1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anime anyone?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mhalek, Apr 27, 2001.

1. MoonMeister Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I did mention Escaflowne, Gopher :p And you are right, it is a really good series!

Sapiryl, I didn't get to see all the episodes of BERSERK, but overall it was worth watching! Expect to be surprised if you do get to see it from beginning to end.

-MM

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

About Berserk....the manga is MUCH MUCH MUCH better.
    You've got to get your hands on it if you enjoyed the anime...

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I really enjoyed Tenchi Muyo and also Gundam Wing. There was also a large host of Hentai adult films which i won't name.

4. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Wait a minute, I thought that the 3rd Impact happened in the movie, not the final two episodes of Evangelion (unless you count the End of Evangelion as the last two episodes).

But anyway, if you're a fan of comedy, I would recommend watching Love Hina. I heard some of the voices in the English translation and it sucked bad. Get the subbed version. It's worth it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is another classic series that is a must-watch. It has great music and combined with the action scenes, it's a real killer. A lot of philosophical stuff too.

I recommend Serial Experiments Lain to anybody who loves the philosophical side of anime. It also has great art with abstract scenes and the like. But beware, if you're not capable of digesting cryptic stuff, give this one a miss. Otherwise, it's another must-see.

5. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] Ranma 1/2 and Dragonball/DBZ are all good light anime fodder, but there are many other series/movies/OVAs which bear closer scrutiny.

I really liked Battle Angel Alita; its just a crying shame that basically the first half of a fairly long manga series was crammed into 50 minutes of anime. It was still great, but could have been so much better if it was two or three times as long.

Escaflowne is, as a visionary piece, incredible. Unfortunately, the protagonist, Hitomi, got on my tits a little after a while.

The Streetfighter movie was good; Ryu's fight with Sagat at the start is awe-inspiring.

Fist of the North Star was pretty amusing for a while. However theres only so many times I can watch the beardy dude punch a fat guy in the gut, seemingly to no effect, and to walk calmly away, replying to the brute's mockery with "You're already dead" before their head explodes.

There is much more quality anime fare out there, such as Vampire Princess Miyu, Akira, Bubblegum Crash, Blood: The Last Vampire etc. and plenty of dross too, like Urotsukidoji, Violence Jack and the like.

Anyone seen 3X3 Eyes or Key: The Metal Idol? If so, are these series worth seeking out?

6. total Guest

I watched 2 random epizodes of 3x3 and didnt like it very much, it is something like horror, but i cant connect horror with anime! Story is so so, about some girl that is last of her race (she is triclops, so 3x3 eyes comes from that i think)

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Anime movies are pretty cool though there is plenty of crap spoiling the rep of the jengre. I personally hate simplex-animes like DBZ ... yuck.

Among the visually most impressive mangas I know are first of all Jin-Roh, Ghost in the Shell, BLOOD - the last vampire and Blue submarine #6.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is pretty amazing, also nice are: Princess Mononoke, Battle Angle Alita, Records of Lodoss War, Ninja Scroll and the pretty classic Maccros movie.
    However, the much praised Akira movie however, is not at all a match for the original manga comic.

8. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

I know its pretty highly acclaimed in the among the anime community, but Macross bored me to tears. The only Mecha anime ive really enjoyed is Escaflowne. Anyone seen Roujin-Z?It was on TV not so long ago and it looked pretty interesting, but I missed it. Any opinions?

9. Rhythm Gems: 11/31

Veteran

I definitely enjoyed 3x3 Eyes. It's not really horror. It's about a girl being the (supposedly) last of her race. She accidently causes an accident that leaves a young man near death. The 3-Eyes then uses her power to resurrect the young man as her 'Wu', basically, as her protector. It has some comedy and romance, but mainly is an action anime.

Has anybody watched Patlabor before? It's about a police force unit that uses giant robots to kick other giants' robot ass. I'm not really into mecha, but I kind of liked this one.

10. total Guest

You didnt read my first post :(
    I watched Patlabor Movies only (and three episodes of series but not connected). I liked both movies, great story and not much mecha in 2nd.

11. MoonMeister Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Hey Shura,

I will try to find it, you know where I can start looking?

Another thing,

I'm a bit confused about what Manga is. I have always thought of it as anime on paper format with adult content; or does it cover all types of anime in general? I know at the end of Berserk, theres nudity, tentacles, and mega violence, so would that classify it as Manga? And if not, then it must be Doujin (<--no sure spelling) right? My guess is Doujin is adult anime on paper format without the fancy coloring and touching up.

appreciate it,

-MM

[This message has been edited by MoonMeister (edited June 16, 2002).]

12. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Manga is the japanese word for comic or comic book; simple as that. The confusion around the use of the word usually stems from the fact that the company Manga Video were largely responsible for making anime available in the west. Sex-orientated anime or manga is usually referred to as hentai, and (I think) yaoi if it specifically involves homosexuality as a central theme.

So; basically, manga is any type of japanese comic. Not just the scary tentacle ones :aaa:

13. Rhythm Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Sorry total, I totally (no pun intended :p) missed your post. Good to see another person who enjoys Patlabor.

And about Manga and doujinshi (or doujin). Well, Manga is a Japanese comic that can be about anything, like Will said.

Doujinshi, on the other hand, is comics drawn by fans of the original manga. So basically, they're taking characters from a manga series and put them in their own comic. Unlike in some other parts of the world, tha manga artists don't really mind this sort of plagiarism, as long as they are given credit for the original works. Doujinshis are usually 'hentai' versions of manga which some people get a kick from.

Thus, manga can be said as the 'official' comic, and doujinshi the 'unofficial'.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken 'yaoi' is homosexuality for the male, and 'yuri' for the female.

Talking about manga, people, try to avoid purchasing anime to manga conversions. They're usually not worth the money.

[This message has been edited by Rhythm (edited June 16, 2002).]

14. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I really cannot help you find the manga. I have the whole series myself, but it's translated from japanese into chinese. And no, it's not hentai.

Just to whet your appetite: the story of Gats does not end with the rape of Casca and the deaths of the Hawks. The anime only depicts the story up till book 13 of the manga, leaving a lot of main characters and plot elements out in between. The Skull Knight, for example. He is the eternal rival of the horned demon Zodd. Gats also has a fairy companion in the manga called Puck.

Great art, an even better story than the anime, and many more chances to see Gats wielding that giant sword of his you saw briefly in the first episode! Try searching for fan translations online.

15. MoonMeister Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Ahh, i see now.. always wondered what the deal was with doujinshi too.

Thanks you guys,

-MM

16. Forashi Guest

In such a hurry I didn´t even have time to read any but the first post. Oh yeah I met Battle Angel Alita (manga) around 6 years back and I´ve been a fan of almost all things Japanese ever since. As for favorite anime: Kenshin(!), Nausicaä (or was that manga... ? :rolleyes:), Devilman, Ninja Scroll, Nadesico, Patlabor (oh yes this is so very good)... hmm. Well actually I´d have to list almost every anime I´ve ever seen so maybe I´ll let you off with this. Though there are so many more that I like. Best: Kenshin, Patlabor.

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I have seen Records of Lodoss War, a Anime movie a bit based on D&D. The story was good but some things were annoying, like characters always saing "HUH" when something happens, and when two people start fighting each other, you see 30 seconds the first character screaming yaaaaaaaaaah the whole time while flying in the air, and then also 30 seconds the other one.... and that sucks :)

18. the god Gems: 13/31

eva, perfect blue, ninja scroll, ghost in the shell, akira (though domu would've made a better anime).

produce my own doujinshi (when i get time) called manganese.

[deity edity]: favourite manga are lone wolf and cub, dragonball, cityhunter, rurouni kenshin (anime also good)

[This message has been edited by the god (edited June 17, 2002).]

19. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Akira
    Ghost In The Shell
    Perfect Blue
    Vampire Hunter D
    Princess Monononononononononononononononokoe
    Urotsukidiji (sex and violence, thats about it)
    Cowboy Bebop
    The entire series and movies of Eva

thats what i love

20. Forashi Guest

Oh yes I wouldn´t show them enough respect if I didn´t mention them as well. Ghost in the Shell is about as good as patlabor in the sense of being a very serious movie. Akira goes without saying, Tetsuo kicks ass. And I´ve only seen the first what, 8 episodes(?) of Evangelion but I really want to see more. Just waiting for more DVD´s to arrive. Anime has the best of action, feeling, looks, inside jokes, and most of all.. music. I really haven´t been able to find almost any music within the last 6 years that would come even close to what is in an average anime or jcrpg that get as far as Finland (hate dubs btw, originality is always the best).

Just forget about those Urotsukidoji and such. A certain amount of *sexual* tention is of course good but there´s a limit to everything. Has any of you non-hentai fans out there experienced this: A friend of mine (a fullblood fight/slaughter/monster fan) bought Wicked City because of the slaugter -filled trailer and was quite surprised to see that it was full tentaclerape. After that we both had *some* reservations about ninja scroll. Luckily it turned out that the maker of Wicked City was able to control himself better in that one, though it too contained some of the same material.. in barely acceptable limits of course.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.