1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

America vs. the world

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Grog, Jul 6, 2001.

1. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

2. Daevaeron Dererath Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

And as for literature, the UK has THE highest litrature rate in the world full stop.

3. Avooch Dar Guest

No one beats britain for comedy
    Fawlty Towers,
    Monty Python,
    Carry ons,
    The Young ones,
    Blackadder,
    Mr Bean,
    Morcombe and Wise,
    Vic and Bob,
    Only fools and horses,
    i could go on but that would be boasting.

And we are the best with music aswell.

4. Daevaeron Dererath Gems: 1/31

Oh and Jack-of-All-Trades, the USA does tend to stick its armed forces in where there not wanted, a place in south west asia (just incase u dont no where it is ), called vietnam springs to mind, the never asked u to but in.

5. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Daevaeron, Vietnam had more to do with preventing the Soviet Union from having access to a warm water port than it did from the Vietnamese personally asking for American assistance. On that count it was successful, I suppose. The climate was different, and Vietnam had played host to more than just Americans battling for control, the French were on thier way out when the US showed up. I'm not an historian and I don't know jack about Vietnam, but most of the things the US becomes involved in involve so much more than a flexing of muscle and dictating terms to the 3rd and 2nd world. Its a little more complicated.

6. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

oh have to argue there.,..Canadian comedy is WAY better. I find British humor very dry.

Not to mention we have some of the best comedians born here!

Jim Carrey
    Howie Mandel
    john Candy
    Mike Myers
    Jerry Lewis
    Dan Ackroyd
    To mention a few
    These are ALL Canadians...!!!!

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] *choke* *splutter* *gaak*

HOWIE MANDEL is one of the world's best comedians?! ;)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited August 19, 2001).]

8. Kitiara Gems: 14/31

Have you ever seen his stand up!! ROTFL especially when he talks really fast.... omg he's funny!!

9. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think I have to agree with Avooch because i do like dry humor and the bands lead singers usualy sound sweet although i do like Howie Mandel alot. Oh and Daevaeron I said "one" of the top emphisise on one.

[This message has been edited by Psycho. the fanged rabbit (edited August 19, 2001).]

10. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What the heck is a literature rate? Are you trying to say literacy? If that's the case then my countrymen don't fare too well. An article in yesterday's Scotsman said that the Moser Report on adult illetaracy suggested one in four Scottish adults were functionally illiterate. The article seemed to be mainly about poor spelling rather than complete inability to read and write. I guess the standards for literacy are higher than I thought.

11. Avooch Dar Guest

Mike Myers and John Candy are briliant but lets face facts here. Can they really compete with the great John Cleese, Eric Idle and Terry Jones! Sid James the master of sexual inuendo and the reinventor of the spank!!!!!!

Please do not insult my intelligence.

British comedy is very dry. But this means that unlike any other country it is totally unique. Compared to other foreign comedy ours is refreshing and contrasting.
    Don't tell me you don't appreciate UK comedy. Monty Python has a huge cult following in USA and Canada.
    I belive Holy Grail has just hit the cinemas in America again because of it's great popularity.

As for music:

Beatles
    Cliff Richard
    Rolling Stones
    Led Zep
    Pink Floyd
    The Who
    Oasis
    Blur
    Radiohead
    Eric Clapton
    Chris Rea
    Phil Collins
    Genisis
    Police
    Spice Girls (not a fan personally)
    Madness
    Stranglers
    T REX
    Happy Mondays
    Def Leppard
    Sex Pistols

and of course the rulers of the pack........Queen!

BTW. Don't try to hide behind Mike Jackson. He has about as much talent as a dead Goldfish and looks like some baby used his nose as a dummy.

12. Kitiara Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] OMG Micheal Jackson is AMERICAN thank god.

And british musicians usually leave britian and come to North America to make it big :p

there are alot of good musicians from canada as well:

Tragically Hip
    Barenaked Ladies
    Brian Adams
    alanis Morrisette
    Tom Cochrane
    The Odds
    Neil Young
    Pearl Jam
    The Watchmen

I am sure there are more!

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited August 19, 2001).]

13. Avooch Dar Guest

For a country with such a low population it is not surprising that most of the bands on your list are not very famous and Alanis is a nutter.

HOWEVER!
    I am far too guilty of loving Bare naked ladies and one week is in my top five tunes of all time so i am impressed!

14. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Yea....the Brits have had some great bands....but let's be real! Rock n' Roll is a truely AMERICAN musical form. Not to mention that the MAJORITY of the British artists on your list LIVE in the US now!

15. Avooch Dar Guest

yeah i know.
    they are taking advantage of your facilities and weather and using up your best houses so that you can't use them. They are just using you!

16. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Ok,there are some hungarian actors, writers, and bands. They're all better than the englis, canadian, american ones!
    Kispál és a borz
    Sinkovits Imre
    Galla Miklós
    Edda
    Oscar Wilde
    kosztolányi Dezsõ
    Esterházy Péter
    Mihail Gorbacov
    Horst Tappert
    Franco Nero
    Árpád vezér
    Gerhard Schröder
    They are all hungarians and kick ass!!!
    Do you want more?

17. Avooch Dar Guest

very good. But Britain has the best triple jumper that has ever existed.

18. Daevaeron Dererath Gems: 1/31

Yeah, but who said that Rock'n'roll is the only music type, like soul, pop, and ballads, u now Even though i live in the UK Canada does have the best singer in the world (in my opinion) which is Celine Dion.

19. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Being an American I am quite proud of the fact that I believe that good music can come from ANYWHERE in the world. (Being a personal fan of QUEEN, how can any self respecting Brit not mention QUEEN j/k :)).
    Some of my favorite books/bands/musical interests/movie interests come from other countries as well as America. I may not agree with everything my country does but I do not wish to point out the faults of every other nation and country in the world. I also do not wish to exalt America above everywhere else either. I do not believe any single nation to be without any fault.
    I don't believe the debate has to turn into a cat fight does it?

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited August 19, 2001).]

20. Avooch Dar Guest

I did mention queen!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.