1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA adventures

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Gothmog, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Hope you make it.

I got busted today by esio. I was expecting it.
    When i was in the bugbear caves esio set us up a damn strong party of bugbears. We couldnt possibly beat them so we ran.

I didnt take the right way and i got stuck up somewhere in the dead end tunnel. Two full healthy bugbears behind me and i near death out of stoneskin.

What i should've done that would be completely IC was to rage and try to slay two baddies. Almost certain death this way.

Second option that was also very good was to drink my potion of invinsibility which i've been saving for stuff like that. I would sneak my way out then.

Third option was the most stupid one i couldve thought of. Yeah, thats me :rolleyes: :(
    I logged out. :o
    When i logged back in the next day i was at full health in the same spot. I sneaked out.

Why i did such a bad choice is beyond me, but i think that great feeling of your heart beating when you're chased by two badass monsters who can at any time bring their crossbows out and shoot you miserable 6hp down in one shot, has to do something with it ;)

Anyway today esio got me. He's a cool guy but said he couldnt let me go, becouse some other players already knew about it and needed to set an example.
    I offered no excuse and did not argue with the penalty he set.
    I was striped of all my stuff i wore at the time (by, by my big iron :cry: ) and lost 3900xp. So i've been set to the beggining of my previous level. Oh, and transported back at the chrella caves. I got out without a scratch.

So... dont log when you're near death or dead ;)

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I actually thought about logging off if my character got into a lot of trouble. When you do that, you just need a (very) good excuse. "Sorry powerful DM, the electricity fell away, I suddenly got disconneted from the internet, my computer froze, I accidentily touched the power switch, I ran out of gas, I had a flat tire, an old friend came in from out of town, there was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locusts, it wasn't my fault, I swear to God!." Or something like that...

Hehe, I was just thinking, would they believe you if for example the electricity really fell away, and a powerful enemy was just about to give the final hit.

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago...I was feeling full of myself, wandering alone in the Tesh Valley. I took out 11 water elementals all by myself!

On my way back I was jumped by 4 Lizzies! The 3 archers each hit me...2 for Crits! Just like that, I was down to 8 hps, and I had just rested! So I drank my only potion of invisibility and ran to the next AT...Where the bugbears live...And amazingly, there were four there!

So I hid in a nook and waited, invisible AND hiding! When night fell...I heard the demon lass in red calling for me! I stayed hidden, and she never found me...I had time to rest...Getting back to 14 hit points.

Then I went back to the Lizard AT. Thankfully, a group of adventures arrived a while later ((Almost a full hour and a half IRL)) and dispatched the Lizzies searching for me. I appeared and thanked them profusely as they healed me!

One of the scariest time I've had on ALFA!

4. Mesmero

[​IMG] Well, no DMing for me. I was actually looking forward to being a DM, but you can't win them all :( . Maybe some day, on another server they will be needing DMs.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh, Gothmog, we all know why you did it: Because it worked for you before when that PC killed you in the crypts! :)

I think you're lucky Esio didn't know about that time in addition to this one (and maybe others that we don't know about eh? ;) ). I'd fly on the straight and narrow from now on if I were you, you never know when a DM is watching...

6. Gothmog

[​IMG] Yeah, it was a similiar thing today. I had something around 30hp... i think a bit less than 30. And i met a gobbie shaman. Easy prey i said to myself.
    I lasted 7 rounds. And i hit him only once. He got in three magic missiles, one mage armor and two rays of frost. One i actualy managed to disrupt.
    Unbelivable, what kind of luck did i have not to be able to kill one shaman :eek: :(

Was down to 5 hp. I ran and hid behind a rock. And i didnt log out ;)
    I met Frostbite later and Tae healed me for 18hp so i'm still walking in DD.

And that time in the crypt my rage put me down :(
    Now i just have to worry that esio finds this forum ;) :p

Really stupid considering i had another sure way out of that cave IC. That invins. potion i didnt remember to drink :(

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, the little monsters can sure get lucky sometimes; that's why I haven't been back to the Kobold cave since I died in there. The high rolls seem to run in streaks and you can get nailed pretty bad in a short amount of time. I was killed in ~3 or 4 rounds.

The Shamen are very tough if they get that mage armor up; it gives them a +4 to AC and their AC is not that low to begin with.

There was a time I was in the Dagger Hills with a couple other guys (I don't even remember who; nobody I regularly travel with). We spotted a small group of goblins up on a plateau, so we decided to shoot at them from where we were. There was a Shaman, two regulars and an Elite; or so we thought. I'm not sure if a DM was adding more as we took them out, but there ended up being 4 Shamen and several more regulars after the shooting started. I got Dazed about 4 times and my partners got Magic Missiled a few times. The lowest level guy went down and the other ran away when he was nearly dead. By that time there was only one Shaman left and the Elite. The Shaman had gotten a mage armor up, so I was missing it like crazy. I finally got a 20 (not a critical) on him and killed him. That left just the Elite, so the guy that ran came back and healed the one that went down and we took out the Elite together.

8. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, I've had stuff like that, but not as bad.

Heh. Arien keeps getting clothes from people, when Arien doesn't like the clothes, she somehow manages to find a way to dump them on me. I have half a wardrobe in my inv now. The most recent being a rediculous red outfit. Arien has one just like it. So we end up walking rounf Dagger Springs wearing the most un druid like clothing. High druid Astra would throw a fit if she saw us.

Arien says that she might put me in for apprentice-ship under senior druid Voran. He's always out patrolling the Tesh Valley. The goo dthing about being a junior druid is the fact that I can go wheerever I like without being bound to orders. Seeing that I don't get many.

Hmm. Eariler I was helping Ania and Arien patrol the border forests when we found a group of Dryads. (Tae's never seen dryads before) And on my way back to the Falls I met Roshnak, who'd been "ripped" badly. Healed him a bit with my limited healing spells and continued on.

Hmm, wonder if I can sneak into the ant hill and get my 200 exp to level without any druids noticing. else they'll have my head and I'll doubt less be kicked from the order. :(

9. Gothmog

[​IMG] Thats the thing i've always wondered about. Great majority of XP comes from killing baddies.

Now druids are supposed to protect nature so animal hunting is forbiden. Whats left are gobbies, some kobolds, lizards, orcs and bugbears. But these are all waaay to tough for lvl1&2 guy.
    And besides druids must also protect the balance. Where's balance in killing all the lizards you can see?

And i see Voran hunting around the White Chalk every day. Ants, lizzards, you name it. Everything thats hostile. Oh, with the exception of bears and badgers :) Those i saw him avoid.

So... what has the druidic circle to say about this?

10. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] I STILL don't understand the allure of druids...

11. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

Healing spells.

And a companion, kind of like two for the price of one.

12. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] So it's all about powergaming? And nothing about the connection to the forest and preserving the balance? I thought so...

Try being a rogue. Basically no magic or healing. You get scrolls, but they are usually low level. Sneak Attack is fantastic, but if your victim lives through your first strike...It's usually over for you!

You have to rely on your wits.

13. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

*grins* mu first character was a rogue, and like you say, if you don't get them first time then it might be a good idea to run.

Yeah, she didn't last too long :( For my next character I think I might experament with different classes.

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I think the point of the orders to/from the Druid Circle is to try to get people away from just going out and killing everything in sight for the sole purpose of levelling or getting gold.

The main complaint I hear on the ALFA boards is that people go on a circuit of spawnpoints with no better excuse than "hunting" or "training". They want everyone to think like their character more. Your character doesn't have a concept of XP and levelling, so why are you out there exterminating the same creatures over and over again?

I think that's part of the point; they aren't too tough for a party of L1 or 2 adventurers, they are too tough for a solo player who wants to maximize his XP gathering potential by being alone.

The orders about unnecessary hunting are not just for the animals, they are for all the monsters as well. The Druids are not saying you can't kill anything, they simply want a good IC reason for your character's doing so even if it's completely made up by you.

15. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

On my new character, admitidly, I go and do the contracts alone.
    This could sort of be in character for her though, shes a sneaky stealthy ranger. Shes not a member of the circle, or has anything to do with it, shes her own master, etc. However, I don't go in and slaughter every thing for the max experience, rather then that, I'd prefer to sneak in, get the job done, and get out all in one piece.

I mean, I wonder if its possible, when I do the goblin quest, to just sneak in and get the shaman and sneak out again...

Tae was round for some time, and a lot of people, became well known among the circle and a few other people. But never leveled above 2. But I don't mind, it was fun.

16. Mesmero

I don't see what is wrong with this in some cases. I killed the Wayward Soul at least three times with my current character. The first time I killed it was to finish the quest with my own character. The other times I killed it was to help others. I usually say that it is my job to get evil like that out of the Realms, and it is possible that new souls appear and hunt crypts sometimes, but those static quests don't leave much room for originality. "The Zhents are back again? It is the thousand time they want to set up a base camp near Dagger Falls and everytime we stopped them, but I'll tag along, because you need some strong fighters." Maybe they should make new static quests.

Just my two cents on it.

Semi-related to this: I saw a Shadow the other day when I killed the Wayward Soul. It didn't really damage me, but I seemed like ages before I killed it.

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    IMO, helping others with the contracts is a great IC reason to go and kill something, but there are no contracts to exterminate everything in the lizard, kobold and bugbear caves day in and day out.

18. Gothmog

Well as Ivor put it yesterday...
    "They are EVIL they must be ALL KILLED. First we kill ALL the kobolds for practise and then we kill TRUE EVIL the BUGBEARS."

But Hignar said his ale is in White Chalk so we went for a beer :)
    The funny thing is... We met Yuki at the fire. We all sat down... around 8 or so. In a minute all but Yuki went. :eek: Some dinner, some other OOC reasons. So i was alone with Yuki who was also AFK.
    :rolleyes:

19. fyernine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Am gonna apply to Alfa as I just got access (inconsistently admittedly) to broadband internet and a machine that runs the game - both in the same room, at the same time!!!! Yes!!! Morrowind is going back in the drawer.

Browsed through their guidebook. Now that's a lot of s##t to digest in one sitting. Starting server???? Where do you guys reccomend? The land of FAerun is a big big place and I'm a tiny squib who's seen barely an ant's backside of it. Course they might not accept me - then I'll just have to go back to reading your posts and drooling...

20. Mesmero

Start on Daggerdale. It has a lot of people and is perfect for low-level characters. But it doesn't really matter what you put as starting server on your application, you can always decide to start somewhere else.

Good luck with your application :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.