1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Another Discussion on Circumcision

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by LKD, Jul 20, 2010.

1. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Wow, I didn't know circumcision is such a big issue. Here, boys just submit themselves to a week of skirt-wearing incidents rather than be ridicule by their peers for being uncircumcised. At least that was our major concerns back then.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    He would have been labelled regardless. Everyone in both my family and my wife's family are Catholic - most of whom are much more devout than me and my wife. He would have been labelled as "not baptised" and "not Catholic" by everyone else in the family. I just picked which label he got, and I went with the one that caused the least family strife.

Keep in mind, I don't see anything necessarily bad about being labelled "Catholic". While I am not a religious person, I was raised Catholic and did all the Catholic crap you're supposed to do when you're growing up. I got baptised, I received communion, I was confirmed, and heck, I even got married in a Catholic church. I tend to think of myself as none the worse for wear after these experiences.

The truth is, I don't spend a lot of my time thinking about God/religion, and God/religion is not a major part of my life. Perhaps I would think differently about such a label - if I thought about such things at all.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Much of the conflict in the world would be impossible to exist if it wasn't for labels. The Catholics couldn't fight the Protestants in Northern Ireland if people didn't have those labels. A Palestinian shot my Dad, so I'll go and shoot a Palestinian to make it even. A Muslim blew up the World Trade Centre, so I'm going to punch the next Muslim I see.

Labels like these create enemies where none really existed.

I know I'm living in cuckoo land if I think this is ever going to change, but I'm certainly going to do my little bit to try and make sure I'm not perpetuating the practice (although, being human, I know I will lapse into it at times).

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    :confused: Um... OK... The people engaging in such activities are fanatical zealots. I'm trying... hard... to see how this relates to my son being baptised, beyond a very tangental way.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] If the automatic presumption is that labels are for prejudice, then yes they're going to be negative.

If you are labelling someone beyond how they identify themselves then that is you branding people as you see them and based on your own presumption. (Such as random image sites where the pictures of fat people usually end up being tagged 'American')

'Labels' are only effective means of identifying yourself or others if understood, whether that be race, religion, nationality or so on. They're guidelines to a collection of behaviours, beliefs and cultural distinctions when dealing with other people.

As social creatures humans will always adapt to certain common traits that suit them

6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    That's a bit ridiculous, honestly. Your 'labels' might be no more than a definition of a group of people standing together. What's wrong with identifying them (see, it's even a pronoun) as 'them?' e.g. "They shot my Dad, so I'll go and shoot them." 'They' don't have to be palestinians or anything else, so removing the label doesn't make conflict "impossible."

You sound like you're reciting a conditioned rant on this label business anyway, HB, rather than speaking from the heart or your own intellect.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm just having a bit of a John Lennon "Imagine" type moment. In my mind, labels make it easier for people to be prejudiced. And there's way too much prejudice in the world. If there was no such thing as a "Jew", who would Hitler have gassed? If there was no such thing as a "Protestant", who would the Irish Catholics have fights with? If there was no such thing as an "Palestinian", who would be fighting who in the Middle East?

You guys are all intelligent people and I enjoy hearing your points of view on things. You help me understand the world that little bit better.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It's hardly a waste of time. Spreading such ignorance achieves the desired political results. The truth doesn't matter, only that there is political gain out of keeping people ignorant of the real facts. In the case of Obama, smearing him with whatever will appear to stick to him is the real goal of his detractors. No. it's not a waste of time, it is how politics are played here in the USA by people who are desperate to get the black Muslim guy out of office. This is what a party of bankrupt ideas resorts to when it lacks any real solutions; accusing a Christian president of being a "muslim" who "pals around with terrorists."

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    As Aldeth points out, everyone had labels. I'll go one step beyond that, though, and say that it isn't even being those things that gives you the label. It's people wanting to label you one way. He could just as easily be a non-man, a non-white, a non-second-generation-Italian-American, and a non-Democrat. Those are all labels, too, and several of them have had some very nasty things associated with them in the past.

I can just as easily label you a labeler, because you brought the topic up, or an anti-labeler, because you oppose labels. The issue isn't that you are something, it's that people choose to label you as such.

Trust me, if these labels weren't there, people would find other reasons to hate and kill each other. It's been proven throughout history.

I'm sorry, but John Lennon was wrong.:rolleyes:

As for who Hitler would have gassed: the Polls, the retarded, the homosexual, the opposition, and generally anyone he and his guards didn't like. Only one of those is really a label. The rest are states of being.

10. Harbourboy

I disagree with that logic. You're saying we might as well group people under arbitrary headings because someone bad is going to do it anyway, so there's nothing we can do about it. And labels like "Democrat" or "White" lead to just as many erroneous generalisations as religious labels.

See Ragusa's "Einstein" thread for yet another classic example, where he makes generalisations about so-called "Conservatives", which other people have rushed in to say don't apply to all "Conservatives".

I should probably balance things out by saying that some descriptions for groups are valid, like "female" or "diabetics" because there is a definite definition and a reason for the name. But others seem to create more problems than they solve.

It doesn't look like we are going to agree on this (or that anyone is going to agree with me) so I'll chalk this up as yet another way that I can't change the world.

joacqin likes this.
  11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I agree with this.

What you said is just one side of it. You have a point that when you say that we'll simply make some arbitrary headings as someone would eventually do. But you forgot that people actually group themselves together according what they feel is right or comfortable with. Think about it, labels are actually slap on others simply because there are precedent groups who grouped themselves as such. And the actions or ideals of these groups are what prompted others to label people who are in essence similar to these groups. In another way of looking at it, people grouped together and label themselves. So labeling is not just something about others branding others but simply people labeling themselves. And finally, we do have to consider that when people starts to group, it also means exclusion. Whoever doesn't share the same perspective or qualifies in the group are considered to be not part of the group. So here's a group and there's the excluded, you can certainly expect some conflict will have to take place in one way or another.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.