1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Abortion - Views?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

no, i'm talking about the law: if they say is legal, then you have the choice, if they say it's illegal, you have no choice. But they shouldn't and cannot make the laws based on the church, and when they decide a life is a life.

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Not legally available freely, but available in extreme circumstances (rape, incest or threat to health of the mother).

Life begins at conception, and to me, ending that life is murder.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That's right. The last thing America needs is a theocracy.

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

There are several named phases in a pregnancy, I can't possibly recall them by name but they exist. Something radical takes place in each stage so the legal time for abortion would have to be defined "within or before this stage" or something similar. Defining the exact stage is of course difficult but it's a way lot better than banning abortion or allowing it fully up until the child is born.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It should be legal without many restraints but counseling should be obligatory and focused efforts should be put in to educate the morons who do get pregnant unwillingly. One moment of idiocy or whimsicality will lead to a lifetime of regret and mourning or an unwanted child.

People need to control their emotions and be rational.

6. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Legal without any restrictions. You can't tell people what thay can do with their own body. If one wants a tatoo, go ahead, if one wants to terminate pregnacy, go ahead. It is sick when some people deny this right in situation when pregnancy is a result of rape or when the birth could result in death (or serious health consequences) of the mother and the baby (abortion in such cases is the only solution - the child would die anyway, why not save the mother?)

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Udertaker: How is it a part of the mother's body if it has a separate DNA and likely a different blood group, as well? It clearly is a separate organism.

If it's sick that she shouldn't be allowed to kill the child resulting from the rape, then how sick should it be that she would face a murder charge if she sent her father, brother, husband, son or a friend to deal with the rapist permanently?

@joacqin:
    Why obligatory counselling if the problem can be solved quickly by abortion and abortion is morally right? Whence the need for counselling, let alone obligatory one?

Either an unwanted child or a life of regret after having an abortion (which hits back, sooner or later). It often turns out that the psychological taint after abortion is next to indelible, while, retrospectively, a child could actually have been supported. Some of the post-abortion counselling stories are quite tough.

Amen, brother.

8. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

It is a seperate organism but still a baby in womb is in fact (sorry for strong word) parasite on the woman. Mother feeds the baby and her death means the death of the unborn baby.

I was not talkning abouthow to deal with rapists.( cut their balls BTW). I was talking why a woman should carry, take care of a child that is a result of very traumatical experience?

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think women should be offered financial and emotional support, before being offered the choice of abortion. In the end if they don't want put the child up for adoption and still want a termination, its better to have the baby aborted, than to bring an unloved child into the world.

Think of how touch it would be to be growing up on an orphanage.

We still have 'pro-life' protesters here, even though abortion is illegal :rolleyes:

10. chevalier

Media:
    Parasite is an alien organism feeding on the carrier for its own survival, not the woman's own offspring which is carried in the womb by natural design.

If you can't kill the rapist who is the real culprit and the perpetrator, how should you be able to kill the child who's just a result of the crime? Is the rapist better than the innocent child?

@Cuchulainn: Someone else could grow to love the child. Pregnancy and the pain of giving birth is one thing, but claiming that the woman has the right to nullify the foetus just because she wants her vengeance on the father or some such and she prefers to kill it rather than give it up for adoption? I could understand fear of the pain giving birth, but something like that? When she isn't even talking about the pain or about economical conditions but simply wants the foetus not to exist? Come on...

11. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Cúchulainn: I'm sure if you ask most orphaned people if they would rather have been killed before being born rather then live the current life they have and most will tell you that they rather keep their life. Like chev stated, they can always find other substitute parents to love them.

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It's legal where i live, which is good in my opinion.

13. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Not all oprphanages are good, some people work in those places to be around vaunerable children. Maybe this was a bad example that I came up with, but what is being done for children that have bad parents that don't love them? They are the ones that suffer physical and mental pain in silence.

Still I do stand by my first paragraph 100%

14. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Pro-choice.

15. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

I'm sure that unborn babies would have little difficulties in answering such question :p . And not every child in orphanage finds substitute parents. And some children sometimes commit suicide .

The unborn baby is feeding on the woman's organism and doesn't give anything back. It doesn't matter it was created by the parents. During pregnacy woman is weaker, and some women are to weak to carry the pregnacy. That's why I used such term.

Maybe we should ask women who were impregnated by the rapist if they'd like to terminate the pregnacy if there was such possibility?

16. chevalier

Media:
    Not a correct term, though.

Maybe we should ask if they would like to kill the rapist, given an opportunity?

Ask people with a bad childhood history if they'd rather not have been born instead.

17. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Undertaker: What I said was to ask those people who were orphans when younger if they would have rather been killed than have to live their current life (kind of what chev just wrote), not to ask the unborn babies. And sure, not all find good parents, some even get parents who are pedophiles and end up sexually abusing them, but not all people who have had a bad childhood would rather have never been born. Are you telling me it's better to kill all unwanted unborn children then to allow them a chance to have a life of their own even if it's a bad one? While some do end up committing suicide anyway, not all of them do.

18. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Ooh, perfect. :thumb:

19. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

You're avoiding my question. And I said before, this is not a discussion about punishing the rapist.
    And even if such woman wished rapist's death why would she wished to carry his baby?

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Another thing you have to consider is: If abortion be illegalised, what would happen? Surely nobody can be naive enough to believe that illegalising it would eradicate it. Women who don't want the child they are bearing will still abort the pregnancy. However, instead of going to a doctor who will be able to offer good and honest advice and perform professionally, she will instead go to some dodgy guy in a back alley to buy drugs or some such to abort.

I use a similar argument to say that prostitution should be legalised.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.