1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

America vs. the world

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Grog, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Has anyone seen the Canadian show SCTV? Its still on here at weird hours. I think its Canadian, anyway. There's a bit of Canadains making fun of Canada, but the bits where they make fun of America are the best.

2. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Avooch Dar: I just read through your post again and found it. Must have scanned over it as I read your post... As a fellow Queen fanatic please accept my humblest apologies.

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited August 20, 2001).]

3. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin, Richie Valen, Big Bopper, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Aerosmith, and Kurt Cobain. nuff said.

As for comedy Jerry Lewis, thats all it takes.

Now what was that about our music and comedy?

4. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Well, i'm glad to get out of that stupid war issue. ;)

I believe that the best author of all time was born and raised in the great USA, Tom Clansy!(that is my opinion of coase) Correct me if i am mistaken of coase.(regauding where he resided as a child.)

5. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Orkrist:

SCTV is one of my all-time favourite shows, and not just because I am Canadian! I'm sure a lot of the pure-Canadian content skits don't make much sense to non-Canadians, but take my word for it, they're really good too.

You may find this interesting as well. SCTV (Second City Television) was actually supposed to be what Saturday Night Live became: i.e., a live improv show featuring the artists of the Second City theatre crew. When original proposed (SNL that is) by whatshisname (SNL producer) it was to CITY-TV, a station here in Toronto. Had it been accepted here, all of the same actors (Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin and John Belushi) would have started it off. They were a selection of actors from the two Second City stages, one in Chicago and one in Toronto. But, alas, it wasn't accepted, so they had to settle for NBC ;) Probably best for their careers though :)

After SNL's initial success, SCTV was started up here on CITY-TV (ticked off at their own stupidity for passing over SNL and all that talent). John Candy, Martin Short and Rick Moranis were the major headliners, again all Second City actors. If you watched a lot of SNL in the 70's and early 80's, you'd have seen these guys every now and again.

And if you like SCTV, you should try and find the movie 'Canadian Bacon'. One of the best, least known movies in the last 10 years. It was John Candy's last film before he died, which he also directed. It has the US-Canadian relationship (from a mostly Canadian view) perfectly. Actually, I strongly recommend that anyone enjoying this thread go and rent this movie, if you can find it.

6. H Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I was reading all your post, but around the 6 i say "WHO GIVES A DAMN"

i only have to say this: Enjoy your country, and if not move away...

Btw- I'm from Mexico, and i hate USA, not the people who lives there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.