1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alley of Lingering Sighs Forum Opens

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, I know what you're driving at. I certainly made an exception here; an exception I hoped would be a courtesy to most of our American visitors (which I'm beginning to think was futile). It bothered me greatly to have to keep listening to some people complain about how they can't visit the boards any more, or can't go to AoDA because they can't stand the sight of so many people criticizing Bush and/or his administration and policies, which most of them generalized must mean that people who posted that also hated America with a passion (no matter how untrue that is). So pushing all such threads into their own corner where they can't possibly bother anyone who doesn't want to go in there and read them willingly was about as much as I could do to solve this predicament. The only other solution would have been to simply forbid any political discussion relating to the US from taking place in AoDA.

Of course, it could turn out that opening this new forum won't really make any difference whatsoever, and that those people who consider everyone who criticizes Bush or his foreign policy (or any other related things) to hate America, will keep thinking that, and that I'm not any better because I allow such threads to be posted and don't censor them. Trust me, I've read so many such wild accusations already that nothing surprises me any more. I'm paying a hell of a price here for upholding everyone's freedom of speech in AoDA/AoLS. And the greatest irony of it all is that the people who resent it the most are the Americans.

The most upsetting thing is that I know nothing short of forbidding any criticism of the US in general would ever be enough for those Americans who are resentful now. And if I did that, I might as well close down the whole forum. What would be the point of having one where it'd be forbidden to post political criticism?

When I opened AoDA I truly believed that if everyone was allowed to post his or her opinion, things would be balanced. Well, that obviously didn't work. Most Americans just didn't bother to counter any criticism, but rather stayed away or simply left, convinced that SP belongs somewhere on Bush's Axis of Evil.

I'm really at a loss for bright ideas about what to do here. If anyone has any, please post them.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't understand why, if people don't like reading about a certain topic, they just don't read that thread. There's nothing that forces anybody to push the button to open a thread. If I see a thread about 'Death Metal' then I don't bother reading it. But some people like talking about 'Death Metal' so I think they should be allowed to. All I will ever see about it is it mentioned in a thread title which I will never open.

I understand the frustration of Americans in constantly hearing generalisations about their country. My advice to them is not read those threads that do that. And if they inadvertantly do happen to read something, then try and forget it and move on to the next topic.

I see no need to ban topics of this nature. Part of the interest of these Boards for me is that I get to see a little bit about what people are thinking around the world. I don't want that view to be diluted too much through insisting people stick to supposedly safe topics.

But that's my 2 cents worth.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I might understand that the titles might possibly be disturbing to Bush supporters, but to those who are not so? Even if, there's no need to read the topic if one knows in advance that he's going to be offended and aggrieved by what's inside.

As for Bush supporters, well, let them defend their Commander in Chief with logical arguments instead of telling us to shut up because Dubya is so cool. :rolleyes:

Don't know if the separate forum section is going to help, though. You know... then they said AoDA was full of anti-American topics, now they will say you've even made a special forum section for bashing America.

4. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Harbourboy -- Your ideas are great ones -- but they oversimplify the situation a bit. Yes, the best thing to do is avoid specific threads, but sometimes you find yourself taking a look, or you're in a seemingly innocent thread and the topic of the US and its politics arises. Now, as you say, we can simply ignore it and close the thread....and you do that, once, twice, three times....over and over...and then it finally gets to you and you explode with anger and respond.

Attacks on your country's politics, ideologies or what have you are not the same as arguing about who makes the best cookies. These topics are emotionally charged for anyone who has a patriotic bone in their body....it's our nationalities that we're discussing and generalizations can hurt, without meaning to.

As for a solution here at SP -- I don't know that there is one. A seperate forum will certainly help -- but it's just put a name on something that already existed. I guess the only choice is for Americans (who are bothered by it) to avoid that forum completely.

5. chevalier

Media:
    Except many of topics in there were started by Americans. As for ideologies, well, that's the purpose of the AoDA. We can discuss the right and the left, we can discuss capitalism and social democracy, conservatism and liberalism, Christianity, the Catholic Church, why not exceptionalism then? There's quite a large in proportion amount of topics involving the US, granted, but that's not quite surprising given that one state of the fifty is about the size of the average European country (OK, one of the bigger states, but still) and it's not like the ideologies come from Mars or like the problems and issues raised are made up by people who want to discuss them.

And I can't agree that we discuss nationalities here. Such threads would be locked down in no time and would likely be the last in their posters' career on these boards.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It is all just so boring anyway :toofar: Everytime I open a forum it seems to have something to do with Bush or the US somewhere :toofar: I mean why is it you guys don't have something more exciting or fun to talk about :hmm: I mean why is it you guys don't have something more exciting or fun to talk about :hmm: I mean why is it you guys don't have something more exciting or fun to talk about :hmm: To much of the same crap is never good :toofar:

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just because Americans start or post in threads that end up being called American-bashing doesn't mean that the people started them to bash America or expected them to go there (gee, I've never seen any thread go off-topic, have you?)

I'm actually somewhat sad to see an arbitrary distinction because I feel that (a) a bunch of AoDA threads may involve American politics, but only in context of world events and (b) some people could do to develop a thicker skin, and this allows them to avoid all criticism and different opinions.

Does the new forum mean that anything related to American politics has to go there or only when it turns completely to the issue?

Further, just because someone makes an accusation of America bashing doesn't mean it's correct and doesn't mean that the author of the accusation isn't making just as simple a generalization him or herself.

Heck, you don't like it, don't read it. How hard is it to hit your "Back" button when you get to the point in the thread that it degenerates into a "Bush-bad, me-good" zone?

About four or five Catholic threads ago, I decided that I'd had my fill and stopped reading them (sorry Chev). That doesn't mean I want an Alley of the Rosary created to shield me from all things Catholic.

Heck, it's your show, Tal, but only do it if you want to, not because you think it will reduce the whining (it won't).

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Those threads which involve American politics but don't center on them (say, UN discussions) should still go into AoDA. Only threads where the US figures prominently in the first post should go into AoLS by default. We can always move those that get derailed into AoLS later.

And yes, practically all accusations of America bashing are false. Bashing a specific country is against the AoDA/AoLS rules and sanctioned whenever encountered (people are even encouraged to report any cases of it if they see it). It's the perception of some Americans that just because there are so many threads critical of the US politics or Bush that many people here hate America. Which, putting it bluntly, is total bull****. But if people act according to their perceptions rather than according to the facts, the point becomes moot. They feel threatened and the result is the same as if they actually were.

I've been repeating the "then don't read such threads" mantra for ages, but it just doesn't work for some Americans. Instead of hanging around everywhere else where the US is not discussed (every single forum but AoLS now), they'll rather stay away completely. Makes about as much sense as not going to the mall because you dislike one of the stores there.

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

[​IMG] I don't like the idea of an separate forum very much either since I don't think it's really going to help anything. Those who are offended by the topics will find them in AoLS anyway and most of them will write there too.

My worst fear is that AoLS will become a "trashcan forum" in which unwanted discussion goes to and no one wants to post because it might hold the same "anti-Bush rant" they read about few months ago. This could mean that discussion about US policies would become futile since so few people participated in them. Well I hope I'm wrong but I've seen this kind of development on a few other forums.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have to second Morgoroth and DMC. Internet forums just like bars works largely by the formula that people attract people, the more and smaller forums you have the less activity there will be in each one and this in turn attracts less people and can even serve to make the regulars post less and less as there doesnt seem to be much happening. It is a downgoing spiral.

However, as has been stated, it is your forums Tal and you do what you want. :)

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

That's true. I, for one, would be interested to hear their defence, since ATM it is really easy to judge all americans as morons. That's prejudice and no one really can put it off if there are no good, opposing arguments. I know the feeling when you are the only one that seems to think otherwise, but running away only because others might not like to hear your opinion is only a lazy-mans solution when even one or two lines is usually enough, if presented right...

@ Bion

That's probably a good idea, I'm certain at least some people would love it, but don't you think that SP is getting a bit too large now? There are several sub-forums that see very little use and only crowd the main-section.

What I would do is clean up those either by deleting them altogether (unpublished games that probably don't come out for a long while yet) or archiving them under one, graveyard-type sub-forum (with locks or no). But then I drive for minimalistic simplicity...

12. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Just a note on the forum name, because it's come to my attention that false assumptions and accusations are springing up even over that.

1. The name was chosen because the original Alley of Dangerous Angles was an area in Planescape: Torment. There is another alley featured in the game, the Alley of Lingering Sighs. Considering our AoLS forum split off from AoDA, I thought it would be fitting to give it a related name.

2. Why I think the name is also fitting is because it expresses the sentiment flowing both ways. You have people posting in AoLS who sigh over the US politics, and another group of people who sigh because of the people who keep sighing about the US politics.

I assumed this would be obvious, but apparently it wasn't, so I hope this clears things up. If anyone has any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

13. chevalier

Media:
    And people say lawyers don't have a sense of humour. :D :lol:

/me chases dmc with a rosary and a vial of holy water :pope: :pope: :pope: :shake:

That is correct, I believe. Yet another point is that threads in that forum will be assumed to be at least a mild form of bashing, which is likely to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

14. Spellbound

Wirthe --

Man, am I ever glad you said that. You prove my case in point -- but, still, you don't get what I was trying to say -- perhaps I didn't state it fully.

I DESPISE BUSH. I am NOT a BUSH SUPPORTER. I NEVER voted for him. I am, however, an American. The question I ask is how are those anti-Bush Americans supposed to respond to continuous anti-Bush posts that go a bit beyond criticism of a President, and enter the realm of criticism of a country, of a people. We are still Americans -- so while we agree with your BUSH criticisms, we get offended at the rest -- we are still Americans, afterall, regardless of who's at the helm. The pro-Bush Americans have it easy -- they can mount an argument and take the other side because there's something to argue, that's legal according the board rules here. It's much harder when you agree with the BUSH criticism (but not the anti-US), because there's nothing to say except look at such posts over and over....and if you try to fight the anti-US rhetoric WHEN IT APPEARS, you're accused of calling people "American-haters". Around and around and around we go. (And I'm NOT saying all posts end up that way...but I've seen many cross the line with direct sarcasm that can hurt.)

Case in point.

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Here's something that settles this... Talk about something else other than boring bloody politics!

Settled.

16. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I agree 99.9% with Spellbound. As far as all Americans being morons I do find that narrow minded at best. What are we supposed to do? Stage an armed rebellion? Don't be silly.

Unfortunately not all the bashing comes from outside the USA. Some Americans bash other Americans who disagree with them.

As far as the new forum goes, I'm rather glad to see the topics out of AoDA. Although like a sore tooth I probably won't be able to stay away from it.

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Nakia Nightshadow

I said it IS prejudiced, so stop pointing fingers or someday, someone will take scissors and cut them off. :shake:

(...And... well... armed rebellion isn't that bad idea, but I would just move to Canada... But rebellion is okay too, if that is what you have been thinking. :) )

@ Spellbound
    That is because it is the president that sends the orders, but the people who carry them out. Bombing the hell out from civilians, torturing prisoners, military atrocities... First it was Afghanistan, now Iraq, next it is probably Iran or Korea, now that Bush has been given green light to continue. But whatever, you can say the same again in it's own forum and I can stick to Whatnots. :square:

[ January 22, 2005, 22:42: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

18. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you think that this kind of a moronic statement gives you the basis to unify the people and the president as one entity, than you're simply a deranged ignorant idiot.

19. Spellbound

Wirhe -- This is exactly the type of rhetoric I'm talking about -- you've just give a classic example of it and proven my point once again.

I rest my case.

20. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

:toofar:
    Aside from my opinion that Wirhe didnt intend to lay blame on all Americans - is this sort of attack appropriate in a debate? Oh and look, someone from SP staff, too.

What a poor style.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.