media:
    They don't have much choice these days. Everyone with a big enough title seems to be a great-great-great-great-great-grandson of Queen Victoria.

Long live the Stuarts, anyway! :p

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I sometimes believe that George Mikes was right with his one-line chapter about sex: "Continental people have sexlives. The English have hot-water bottles".
    Perhaps that's why they get all excited and utterly pissed when they see a scarcely dressed woman in the Red Light District of Amsterdam. :p

And at Clixby: The people I met in Bristol were fun to be with, I would say. But then, that was about 8 years ago. Great city if you like D&B.

19. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    LMAO :shake:

Of course I'm French, that's why I find this comment so utterly funny! (and why I've got that outrageous accent!)

Anyway, If "Guillaume le bâtard" (his original name) wasn't French because he was of Norman (i.e. Viking) ancestry then (following this logic) it would mean that any French king who had an ancestor who wasn't French, wasn't French either... As a consequence (big surprise) there are no French kings left in history!

Just as English kings wouldn't be that much English but rather French, Germans, Scots (hail the Stuarts!), etc.

After 1066 the official language of the ruling elite in England was French and that situation lasted for 300 years.

That's why Modern English is so different from Old English and why my English friends you use so many French words when you speak your beautiful language. :p

20. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Tea
    Scones

That is all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.