1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An impossible solo?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by thetruth, May 21, 2005.

1. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@14
    If you don't have improved Demogorgon, just take a bunch of fighters, GWW and whack him until he's dead... no need for anything else really...

2. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

[​IMG] For unmodded Demogorgon Elwyn De' Liam is right.One fighter with Crom Fayer can beat him on insane without many problems.
    But imp.Demogorgon is another thing... It took me 2 hours of reloads to kill him.Well my usual tactic: take any potions available, mirror image from ibratha sword and start attacking with simulacrum.When bad injured run away and rod of resurection for healing.Major problems created Demogorgon's energy drain( scrolls of restoration for that) and his Cambion which lowered at minimum my magic resist.and casted some nasty spells.Only after killing the cambion (i ignored all the others summons) i was able to kill Demogorgon.This battle would be easier if i waited to go at ToB where i could take that rod of ruby ray of revers. and gargoyle's boots that would make my life easier but i just couldn't wait :D

And finally i have managed to disrupt the ritual and kill Pontifex.Here is what i did:

I went with my simul. near that skull and the invisible ritual captain.I had to be very quick because the skull's project force throwed us away.I cast sunray (but from the helm of brilliance which has no casting time) this hurts the inv.captain who drinks a healing potion and gives us some time before drinks another potion of invisibility.So my simul. cast detect inv. and then i use the nymph's cloak on the captain and charm him!Now the skull is vulnerable- we kill it.But the captain after a while turns hostile again and invisible :mad: . So i cast sleep cloud from the staff of air, he fails his save and with my last detect inv. i reveal him and kill him .Ritual disrupted...
    Return to Pontifex, he transforms in dragon and the battle was exactly the same with that with imp. Firkraag (they are cousins no? ;) ). Timestops-i take damage,run away, when he has prot. from magic weapons on- i run away again :D .But after his prot. expires i cast simulacrum have it attack the dragon and i behind with arrows of dispelling take off his stoneskins... Pontifex dead :)
    (the position on the side-stairs of watcher's keep is the key for this battle)

3. 14 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

So... what happened with imp. Bohdi and imp. Irenicus ? You have to post otherwise I would think you are killed by them.... Tell us that you are still alive and well...

4. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

[​IMG] @ 14

Did you ever think that imp. Irenicus would be able to stop my super fighter?
    2 days ago I was convinced that he is more than able to do that :D
    But yesterday my fighter proved me wrong once again ...
    -
    -
    -
    -
    SPOILERS (yeah I know that I remembered this word a bit late in this topic but...)
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

The fight on the Tree of life was nothing special , then in Hell, the tears of Bhaal and @14: although I remembered your suggestion about keeping Blackrazor i just couldn't kill that genie and I let it leave with the sword (I know maybe i will regret for it in the future...).
    Anyway when the final battle started I got the shock of my life ... :D
    I was sure that without timestop or maybe some cheesy traps this battle is impossible ...
    Also using CTRL-Y I found out that it wasn't even only one battle but 3 ! The only positive thing was that I found the way to win round 2 and 3 but the initial one was nearly impossible.Reasons ? : a)All the enemies attack at the same time and b)The sword of greed ...(immune to anything a plain fighter can do...or almost anything ;) )
    After a looot of thinking i did the following:

Before I put the last tear in the door I dropped on the ground all the items Irenicus and co. take from you (although I didn't use them later).I casted simulacrum, full buffing and positioned my mirror imaged simulacrum at the same point where Wraith of Wrath spawned.Then I opened the door...
    I ignored the shadows and went down and left in the narrow passage where my simulacrum was already fighting with the Wraith.With some GWW attacks we kill it,avoiding also the strength-drain (at least I avoided it as Wraith attacked my sim.).
    Behind me was already the Sword of Greed BUT fortunately the Dragon was blocking the passage to Beholder and Irenicus who were behind him and so they couldn't attack me :p .
    And the Sword of Greed ?
    For the first time i used the Vorpal sword + 2GWW attacks = a broken sword :grin: :grin: (the famous vorpal effect!)
    Then it was the Dragon's turn.Wait PFMW to expire + 1 arrow of dispelling for the stoneskins + some GWW attacks (sometimes interrupted by wing buffets) = another dead dragon :D
    Beholder was the easiest one with 1 GWW attack.And my friend Irenicus ...
    I drink 1 potion of magic blocking bringing my magic resistance at over 100 %.And what did Irenicus when he saw that??
    Absolutely NOTHING!!! :eek: He remained idle while i was hitting him with f.o.a. and the only spell he casted was some healing spells on himself, in vain of course.
    - 2nd round nothing special , I run quickly to take back my stuff and Irenicus-Slayer dead.
    - 3rd round the same with Irenicus in the first round!!! I was still under the effect of the potion of magic blocking (>100% m.resistance) and Irenicus couldn't do anything about that!

And my fighter returned victorious in Suldanessellar ...

PS: Imp. Bodhi was an easy opponent although from my allies the paladin was killed and Arkanis got dominated in the first round!It was Drizzt who killed him later and of course Drizzt and my fighter were the only two who survived the battle (that guy is immortal).

5. 14 Gems: 4/31

Hmm... Actually when I said "nearly immune to everything a fighter can do" I wasn't talking about the sword... :D

The sword is only immune to physical damages and can be hurt by any kind of magic from wands etc, plus it's not really tough. damage, HP, regeneration wise... So I thougt it would be "easy" for you...

Anywayz forget about these lousy elves now. It's time to fight five demi-gods...

Yeah also in the future you might want to try the Solafein mod. It should be a lot easier as Sola is very powerful himself. But you do get a tougher Bohdi fight (at least Drizzt will be dead) and the famous eclipse party which is pretty nasty.

Again if you haven't done so I recommed the improved Sendai component of the oversight mod. I believe Sendai was not changed at all in all the tactics mods you installed.

6. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

@ 14

And you continue to stress me ... :D May i see that enemy-list of yours? :D

I have already killed imp. Ilasera (shield of reflection made the difference) and entered Saradush.
    I decided to install the other mods like super-Firkraag, imp. Sendai and Solafein in my next game with every other interesting mod i find, because I am afraid that if I do install sthg new now i will mess things up.
    Anyway next time i want to play all the mods with a party which will add a bit of variation in the game.
    My game is a bit boring at the moment and the fact that i summoned my ex-party members in my pocket - plane just to hear their voices and see their faces is not a good sign :D

7. 14 Gems: 4/31

I don't think it will mess things up. But... you probably deserve a break in Sendai. Her room is pretty small, it might be hard as you cannot run or hide. in any case it doesn't affect the final battle (the final battle doesn't use imp. Sendai)...

The final battle... hmmm... you destiny draws close... This will determine if you are a legend or a simple useless fraud...

8. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

@ 14

OK you have convinced me.I have installed it.
    But you are responsable for everything that happens a)at my game, b)at my fighter (in Sendai's lair :D )

And...hey my fighter does not run or hide
    :hmm: ... well not always :D

I was reviewing the MODS i have installed and I found out that the Longer road is not for someone who goes solo :( .And also Longer road isn't an update of the Redemption mod or am I wrong?

9. 14 Gems: 4/31

ARE YOU dead yet ?

10. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

@ 14

No, everything is OK.
    My kensai/thief's concerns is only something I had in mind for the future

11. 14 Gems: 4/31

What the HELL are you talking about ??!?!

Since when you became a kensai/thief ?!!?!

What happens to the fighter solo ???!?!

12. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

@ 14
    :D Total misunderstanding from both parts
    I thought that you were asking (in your prev. post) if my fighter is alive because i made a topic asking for the kensai/thief :lol:
    Don't worry i am still soloing the plain fighter

-----------------EDIT--------------------------

A ''brief'' UPDATE :

- I have killed imp.Gronmir without problems.
    - Then imp.Yagashura with the right tactic wasn't difficult (but the improved fire-giants were very tough and created many problems)

- Imp. Sendai was a big disappointment.
    I don't know if it was a bug that made the battle like that or not but:

When I kill the last statue of herself, Sendai teleports in and summons immediately 2 fallen devas, 4 inv. stalkers, and apart from the infinite protection-spells,she casts also 4 project images.As if it wasn't enough,from the room's entrance every 10 seconds come in 2 drows (randomly elite guards,clerics or wizards).Then everyone casts: firestorm,storm of vengeance,comets,unholy blight etc...
    Result? After 2 minutes the game begins to freeze every 1-2 seconds (at a point that paused and unpaused game makes no difference) and sometimes crashes.The main problem are the drows that keep coming from the entrance;2 drows every 10 seconds means 24 drows in just 2 minutes!And if they are wizards they cast mord. swords! So how is it possible to avoid freezing or game crashing with all that stuff ?
    Sendai herself acts in a strange way.She can't see invisible and doesn't have true sight or detect invisibility.While I am invisible she casts all her timestops in a row and during the timestops keeps casting immun.conjuration,divination,abjuration many times without reason...
    But after her project images expire then suddenly she starts casting spells on my invisible character !!!

Anyway I have killed her,in a long battle, with my non magical long sword + some GWW attacks (she was always protected from mag. weapons)
    after CTRL-Y ing some of the drows in the entrance .I had too kill with CTRL-Y over 40 drows that were blocked in the left part of the room ! And it was the only way to avoid the game's freezing-crashing.

[ June 18, 2005, 04:00: Message edited by: thetruth ]

13. 14 Gems: 4/31

Darn sorry that was a disappointment. Wasn't so bad when fighting with a party. She actually did timestop then walked right next to my vampire char and cast sunray so I thought she was smart... Maybe no modders thought they would be dealing with a solo fighter...

Anywayz how did you kill Yaga Shura ? I thought it's impossible to kill him.... guess you prove me wrong again...

[ June 21, 2005, 21:44: Message edited by: 14 ]

14. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

- Imp.Sendai was disappontment just for the continuous game-freezing.I stayed invisible because I wanted to avoid something like
    timestop + harm ...

- For Yaga Shura I went at the siege camp, attacked him and after he disappears, I ''disappeared'' too with the rings of air-control.
    Then I waited for him to reappear, and with my simul.+ the usual prebuffing I killed him quickly.It's important to ignore everyone else in that battle and also to succeed in killing Yaga Shura before his mage casts time stop.(The autosave just before attacking him the 2nd time is important also,if you don't want to replay the whole battle if something goes wrong)

The impossible maybe was to kill Abazigal but here is how I did it:

- For the first time I beated Draconis so easilly (with no reload) and that shows how much more powerful improved dragons are.

- Improved Abazigal was the most difficult battle so far (more difficult even than imp. Demogorgon).
    I had to follow only one possible tactic:
    a)Kill Tamah, the purple dragon
    b)Kill the wyverns+ frost salamanders
    c)Abazigal

I found Tamah much more difficult than the same Abaz..He casted spells,psionics,sometimes left me unconsious for some seconds(and it was not funny having Abazigal over my unconsious fighter).He had sp.sequencers with maze + the usual wing buffets and breath weapon.(Funny note: everytime Tamah fired his maze sequencer while my fighter was unconscious, instead of my fighter he mazed the nearest enemy to me :D )
    Also Tamah is the most intelligent dragon I have ever seen.Whenever he left me unconscious he went after my fighter and as soon as I stood up he fired his breath weapon immediately leaving me no time for healing.Also he is immune to vorpal hits.
    I had to use one of my last precious yellow potions with Tamah + any other possible protection (now ibratha's mirror image+gargoyle
    boots' stoneskins+imp. haste from 2 other items help really a lot)
    and I have managed to kill him after , i don't even remember , how many reloads...And you get ONLY 29000 exp. for him ! :mad:

The wyverns were easy to kill and then Abazigal ...

I defeated his human form (in the meantime I had saved the game, which was very important) and then in his dragon form the only problem was his imprisonment! I didn't want to use my last green scroll so I had to use a summon or turn into the slayer.After excluding the second option (I will never give in to the taint :nono: ) I used vh. helm, had my simul. attack Abazigal first while I shot an arrow of dispelling at him for his stoneskin and then both of us started GWW attacking him with the f.o.a. ...
    I was terrorized for an instant when I saw the ''bars'' of the imprisonment (I couldn't see my fighter or his simul. as they were behind Abazigal) but fortunately my simul. was the unlucky one.And with my next GWW attack Abazigal was dead :)

The most annoying thing about this battle is the impossibility to disrupt Tamah's or Abazigal's spell casting.It's NOT possible for someone to cast imprisonment while a 40 level fighter is hitting him with GWW attacks + the flail of ages.And there are many other LEGAL ways to make a battle more difficult or challenging than just cheating.

Now remains only Balthazar ...

15. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    *Jaw drops*

You're still alive I see. And kicking. Hard. :D
    Balthazar? You didn't install the Ascension mod, did you? From what I've read you can probably survive the fight. :)

16. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Welcome back Scythesong :wave:
    Yes I am surprised too that I went so far ...
    and I have installed Ascension - isn't Ascension that makes the ''five'' so tough ?

- With Balthazar I followed the good path and chose the dialogue options I considered most appropriate.So at the end he decided
    not to fight me but instead join with me in the ''final'' battle...

Anyway I reloaded just to see how better Ascension made him,but I found Balthazar the easiest of the 5.I killed him in about 20 seconds!(Usual prebuffing, have my simul. waiting at the lower room,go up and speak with him.Fight starts and after the first GWW attack Balthazar teleports(?) where my simul. stands.Then we both start GWW attacking him and he died immediately - Again ignored the other enemies , again the mirror image helped a lot as he wasn't able to hit me once)

So I don't know if he will really be of any help against Melissan as he said.

Now the last preparations for the final...

17. 14 Gems: 4/31

Ascension and the tougher five were made by different people, at different times etc

But... Damn ! Cannot believe what you've done...

Yeah Balthazar is easy one on one, but I found him very difficult to kill in the final fight. If you don't kill him quick, he'll use all sorts of nasty abilities he has.
    The difficult one I thought would be Yaga Shura since he has 99% resistence to pretty much everything and also regenerates and drink portions and has a goon and.... But you made it sound easy !

But anywayz, don't need to worry about that now...

A spoiler if you don't already know:

-----------------------------------------
    You have to kill all the five before you can really damage Mallison.
    ----------------------------------------

Good luck ! I think you definitely will beat the final fight. But it might just take a while.

18. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Actually, the improved five and improved gormnir (not including improved illasera) were created by the same guy who made the ascenation.

19. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

@ 14

I replayed the battle with Yaga Shura to verify that thing about the 99% resistance,because I was quite sure that I could do more damage than 1/hit.
    So I found out that if you attack him immediately when he reappears,then as you said he has 99 % phys. resistance and takes 1 damage/ hit. BUT if you wait for some time(as I did the first time I played) this resistance eventually will drop and Yaga Shura becomes more vulnerable to physical damage ;)

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Elwyn: You're talking about David Gaider methinks.

Yagashura has resistance to magic, elements etc. Not physical damage...atleast, not anything significant.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.